Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-11-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
Kay57

1/16 grout line - grout type & other concerns

Hello everyone, first time poster here...

My contractor installed our backyard tiles (24Ēx48Ē rectified porcelain tile) with a 1/16 grout line and Iím wondering if itís better to use sanded or unsanded grout. Iíve always heard that unsanded is better for grout lines less than 1/8 but that sanded is better for flooring... so since this is flooring that is 1/16 Iím not sure which would be best. Unfortunately I donít have the most confidence in my contractor as there have already been a number of mistakes.

A separate but related question I have is whether it was a good idea to do 1/16 grout line to begin with. I asked him to do the thinnest grout line possible so Iím worried he did this just to appease me when maybe 1/8 wouldíve been better. I called the vendor who sold me the tiles and they recommended 1/8 but said 1/16 should be okay with an experienced installer. What risks might we run into with a 1/16 grout vs 1/8? Cracking? Lippage? The tiles are in a grid (vs offset) if that matters.

Thanks all for your input!!

-Kay
Kay57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2019, 01:44 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Kay...With a tile that large, they would have to be extremely close to identical in size for that small of a joint...and generally does require unsanded grout and I try to avoid as it doesn't seem to hold up as well as sanded grout. Prism grout from Home Depot would work, but I would go no smaller than 1/8" inch, and at that point, you can use a sanded product.

Cracking is a possibility with the unsanded in an outdoor situation. Lippage has zero to do with grout suitability; that's strictly a function of the installer's expertise in setting the tile.

Got a pic?

Just re-read your post and I see the tiles are already in, so looks like grout size discussions are moot. Take a look at the Prism grout...

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:10 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Kay, and welcome to the forum.

I think Laz about covered it. If the tiles are set correctly 1/16 in. joints should be okay. I would have gone a bit wider, though.

Maybe you can put up a picture or two.
John Bridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I normally go with 1/8 joints with tiles that size. The Prism grout Laz mentioned works with 1/16 joints although there are other grouts that work also.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #5
Kay57

Thanks everyone for your input! I will definitely look into the grout you suggested. Hereís a photo for your reference... itís almost half done so too late to redo with 1/8. Hopefully it turns out okay with the 1/16 and we donít run into any issues later on 🤞🏻 I plan to use a light gray or white colored grout to make it look as seamless as possible... do you think that would help conceal any potential unevenness?
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2019, 08:34 PM   #6
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Pictures won't say much about lippage...you need to judge that, but the line consistency looks good....

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:50 PM   #7
makethatkerdistick

Can you explain the "number of mistakes" you said your contractor has made? They're not evident from the picture.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #8
Lou_MA

At that bottom intersection, looks like the joints are starting to wander. I prob would’ve gone with at least 1/8” as well.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase