Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-09-2019, 08:45 PM   #1
BridgeBlder559

Ditra install

I’m going to do some tile on 2nd story house has 3/4 inch osb with 16 o.c timber strands. I took linoleum of and has 1/4 plywood underneath with staples I got glue off looks really good. My question should I remove 1/4 plywood or just install Ditra over it ..? Thoughts suggestions please. Also in master bathroom also upstairs ripped up existing tile in which they previous owners had installed tile over Ditra but they did not thinset it down . They stapled the hell out of it . I’m excited though easy demo .
Unread 06-09-2019, 09:33 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Chris.

I trust by "timber strands" you're referring to your floor joists (a geographic location in your User Profile would help here)?

Have you evaluated the joist to determine their suitability for a ceramic tile installation?

The quarter-inch plywood needs to be removed before installing the Ditra. The nominal 3/4" OSB meets Schluter's requirements for subflooring, but you'll need to select a thinset mortar whose manufacturer will accept bonding to that material.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2019, 11:01 PM   #3
Kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
The nominal 3/4" OSB meets Schluter's requirements for subflooring, but you'll need to select a thinset mortar whose manufacturer will accept bonding to that material.
What if he just staples the hell out of it?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #4
cx
Da Home Builder

Well, yes, there's that method, Kevin.

Actually, as I recall, a manufacturer of a competing product argued in court that the fact that his membrane separated from the substrate somewhat catastrophically was simply an indication that it "uncoupled" and that since it was advertised as an uncoupling membrane that did not constitute a product failure. I'm thinking they did not prevail with that argument, but I can't actually testify to that.

But that's at least part of the reason that the tile industry, although there is still no standard for such products, requires that the membrane at least remain bonded to the substrate with a shear bond strength of a minimum of 50psi. Can you achieve that by stapling? I dunno.

Unread 06-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

OFten, that 1/4" ply underneath is something like a luan, or similar hardwood. That stuff has an oily substance in it that doesn't agree with cement based mortars. If it's a pine or fir, and you anchored it really well, you've got a chance. That's assuming that it's got C-faces or better...something you can't really tell at this point. A D-face will have voids, something you do NOT want in a tiled substrate.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2019, 07:37 PM   #6
BridgeBlder559

Yes joists are timber strands . Cannot evaluate them cause it is subfloor for second story no access. But house is 10 years old . So I’m going to just rip off the sheeting plywood or luan . And go over the osb . I’m laying 36’x6” tiles . What size not trowel for laying the ditra .?? 3/16 v notch is what I’ve been seeing . What notch trowel for tile laying 1/2x1/2 I’m guessing. That’s what I used on concrete floor does ditra change that ..? And also what about prefilling ditra before tile installment. I’ve read it’s easier. I would think more likely to fail as it is cured already I might not bond as well .?? Thanks a ton for all the info appreciate it very.!
Unread 06-10-2019, 08:04 PM   #7
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Yes to your ditra trowel size.
It takes a lot of mud to fill those voids in the ditra. just mix up a batch and start at it if you have any extra when you want to take a break go ahead and fill up the voidz in a far corner you're not working at. Mix another batch and continue. or you can feel all the voids first but the problem is it's going to have a bunch of bumps on it and hard chunks that you need to clean up first.

Have some real good knee pads.
Unread 06-10-2019, 08:10 PM   #8
cx
Da Home Builder

OK, so we're talking about TimberStrand engineered wood joists, right?

Engineered wood framing is generally specified to at least meet building code, but one can never be sure. If you're planning to tile over it without first finding out what you've got, I guess we'll just start from there.

If you'll visit the Ditra website and download the Installation Handbook, you'll find manufacturer recommended trowel sizes there.

As for pre-filling and bonding tile to the Ditra, keep in mind that thinset mortar does not adhere to the Ditra membrane, it simply fills the engineered contours of the material, sets up, and provides a mechanical bond. The manufacturer approves of the pre-filling of the "waffles" as an acceptable method of installing tiles, but I believe they'd still prefer that you fill and set at the same time. Many pros here report pre-filling all their installations.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 06-11-2019, 06:10 AM   #9
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

prefilling does let you put guide lines that have a half a chance of being there when you set the tiles. I really need to put some ditra down in the far side of my bath floor so I can start prefilling with any leftover thinset as I tile the shower...
Unread 06-11-2019, 07:41 AM   #10
Kman

Prefilling allows you to see your chalk lines, and have a little time during the installation. But that's about it.

You'll also find yourself sweeping the mortar dust every few minutes, since simply walking across it scrapes a fine layer off the top.

That said, when I install Ditra I use whatever mortar I have left over to pre fill. No sense in wasting it.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #11
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

IF you're using chalk lines on Ditra, the magic solution is hair spray. After snapping the line, give it a spritz of hair spray. It will stay in place then. As said, the thinset doesn't stick to it, so it doesn't produce a bond breaker situation. The dovetail holes in the mat are what holds the thinset and therefore the tile in place...it's not a cement bond to the mat (but is to the tile).

The holes in Ditra will be solid if you prefill, but any thinset that is above them tends to crack and flake off if you walk on it, and that should be removed prior to later applying the setting bed and tile. So, in some ways, it's more work, but you will save some money rather than throwing away excess thinset...so, it's a tradeoff of time versus money. Unless you contaminate the prefill, new thinset will bond to the old. You will find it works best, similar to most things, to wipe the surface with a damp sponge prior to spreading the thinset, as what's already there will tend to suck moisture out of the fresh stuff unless you add some first, making it get stiff sooner.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase