Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #1
Shaillen

Interior stone accent wall questions

I'm putting a stone accent wall in a kitchen I'm working on, and although I've done some tile I'm not really a mason, so I'm looking for any advice I can get.

The stone we're using is Beuchel veneer stone about 1.25" thick, and the surface is 1/2" durock screwed and glued over top of existing drywall. The mortar is specmix white type N mortar, and in my initial testing I'm concerned the mortar won't sufficiently adhere to the durock. I'm thinking of adding essentially a scratch coat of type N mortar thinset for large tiles on the wall with a notched trowel, as that mortar seems to adhere well to the cement board.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 06-08-2019, 04:14 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Scott.

Is this the product you're planning to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
...a scratch coat of type N mortar thinset...
Not sure what you might mean there. Keep in mind that "thinset" is not a product, it's a method of setting ceramic tile. And there are thinset mortars that I think would be far better for setting your stone than the Type N mortar you have indicated you would use. I think you'll find that won't stick your stones to the Durock well at all. In fact, I can't think of an application where I'd use a mortar of grade lower than S and I wouldn't use that alone for a veneer application.

There are several manufacturers of ceramic tile installation products that have developed their own installation "systems" for those thin stone installations. I know Laticrete, MAPEI, and Custom all have such systems and they were developed because of the very high failure rate of the manufacturers' methods of installation using low grade brick mortars. Entirely up to you what you wanna use.

How large is this wall on which you plan to install the stone veneer?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 06-08-2019 at 07:52 PM. Reason: typo
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:34 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Some systems call for wire lath to be nailed up and then a scratch coat but without lath nailed up, the fat mud won't bond well to the CBU. I have seen installers use fat mud to hold the stone to the scratch but I've also seen a lot of loose stones after a while.

Years ago, a good friend of mine was a construction manager for the builder I worked for. He grew up as a mason installing lots of veneer stone. When he built his own house, he used fat mud to hold the stone to the scratch. I told him to add some thinset to his mud and of course he was the expert and wouldn't listen. Periodically I would go visit him and reminded him when several stone fell off his house and were laying on the ground. He didn't recall me recommending the thinset.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:06 PM   #4
Shaillen

This is the thinset mortar I was referring to... had some left over from another job.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase