Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-27-2019, 08:08 PM   #16
cx
Da Home Builder

Doug, I believe the "systems" you're asking about are lippage control systems, mechanical devices that help reduce the height difference between adjacent tiles. They do nothing at all in regards to leveling.

You really want that substrate as flat as you can get it before you start setting your tiles, whether you elect to use one of those lippage control systems to help you or not.

If you have a major dip in your surface, I'd advise you correct that before you go any further. If you're sure it's just a low spot, you can fill it with a patching compound. Many people use thinset mortar for that purpose, but that's not what that mortar is designed for.

If, instead, you actually have a "bulge" as you describe it, you'll want to remove the bulge. Is it at a seam in your CBU installation? Is it due to your having overfilled and taped that joint, perhaps? Whatever you've got, you want to fix it.

I don't see where you ever answered an earlier question about the size of your tiles. That has a bearing on the required flatness.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:10 PM   #17
dmypub

Options for filling gap between tile countertop and wall

In the home stretch finishing off my tile countertop ! I have a 1/2 - 3/4 inch gap between my tile and wall. I've had a lot of trouble cutting pieces of tile this narrow - some luck with a wet saw. I'd rather find another option for filling in this gap along my wall - which is going to be tiled with a backsplash. So what would be my best option for filling this gap - 1) cut narrow pieces of tile to fill the gap 2) fill the gap with thinset 3) fill the gap with some other type of material ? thanks for any pointers !
Old 06-09-2019, 11:12 PM   #18
Kman

If your backsplash tile won't cover that gap, you'll need something there to fill it in. I'd cut the tile in thin pieces to fill the space, and also to support the backsplash tile when installing it.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:48 AM   #19
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Consider DILEX-AHKA. It may cover this sliver tile .did you install some of the tile yet?
How wide are your grout lines? With a properly working wet saw that adjusted correctly and decent tile you should be able to cut 1/2 inch strips almost 100% of the time without cracking.

Will hide 3/4" from wall surface.
I bought the inside corner and also the in peace but the end piece disappointed me and didn't go all the way to the wall so they expect you to have tile continuous or use some type of metal like Jolly for the edge
Attached Images

Last edited by Elkski; 06-10-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Elkski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #20
dmypub

That AHKA is exactly what I need - was having a difficult time understanding the dimensions of this product - 3/4 inch should work fine. I can cut narrow slices - but I have a hard time because the length of my tile is about 24 inches - they tend to break easily. AHKA should cover up most of these short pieces. Thanks !
Old 06-10-2019, 12:57 PM   #21
Elkski

Make sure you look and find drawings of how the end pieces finish off those ends. It basically leaves near the wall open for whatever mm you order. That picture is of the 125 mm size.
Do you have a plunge capability on your saw. Then you score the top and make 8 passes going deeper each pass.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:07 AM   #22
Elkski

Cut this in about 12 passes with the saw on plunge. the tile hungover my table about 5 in
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase