Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-28-2019, 07:48 PM   #46
Johnny22

I just received my Kerdi curbs and unfortunately they are not sloped.

Is there a method folks think is the best to create a small slope? Would doing a thinset slope on top be appropriate? That would be my preference I'm just not sure it will hold and not break with the weight of the glass panels. Last thing I want is for the curb not to be structurally sound.

I'm almost considering returning these and just building my own curb with wood which will cost me next to nothing. But I was really trying to avoid using wood.

Any ideas??

Thanks guys
Unread 05-28-2019, 08:44 PM   #47
makethatkerdistick

I think the foam curbs are overpriced. If you can return them, build your curb from wood, dress it with backer board, create a little slope from thinset mortar or fat mud on top and finish with Kerdi membrane. Some people like to create the slope when they install the backer board onto the wood. Whatever you do, it's important that the slope be under the Kerdi membrane not on top.

If you want to keep the foam curbs and have a table saw, you could cut them at a slight angle.
Unread 05-28-2019, 10:39 PM   #48
Kman

I'd also recommend using lumber, wrapped with either sheetrock or cement board.

If you decide to use the Kerdi curb, use a table saw to shave the tops of the curbs at an angle, it only takes about 1/16 - 1/8" to get the proper slope. That's assuming your floor is flat and level.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2019, 05:14 AM   #49
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Another way to get slope is to add a row of shims under the top 2x4. A dot of PL Premium will hold them in place. You can even adjust the shims to get the top of the curb level long ways. Or, rip the top 2x4 giving it a slight angle.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2019, 05:20 AM   #50
Radas
Tile Newbie

If you're using a granite or quartz slab for your curb, I had pretty good luck with creating a flat/square curb, mitering the edges of the slab where the meet in the outside corner, and then creating the slope by bedding a few tile spacers into the modified thinset on the outside edge of the curb before setting the slab. This allowed me to make minor tweaks to the slab before it was permanently set and epoxied together.

..a new excuse to hoard tools
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #51
Johnny22

Thanks all.

I'm also considering a custom shower niche.

I'm doing my shower using Kerdi Boards and the Schluter system generally. For the niche, do i need to do the inside / outside corners using their "pre-made" corners? These are very pricey pieces, i'm going to have a ton of leftover membrane, can i just mold that and use that for the corners? Or is something other than Kerdi better for a niche?

Thank you all!
Unread 06-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #52
makethatkerdistick

You can fold your own corners from Kerdiband. You end up with a pinhole in the corner which is still approved by Schluter. Folks on here have smeared a dab of Kerdifix over said pinhole. If you use the membrane (and not the band), then you'll have substantially more buildup.

You could do a hybrid niche with Redgard that is then painted over the Kerdiboard where it meets your niche. But that's not an approved method, and I personally wouldn't do it.

Best to stick to the Kerdi methods in my opinion regardless whether preformed or folded corners are used. The big disadvantage is the buildup in the corners. That's one thing I really don't like about Kerdi. Less of a problem if you use big wall tile but more prominent for smaller tile. If you use a preformed Kerdi niche, then you won't have to struggle with the inside corners.
Unread 06-05-2019, 09:02 AM   #53
Johnny22

Shower Curb Slope

I'm planning to create a slope on my pre-fab Kerdi curb, then apply the waterproofing to that sloped surface.

For the actual tiling, i'm going to go with a solid piece of marble/granite, so likely won't have any grout lines on top of the curb for water to seep through. my plan is to add extra thinset on top of the waterproofing membrane, in order to essentially level the curb for putting on the stone on top.

Does anyone see any issues with that? Notwithstanding water will sit on top of the curb potentially, the waterproofing layer underneath will be slanted so I should be okay?

I'm trying to avoid sloping the actual curb, think the shower would be more structurally sound with a flat top to put the glass on... i'm just not comfortable having a sloping surface with 100lb glass, does not make sense to me.

Unless you folks see a massive flaw here, I think this system should work fine, esp if the marble is sealed and the water has nowhere to go but sit on top and evaporate. Again, the waterpfooring is sloped, so if anything does get through, it'll drain properly.

Thanks in advance.
Unread 06-05-2019, 10:09 AM   #54
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

I suppose your theory holds some water, and your curb topper will too! And with those wide Kerdi curbs that area will be significant.

There is no reason to be concerned with slope on surface and support of glass. Even if you could somehow pinpoint that weight on, say 1" square area, there'd be no reason for concern provided mortar coverage is adequate.

My beef with foam curbs is their width. Why take up floor space with wide curb? And even sloped, it will hold some water due to surface tension. I use 2" Kerdi Board and end up with a 3 1/2" topper.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2019, 01:21 PM   #55
makethatkerdistick

I see a massive flaw with a non-sloped curb top. Too much water will sit there and not evaporate in a few hours.
Unread 06-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #56
Lou_MA

You really only need 1/16” or so of slope to the inside. Wouldn’t give me any concern about mounting a glass panel on it.
Unread 06-06-2019, 06:19 PM   #57
Kman

John, glass has been sitting on sloped curbs for many years with no problems. If you have the appropriate amount of coverage between the waterproofing layer and the tile, it'll hold the glass and a lot more.

Obviously the more you slope it, the faster that water will run off, but if you just get between 1/16" and 1/8", it'll be fine.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2019, 05:30 AM   #58
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

What Kevin said. Also, sealing the stone has little to do with holding back water. Give it a little slope, doesn't take much.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2019, 06:16 AM   #59
Radas
Tile Newbie

What others have said, your granite/marble curb should be sloped 1/8" to 1/16". Some glass installers will not install glass over flat curbs FYI - because the customer blames the installer for water leaking outside of the shower from the curb area because it does not have the opportunity to runoff.

To slope your curb, bed a few tile spacers into the modified thinset on the outside edge of the curb before setting the slab. The glass is typically supported by wall brackets as well so your sloped floor will not cause issues.

..a new excuse to hoard tools
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2019, 06:37 AM   #60
Johnny22

Thanks guys, i guess I will do a slope.

Do you all recommend doing the glass myself? I have the panels, i took them off in order to demolish the old shower. Does not seem that difficult, albeit they are very heavy.

Or is that something I should outsource?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase