Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-24-2018, 01:23 PM   #31
Radas
Tile Newbie

Thank you all, I'll look for exterior glue plywood at Home Depot later today. I wonder if they'd cut it to my tray dimensions in house.

Ended up using a DeWalt multi tool with 2x4 blade to cut the XPS and expanding foam flush with the 2x4s. Took about 5 minutes

As it turns out, after assembling my curb Lincoln log style with glue/screws and squaring it with the shower, I end with dimensions of 39.25"x60" (excluding the bumpout on the back). Kerdi makes a center tray that is 38"x60" which requires a drain relocation 6" further back than the current position and with drywall and kerdi on the walls and curb, I'm left with 1/8"-1/16" play on either side which will be filled with sikaflex construction adhesive prior to kerdi band. Looks like I accidentally hit the jackpot. Ordered the kerdi tray for $100 and will only need drypack for the bumpout.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Attached Images

..a new excuse to hoard tools

Last edited by jgleason; 02-11-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2018, 04:46 PM   #32
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Normally, Home Depot will cut plywood to any size you want.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2018, 05:38 PM   #33
Radas
Tile Newbie

Last update before plumbing, drain relocation, and adding plywood to the subfloor. Going to plumb a delta multichoice r10000 valve and 3/6 diverter in preparation for a hand shower on the wall where the plumbing is located and a rain shower head on the ceiling centered to the drain.

Spent hours in between family events to remove the glue from the 2x4 walls and remove drywall remnants from the walls and ceiling.

Merry Christmas all.

Attached Images

Last edited by jgleason; 02-11-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Unread 12-25-2018, 08:15 PM   #34
smifwal

in post #19 you have a picture of your p-trap and it appears to be turned past 90 degrees or maybe I am looking at it wrong, anyway here in kc that is considered illegal. maybe a real plumber can chime in and tell me I am crazy
Unread 12-25-2018, 08:25 PM   #35
Radas
Tile Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smifwal View Post
in post #19 you have a picture of your p-trap and it appears to be turned past 90 degrees or maybe I am looking at it wrong, anyway here in kc that is considered illegal. maybe a real plumber can chime in and tell me I am crazy
Shawn you are not mistaken, that ptrap is turned all the way around. I will be correcting this when I relocate the drain 6" further back.

Unread 12-26-2018, 07:05 AM   #36
smifwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by radas
I relocate the drain 6"
that's good. it is crazy how the inspector can miss something like that
Unread 12-26-2018, 08:36 AM   #37
speed51133

can you explain to me what it means for the p trap to be turned past 90? I dont get it
Unread 12-26-2018, 08:56 AM   #38
Radas
Tile Newbie

He's referring to the orientation of that ptrap. I didn't know if that violates Michigan UPC, but it could have been avoided by cutting the tail piece shorter. Regardless, the municipal plumbing inspector was the same one that approved the unsloped, duct taped PVC liner.

Attached Images

Last edited by jgleason; 02-11-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Unread 12-26-2018, 09:03 AM   #39
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
What's the deal with that section of duct work Ali?
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #40
Radas
Tile Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
What's the deal with that section of duct work Ali?
No clue Dan, the builder claimed that the municipality would not let them cap off that section of ducting. My guess is that it's there to provide a small amount of heat to that insulated pex line on the far right since the bathroom area overhangs the garage. I'm going to cap it off and throw some bat insulation in that cavity.

Unread 12-26-2018, 11:19 AM   #41
smifwal

The photo with the red X is a example of the p-trap turned past 90. The other is what I did to correct the problem. I sent this to a plumber friend of mine I was trying to figure out how to move this drain with out cutting the whole thing out and he said the trap is illegal and the vent was supposed to be on a 45 and it was laying flat, he didn't explain the reason why and he is a busy guy so I was just happy to have the solution. My guess is that it harder for the water to make the push at that angle. Again that is just a guess
Attached Images

Unread 12-26-2018, 05:23 PM   #42
Radas
Tile Newbie

Not sure it would matter with a shower since there are no solids but turning the trap like that doesn't look professional.

Some progress today:

Replaced the trap and centered the drain. The trap is glued and the riser is pressure fit until I get the kerdi tray/drain set.

Added 23/32" exterior plywood and used subfloor glue/screws to secure it over the OSB.

Attached Images

Last edited by jgleason; 02-11-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Unread 12-26-2018, 06:43 PM   #43
workhurts

Not seeing anything in the code that would keep you from twirling the P trap around in whatever direction you wanted. Only related reference to 90 degrees is this one:

(ii)Trap arm offset. The piping between the ā€œPā€ trap and vent may change direction or be offset horizontally with the equivalent of no more than 180 degrees total change in direction with a maximum of 90 degrees by any one fitting.

I've seen multiple threads on other forums stating that a p trap can point in any direction. The above code is post p trap (I think).

Anyway, not a plumber here so take it for what it's worth.
Unread 12-26-2018, 08:25 PM   #44
smifwal

Sorry to derail your thread. I will ask him next time I have something else come up that I need advice from him. But he is like the folks on here super detail oriented and you will never find something on his jobs that is "good enough" the only reason he even knows those words is cause his dad told him when he was young, you are going to here this a lot from different guys on different jobs don't ever let me catch you being that guy
Unread 12-26-2018, 08:36 PM   #45
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The p-trap can be rotated any way you want to get things to line up and have no impact on its operation. There are limits on the pipe runs both prior to and after the trap (continuous slope of at least 1/4"/foot), and where the vent takeoff is (within the specified distance of the trap for the diameter of the pipe, dependent on the code cycle you must utilize - UPC is more strict than IPC).
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase