Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-15-2019, 05:00 PM   #1
pdxgman

Shower floor cracking

Hi all, I have appreciated the informative and friendly folks here and the wealth of experience in this forum. With that, I come to you for some advice. I have a 14 year old home (of which I've lived for 9) and noticed a few weeks ago a 1" crack in the floor of my shower. Its now 3". I am not the original homeowner owner, so I cant really speak to how it was constructed. On the advice of a tie setter I called, I did get into the crawlspace down below today and couldn't find any apparent sign on water damage or leakage, though I admit with all the insulation is wasn't easy to spot it. I'm not sure if there is a way to stop this from getting worse, seal it, or repair it. Thanks in advance for your consideration.
Attached Images

pdxgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2019, 08:20 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Dave.

Cracked tiles are generally the result of differential movement of the substrate or between the tile and substrate. Without knowing how your shower was constructed, it's not really even reasonable for us to guess at the probable cause.

But if your shower was properly constructed using one of the industry accepted methods, that crack should not result in any water leakage from your shower at all. It's technically a tile installation failure, but primarily an aesthetic consideration if there is not a more serious underlying problem.

A photo from a bit further away for some perspective might help. I can't tell if that's a floor/wall joint or something else.

Speaking of the floor/wall joints, are those joints grouted or filled with a flexible sealant. Again, I can't really tell from your photo, but if that's a floor/wall joint it appears that there might be some separation occurring at that junction. Is that the case?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:38 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If I'm remembering correctly, every time I've see cracked shower floor tiles, the plywood was getting wet and swelling.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase