Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 06-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #1
makethatkerdistick

Kerdifix and waterproofing / Kerdi bonding fleece

Just watched this interesting video by Isaac Ostrom (who is also a member here). I know that Isaac has ruffled some feathers among the traditional "Schluterists" but I am thankful for these videos. They seem to be made in an honest and straightforward fashion.

I have never used Kerdi-Fix, always opted for the cheaper thinset plus overlap method. After watching this I am glad I did. I think that the theory of the fatter bonding fleece allowing for water to travel behind the Kerdi-Fix bond holds some merit. The benefit of some of the thinner membranes by the competition have been touted by forum members on here many times. It seems that there might be additional benefits to a thinner bonding fleece, not just less build-up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn-rVIKihcY

I hope/think that Schluter is using something else to attach the Kerdi fabric to the bonding flange of their linear drains. When I installed mine, I spotted a red sealant, and each linear drain comes with an individual acknowledgement of factory testing (although I am not sure what it is exactly that gets tested).

Kerdi seems to be the granddaddy of surface membranes. Perhaps it deserves an update to improve its performance?
How about a sealant material that can be used in lieu of thinset and that would actually provide 100% watertight performance, submerged or not?
Unread 06-15-2019, 04:24 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Excellent video and brings up some valid points. Kerdi-Fix was not designed to be used as a waterproofing medium when used in conjunction with Kerdi fabric. It's good for what it was designed for, but Kerdi gets it's waterproofing from the adhesion of morter between two sheets of the Kerdi product.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2019, 07:47 PM   #3
makethatkerdistick

Well, Schluter isn't really clear about the Kerdi-Fix. To me, this is somewhat open to interpretation:
"Creates a sealed system to eliminate leaks and reduce the potential for efflorescence and mold growth"

Officially, this is what Kerdi-Fix is for:

"Suitable for bonding KERDI-BAND and KERDI waterproofing membrane to fixed building elements and BARA balcony profiles"

"Creates a sealed system to eliminate leaks and reduce the potential for efflorescence and mold growth"

"Elastomeric and bonds well to most materials, including wood, stone, concrete, metal, glass, and many plastics"

"Suitable for use as a sealant or joint filling compound"

People on here use Kerdi-Fix often to smear a dab in a folded Kerdiband corner or to go over Kerdi seams. According to Schluter, this is not its intended use. There is no mention of it being used between membrane overlap. Yet this has become one of its more popular applications. Based on the test performed in the video, this is basically a wasted effort. Or do I see that wrong?
Unread 06-15-2019, 10:32 PM   #4
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

People will do lotsa things but I think "fixed building elements" pretty much says it all.....

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2019, 08:14 AM   #5
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
interesting that it worked with Nobleseal TS and Valueseal..
Unread 06-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #6
Lou_MA

Interesting. I had a recent thread related to this -

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...d.php?t=127537

Schluter tech support and my local rep both recommended / signed off on using Kerdi Fix between two layers of Kerdi. Their main reservation was that it would be messy and difficult to work with, not that it would impact the integrity of the waterproofing.

At the pan / wall joints and the outside corners where the curb hits the walls, I ended up outlining where the Kerdi would go, carefully using a very small toothed trowel to trowel out K-Fix, then embedded the Kerdi. The pan held water for a 48 hour flood test. I did install the rest of the corners and the entire floor *after* the Kerdi-Fixed sections. Don’t know if the sequence made a difference.

Last edited by cx; 07-05-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Lou_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2019, 11:36 AM   #7
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I use sealant (not Kerdifix) for both Valueseal and Wedi Subliner and both work perfectly. Every shower gets flood tested and most get inspected.

So we've had two different videos: one discrediting the 2-inch thinset overlap and one discrediting a seam with sealant?

I didn't watch either video so I'm not sure I have that straight.
Unread 07-01-2019, 01:25 PM   #8
houndzilla

As someone who is about ready to seal Kerdi to a custom length linear drain using Kerdi-fix this is pretty concerning.
Unread 07-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #9
Lou_MA

Could always switch to noble membrane and noblesealant 150. Quickdrain linear drains used to use that combo.
Unread 07-01-2019, 03:27 PM   #10
makethatkerdistick

George, I'd call Schluter about this. It seems like the red sealant they use for the factory installation of the drain flap is not the same as Kerdi-Fix, at least from what the color indicates.
That's the most vulnerable spot of the whole assembly. You want to get that step right. Intuitively, I'd guess a good epoxy resin might be a better choice for long-term bonding strength. Just my guess, though.

If yours is a non-Kerdi drain (otherwise you would have the flap factory-attached, would you not?), they'll probably tell you that there won't be any warranty. I'd personally bite the bullet and get a Kerdi drain.
Unread 07-01-2019, 04:51 PM   #11
Lou_MA

I’m not convinced that a Kerdi Fix seam will leak. That being said, the main thing I don’t like about Kerdi line drains is that there’s usually small tapered cuts between the ends of the drain and the walls.

Unlike some other manufacturers, there’s no option to extend the drain grate wall-to-wall if your shower size doesn’t exactly fit one of their predetermined drain lengths.
Unread 07-05-2019, 03:22 PM   #12
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

From what it looks like to me, they use Kerdiband type material on their linear drains, which has less fleece, at least what I remember, which may be why the adhesive they use works there.

Its best use is to seal a gap (like around a stub out) or to seal and waterproof the tiling flange of a tub with Kerdi or, as they show in their install manual and videos, Kerdiband.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase