Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-10-2019, 04:48 AM   #61
thedayrock

I was thinking about using using the kerdi Shower curb for concrete floor. The shower floor will be done with deck mud.

Any opinions on best method for shower curb on concrete floor? I am nervous that a styrofoam curb will not hold up to wear and tear or hold a very large shower door.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:31 AM   #62
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

For over 40 years I've used plain 2x4's without a known problem. I Tapcon the bottom 2x4 to the slab and nail the next two to the bottom one. Sometimes I'll used a treated 2x4 for the bottom piece but never for all 3. Then I mud the curb like is shown in the shower construction thread you'll find in the Liberry.

Some installers like sticking bricks to the slab for the curb. That works too.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:35 AM   #63
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I've personally not used one, Derek, but have read many posts here from those who have. The foam curbs are a non issue; once you cover them with tile or a solid surface those coverings spread the load out over a large area so the whole assembly can easily carry the load of a door.

One thing I wouldn't want to do, however, is install a door with bottom mounted pivot. But that would be true of any curb
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:05 AM   #64
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

I just read all of this thread this morning with my breakfast. Quite a concrete expedition demolition job. I'm glad you went with the linear drain I wished you had posted more pictures of how you fixed the plumbing . mess.
I'm not sure I would build out the wall. A 1.5" sliver tile wouldn't look bad if it's the same size all the way across.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase