Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-07-2019, 06:44 AM   #271
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

I finally read this thread from beginning to end last night and this morning. I have a few questions and a few observations to make.
I now know I do not have a real case of OCD.
I just an engineer that worked on missile parts that tolerances were in the .0005" range. It's always hard to not have higher expectations than are possible with other mediums and machinery and human capability.
You mentioned a isolating membrane mortar under your glass? I'm putting my vertical glass waterfall between two strips of jolly trim do I need to use isolation mortar to build up the height? I was just thinking one or two layers of kerdi will bring my glass tiles up to the top of my 125 mm jolly trim.

Why did you put Kerdi corners on the kerdi niche? I didn't recall pictures of your niche before kerdi but if it was like mine with the flange on it it's already waterproof and all you have to do is install the wall kerdi and then cut out the center.
Is it common to bevel cut the corner tiles like you are doing?

I like bedding in the schluter trim or putting it on as your tile rather than one video I watched a man tile the whole wall and then slid the shluter trim in from the side which seems like a crazy thing to do.

Last edited by Elkski; 06-07-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2019, 07:07 AM   #272
Radas
Tile Newbie

Thanks Dan, fingers crossed that the white will stay white (or slightly off-white) and not yellow over time. How did it fail? I'll tell you, I had 0 scratches or swirling from SL over my glass or polished glazed porcelain.

Teddy,

"I now know I do not have a real case of OCD."

"Why did you put corners on the kerdi niche?"

because overkill - same reason why I ardex'd 3 coats (swimming pool requirement) over the pan and 1ft up the walls and bench. Totally unnecessary and not schluter approved, but makes me feel better.

"Is it common to bevel cut the corner tiles like you are doing?"

I believe so

"I like bedding in the schluter trim or putting it on as your tile rather than one video I watched a man tile the whole wall and then slid the shluter trim in from the side which seems like a crazy thing to do."

I had pretty good luck with a hot glue gun and dabs of kerdifix. Allowed me to level the profile and set it in order to tile around. Not a perfect method, but made life easier for me. Tiling the whole wall then sliding schluter trim is too risky especially with how slow I was working.

..a new excuse to hoard tools
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #273
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Ah, thanks for remembering to report back on any SL scratching issues. Super good to know, and I just order the 3 minis I need to do my shower.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2019, 12:57 PM   #274
Elkski

Can't argue ardex is OCD
But the level and pocket screw holes on the blocking was when I thought to myself " I'm ok".
I put kerdi on the bench top because there are like 19 screws holding the bench on the wall. Yes I caulked the holes after I predrilled them and caulking even squished below the bench on a few but I pictured water running down the crack between bench and wall. Now I only have to worry about steam.
I did the sloped ceiling for CX but I'm regretting this now.
The dilex will be a pain on the lower side. I want to start the tile against the back wall but will it tend slide down hill? I'm also going to wear my hardhat. But I did pull a few tiles so far for coverage checks and a few needed more pooky. They don't move at all except after 3-5 seconds of margin trowel prying. I'm using Kerabond T One tile was 6"x 24" and I thought it might crack prying on it.
Unread 06-07-2019, 05:40 PM   #275
Elkski

What is the thinking on hot glue to hold on the metal trims?
-Can the heat effect the kerdi?
- I guess you lose most (50%) of the bonding of the metal and tile to kerdi for that 1" flange.
- Can't burn in the thinset
Doesn't work on my DILEX on every other wall that needs a profile mix. I'm not sure why but the dilex comes in different size legs. Like mine are 13&12 mm. But I guess I could build up some hot glue 1/16"that is seems I need to hold the DILEX from the wall.

My niche metal was proud a good 3/16" due to a mystery un-flat wall plus Kerdi buildup I guess. It was shimmed flat before drywallers.

I can't use it on my door trim because the Jolly trim is almost not touching the wall.

PS the dig on OCD is joking. It's a benefit if your job benefits from this. Your wife is loving the quality but missing quality time with you. And how are you living with the master shower out of commission so long?
Just don't project your expectations on your loved ones.
And I do have tool envy. That saw tent. I didn't know they existed. Would be great to contain glass shards. I'm cutting tile under my back patio and my couch and daybed are a fool 12 feet away but they're getting covered with shards of glass even to the side of the saw.
That's a dogfish head 90 minute IPA.
Attached Images

Unread 06-07-2019, 05:42 PM   #276
Elkski

What is the thinking on hot glue to hold on the metal trims?
-Can the heat effect the kerdi?
- I guess you lose most (50%) of the bonding of the metal and tile to kerdi for that 1" flange.
- Can't burn in the thinset
Doesn't work on my DILEX on every other wall that needs a profile mix. I'm not sure why but the dilex comes in different size legs. Like mine are 13&12 mm. But I guess I could build up some hot glue 1/16"that is seems I need to hold the DILEX from the wall.

My niche metal was proud a good 3/16" due to a mystery un-flat wall plus Kerdi buildup I guess. It was shimmed flat before drywallers.

I can't use it on my door trim because the Jolly trim is almost not touching the wall.

PS the dig on OCD is joking. It's a benefit if your job benefits from this. Your wife is loving the quality but missing quality time with you. And how are you living with the master shower out of commission so long?
Just don't project your expectations on your loved ones.
And I do have tool envy. That saw tent. I didn't know they existed. Would be great to contain glass shards. I'm cutting tile under my back patio and my couch and daybed are a fool 12 feet away but they're getting covered with shards of glass even to the side of the saw.
That's a dogfish head 90 minute IPA. Cheers to quality craftsmanship!!!
Attached Images

Unread 06-07-2019, 05:48 PM   #277
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I would take a scrap piece of Kerdi and run a bead of hot glue on it. I don't know for sure but I doubt it will hurt it. If it doesn't, place a few dots of hot glue to hold the metal in place, then use thinset elsewhere.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2019, 05:59 PM   #278
makethatkerdistick

I have panorama envy, Teddy.
Wouldn't want to use hot glue on Kerdi, but it's probably fine. For me, thinset was always sufficient to hold the profile in place. I used modified, mixed it thick and let it sit a bit. That had enough grab for profile install, even with the heavier stainless steel ones I used.
Unread 06-07-2019, 07:34 PM   #279
smifwal

Not sure about kerdi but I use hot glue all the time on USG shower membrane. I tested it on a a scrap piece to see if it would melt the part under the fleece. I got a pretty gnarly glue gun and it didn't melt it
Unread 06-07-2019, 09:30 PM   #280
Radas
Tile Newbie

That is one hell of a view!

Kerdi is fine with hot glue from my experience, polyethylene has a melting point of 220-350F and hot glue melts at the 220-240F mark and cools a bit from air exposure. I liked using it because I could reposition the profile last minute if necessary. There were a few pieces I repositioned multiple times.

The hot glue will pull kerdi fabric off so I'm confident in the bond and the modified thinset locked it in place to the point where I couldn't break off a profile after a few days.

For your dilex, try kerdifix on the back to build up the thickness and hot glue to hold while kerdifix dries.

Yeah I joke about it all the time, a gift and a curse lol. Job and projects definitely benefit although end up being overcomplicated for no reason and never satisfied with the results.

It's been real fun sharing our small spare full bath down the hall for the past year, especially with Mrs. Ali's makeup and things taking up valuable counter real estate. A few more weeks and the new bathroom is functional, at this point, a few weeks feels like a few days so we'll be patient.

Saw tent was awesome although a huge pain in the ass to set up and take down. If you ever get one, make sure you line the floor with CBU and not OSB like I did. The osb will get moldy after a while

Dogfish is alright although not a big IPA drinker. My evening celebrations after tile towards the last few weeks involved founders KBS and CBS, usually one and good or two and out of commission.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Radas; 06-07-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Unread 06-08-2019, 12:24 AM   #281
Kman

This corner bead spray adhesive would probably work to hold those profiles in place. It supposed to be for paper or plastic beads, but I bet it would work for the metal profiles since it's just a temporary measure until the mortar dries.

I wouldn't spray it on the wall, though. I've see my sheetrock finisher set the beads on the ground outside and spray them, then quickly attach them to the wall.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2019, 05:48 PM   #282
Radas
Tile Newbie

In 48 hours, a little over a year since closing and 7 months after starting the shower project, the first shower can be taken in the master bath.

The glass company did a great job and I was very happy with their work. As promised, they only drilled through the curb 1/2" while I observed and then checked the depth. The screw holding the door guide assembly was installed using anchors and epoxy. The guide, frame, and anything else making contact with the curb was siliconed.

A huge thanks to those who have helped me along the way, couldn't have done it without the knowledge and helpful members of this forum.

Unread 07-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #283
cx
Da Home Builder

Nice job, Ali. Maybe later you can save up and get you a big ol' shower head, eh?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2019, 06:05 PM   #284
Elkski

So shiny and clean.
Unread 07-08-2019, 06:13 PM   #285
Radas
Tile Newbie

Thanks Kelly, that one on the ceiling is about 14" and was $25 on Amazon. Works a hell of a lot better than the Delta. The other 'shower head' is just a hand shower mounted high in case Mrs. Ali prefers a two-sided shower

Thank you Teddy, going to keep it clean too. First order of business tomorrow is to pickup some rain-x and a squeegee.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase