Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-17-2018, 12:10 PM   #16
Gozo

If you peel it from a corner, it will happily come off the wall (don’t do that).
If it came off clean (as in not bonded), likely means the fibers of the membrane were not “mushed” into the thinset. I used one of those cheap plastic 6” putty knives and made sure the thinset got oozed into the fibers throughly. Used grey thinset so I could see the color through the orange stuff. If it’s stuck to the membrane but not the wall, probably the drywall sucked the moisture out of the thinset. Use a spray bottle or wet sponge to get the wallboard damp before putting the thinset on.
Either way, so long as the fibers are not torn off the membrane, it’s salvagable.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #17
Kman

Did you dampen the wall immediately prior to putting thinset on it? Very important step. If you didn't, by the time you get the membrane up, the backer board has drawn moisture out of the mortar.

Also, the thinset has to be loose enough that it'll flow easy and just barely hold a notch. Otherwise you won't be able to embed the membrane into it properly.

If what you have now comes off easy, remove it, clean if needed, and start over. You can probably even clean the wall free of thinset.

Post a couple of pictures and we can probably spot your problem.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:35 PM   #18
skydivingcat

I think i need to use more water in the thinset. I did dampen the walls prior to installing. Remove the durock and will put new up tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:15 AM   #19
Kman

Durock is especially dry, which makes dampening the wall all the more important. Don't get ahead of yourself by trying to put up sheets larger than what you can handle. I've never timed myself, but I would estimate with a sheet that's 36x72" I can dampen the wall, spread mortar, and have the sheet up in 4-5 minutes. If you're spending much more than that spreading mortar, it may dry too much.

Try going over the wall twice with the sponge, since the initial wipe will dry out fairly quickly, especially if there's dust on the face of it. If you see it start to dry out while you're spreading, stop for a moment and hit it with the sponge again. As long as you don't have water running down the board, it's not too much.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:56 AM   #20
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've even used a pump up water sprayer to go over walls a couple times to get plenty of water in the substrate.

Also, on the first go-around, if you started in the afternoon or evening, the thinset won't be set by morning. Even after 24 hours it may still be moist since it's under a membrane. Like the others said, don't be pulling on it, it'll peel off even after waiting several days.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:26 AM   #21
skydivingcat

Wanted to come back and thank this forum for their help on this project. I am done with the basement and my wife and daughter are happy with it. It is not perfect but i think it looks pretty good and after spending some time in the upstairs bathroom observing a "pro" job it even looks better.

Removed the toilet to paint the walls and discovered that the tile was grouted after the toilet was set. Was not at all surprised to see the flange on the sub-floor instead of the finished floor.
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2018, 08:56 AM   #22
cx
Da Home Builder

While not correct, that's very common, David.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:44 AM   #23
skydivingcat

I would have never expected that. That would be a pain in the butt to grout with the toilet and base boards in the way.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:35 PM   #24
cx
Da Home Builder

I was referring to having the drain flange mounted to the subfloor rather than on top of the finished floor, David.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase