Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-31-2018, 03:30 PM   #61
greenjp

Well today was floor tile setting day. I spent yesterday doing preps and getting most of the perimeter tiles cut. Everything was going along great until I was at the very end (the 5 tiles and threshold at the double door entry to the room) when I ran out of tiles I couldn't believe it. Measured conservatively and rounded up and everything. Had a couple broken in the boxes and had an issue with a couple more; my margin obviously wasn't enough. I am so bummed.

I called the place I got 'em from and I'll be getting another box on Thursday. I expect it'll be a different dye lot, hopefully it's a close match.

FWIW I like those Ridgid leveling doodads quite a bit. Also they make a cool rounded, angled scoop that I used for the first time on this job.

Question - how long should I wait until walking on the tiles? I finished the last of them at about 3 this afternoon. I have some prep with the new vanity to do and was hoping to get that installed tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2018, 03:57 PM   #62
cx
Da Home Builder

Ceramic tile industry says to wait at least 24 hours before walking on those tiles, Jeff. I'd pay special attention to that If I were planning heavy work over the tiles, such as installing a vanity. I'd also wanna grout the installation before doing such work and you certainly want to wait the full 24 hours before doing that.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:12 PM   #63
greenjp

Thanks CX. I'll spend tomorrow morning getting the vanity ready with the holes for plumbing and whatnot. Fortunately it's a 3 piece cabinet style one so the individual parts are easy enough to move around. I'll take your recommendation to grout before installing the vanity. So as long as I wait until tomorrow ~3pm to start I should be OK on that? I'm using Flexcolor CQ so shouldn't have any problem finishing up the grouting once the last few tiles go in.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:54 PM   #64
greenjp

I've got the floor 99% done and the vanity is in. The counter and sinks will get delivered and installed on Monday (the only thing I've paid to have done in this whole adventure). Finally coming together.

Fortunately the new tiles are a very close match to the old ones. There's a subtle difference but I can hardly tell and I sure won't be pointing them out to anyone I made one regretful error while tiling that resulted in one of the tiles in the middle of the floor needing to be trimmed about 1/4" on one side, and a spot along a wall where I had to put in a small piece to avoid having a 3/4" grout line. Lessons! Fortunately the former is hard to spot and the latter is where we usually keep our trash can.

I ended up using a knock off Schluter Reno U profile for the doorway (Custom from HD). It looks good and is just about perfect transitioning up from the carpet.

I am having one little issue with my grouting. In some areas some combination of the fill being a bit shallow and some of the mortar residue on the sides of the tiles is causing these little dark spots (note in a large area of the floor I used Laticrete's thermal additive for the mortar - turned it a very dark grey color). I've been cleaning out the mortar as best I can with a scraper and razor knife, and being very gentle with the pressure when washing. I guess just go back, scrape it away, and take advantage of the ability to "patch" with the Flexcolor CQ until they're gone?

These sideways and upside down pictures are maddening!
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2018, 04:36 PM   #65
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

The thinset peeking out in grout lines is why I almost always use white mortar, FWIW. And that is a nice quality of single component grout is the ability to dig out a goober and just patch it.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:38 PM   #66
greenjp

Any thoughts or recommendations for a sealant to use on the counter? It'll be granite. Never had any so not sure what is appropriate. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:24 PM   #67
rmckee84

The Stonetech line of products would be my reccomendation.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:37 AM   #68
greenjp

Counter went in yesterday and looks very nice. Turns out they put a sealant on it (I believe it was 511 Impregnator) and I was advised not to start using it until today. So I got the drains installed and will be putting on the faucets today.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2018, 08:16 AM   #69
greenjp

Installed the faucets and hung one of the new mirrors. Hadn't thought out the mirror size too well! We're replacing the light fixtures anyway so will just have to pick something that doesn't hang down so much. Might slide that outlet to the left a few inches as well so I can bring the mirror down a bit.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2018, 06:21 AM   #70
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Yup, shorter mirror or move the outlet. Since I do everything the hard way I'd move the outlet.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:52 AM   #71
cx
Da Home Builder

Don't move anything. Call it a design feature and create a story for it.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:20 PM   #72
greenjp

Unfortunately CX I already have a few such design features

I did find a new fixture that'll stay clear of the top of the mirror though. Just need the wife to give it the OK.

Got the floor heat thermostat wired up and the drywall roughed in - it appears to be working!
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2018, 06:15 AM   #73
greenjp

We've finally got proper fall weather now so I set the thermostat's program last night and woke up to a nice toasty floor this morning. This thing is great.

The thermostat has fixed settings for various floor types, as well as an option to customize. In the tile/stone setting the maximum temperature it'll let you set it to is 86. You can raise it higher in the custom settings. It's still warming up but it seems like this ought to be fine. If we decide to crank it, are there are limits or rules of thumb for how high you should go?
Old 10-13-2018, 08:03 PM   #74
greenjp

Answered my own question, at least as pertaining to my bathroom. The system can achieve about 12 degrees above ambient for the floor but no more. The wire is spaced at 3 "circle" intervals in the Strataheat underlayment so I guess that's what you get.

jeff
Old 11-23-2018, 06:32 PM   #75
greenjp

Forgive me CX for I have sinned. For Ss and giggles I got a gallon of Omnigrip to set some of these wall tiles. It did help the pace of work not to have to mix it up, clean buckets, etc, but I can't see using it in anything but small jobs due to the cost. Same price as a 50 lb bag of Ultraflex 2 which obviously will go a lot further.

I did the tile "wainscotting" this week, grouted it this morning, and set the new toilet this afternoon.

Next on the list is to finish this wall tiling and tile the tub surround. That'll be the end of the major work, after that it's just changing out the light fixtures, painting, new curtains, etc.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase