Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Old 05-26-2005, 11:29 PM   #1
Roger3125

Shiny garage floor

Was in a model home and saw the shiniest, cleanest garage floor I've ever seen. Someone there said its easy to put that epoxy "stuff" on.

Anyone know exactly what that stuff is and explain how "easy" it is to do that to my garage floor. Mine is in relatively good shape. a few slight cracks but nothing big.

Thanks all
roger
Attached Images

Roger3125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2005, 01:37 AM   #2
jdm

Roger --

A quick Google search turned up this site: http://www.armorpoxy.com/.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 04:37 PM   #3
Roger3125

Thanks Jeff. I apprecfiate your effort. Now where do I find someone to do my garage....Orange County, California. Anyone out there?
Old 05-29-2005, 09:42 AM   #4
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

Epoxy paints are relatively easy to do yourself. Just need a roller on a broom handle ask your paint store, not a big box paint department.

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 08:47 AM   #5
Roger3125

Am I correct to assume I would...

1] Sweep garage floor thoroughly
2] Shop vacuum garage floor thoroughly
3] Mop floor thoroughly
4] Dry flloor
5] Paint from back to front
6} Open garage window and close garage door and allow to dry?

I wil also assume I would not clean but discard the roller and pan.

Anyone who has done this i will appreciate hearing from you.

Dumb question but to me worthy of asking --> any color you might suggest?
Old 05-30-2005, 08:56 AM   #6
cej22

You would be correct to assume that you should follow the manufacturers directions word for word. Cleaning your garage floor with water simply isn't going to cut it. Chances are you're going to need to do a serious degreasing, followed by an acid etch. Regardless, just make sure you follow the directions for the product you use, and don't skip any supposed optional steps.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:02 AM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've seen this done a few times and they did acid wash the concrete like Cam says. I seen some where small paint chips or flakes were added, maybe 1/16- 1/8 small chips were added to the epoxy or maybe sprinkled on top, I should have watched a little closer. Looked real good when finished.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 09:37 AM   #8
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

Color? Ask your wife, your not going to blame us for that.

Yes, plastic bag the rollers and dispose of them.

Here's a link for prepping the floor http://www.epoxyproducts.com/acid.html Use the Sulfamic acid.

You will also want to fill those cracks but be aware they will show through the paint.

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:56 AM   #9
OXIC

I apologize for bump the old topic, but I have some interesting observations that I would like to share, maybe this will help someone in the future because once I was on the lookout for useful advice.
I have a 3-car garage, and at first tried the water based product sold at HD on part of the floor. It flaked off badly but I think most of that was due to poor surface preparation. The second time, 8 years later, I decided to tackle it again. This time it turned out great, well worth the $ and hours involved for DIY. To do it right (DIY) I recommend:1. Do the whole floor. If that means renting a POD and putting all the garage stuff in the driveway for a month, it's worth it.2. Degrease/scrub, rinse, acid etch/scrub, rinse very thoroughly, let dry for 2 days.3. Use solvent based epoxy for best results, not available at HD/Lowes as far as I know, but available at Grainger and elsewhere like these Use a respirator and/or have really good ventilation.4. Put down 2 base coats, and one clear coat. The clear coat you can buy at HD. As you put down 2nd base coat, sprinkle with flakes then seal with clear coat the next day. Add sand (included) to clear coat before rolling it. It provides really good traction when wet. Use really good lighting with the clear coat because it's easy to miss spots.Cleaning, etching, drying, and painting 3 coats will the life out of you and take 5 consecutive days, (not including moving all the in and out) but it's worth it. After 3 years the floor cleans easily and looks amazing.Enjoy your new floorOn YouTube there are a lot of interesting videos on this topic, I will share with you, one of them, hope this will help сомеоне.Good luck
https://mechanicguides.com/best-garage-floor-cleaner/

Last edited by OXIC; 11-20-2018 at 07:14 AM.
OXIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:04 PM   #10
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome, Sam! Something about the name Santa Clara that sounds delightful. Hopefully, it is.

And thanks for adding to this thread!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:15 PM   #11
TDJ2591

I put down the Rustolem Epoxy garage floor finish from the kit sold by the big box stores. It was an easy project as it was a brand new house and garage with no grease stains or ground-in grit. The kit included the 2-part Epoxy, color chips and acid to etch the concrete. It looked great but was prone to lifting off from hot tires. Granted, this was 15 years ago. I'm sure the product has to have improved since then but I believe I would look instead at one of the commercial type epoxy products linked above if I were to do it again.

I learned that you have to follow the mixing directions exactly and pay close attention to working times. Once the epoxy starts to harden you will have to toss it out. All it took to apply it was an inexpensive rubber floor squeegee

Last edited by TDJ2591; 11-19-2018 at 08:22 PM.
TDJ2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #12
speed51133

You really need to use a diamond floor grinder and take a skim cut off the concrete. Yes, even brand new concrete. You need to open the pores. Acid etching is not enough. It is the spot bonding of tile equivalent.

Then you need to use a 100% solids epoxy or poly aspartic coating. Basically no fillers Lile water or solvents that evaporate. Anything at home Depot or the like will not suffice.

Good luck.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:43 PM   #13
workhurts

Acid etching works on relatively clean floors. As long as it froths up nice and you neutralize afterwards then you're probably ok. Grinding will definitely give you consistency.

Low solids primer, high solids solvent base and clear. Flake or not ... your choice but definitely add some anti slip as wet smooth epoxy is pretty slippery.

Here's my current floor:
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2018, 09:08 PM   #14
Gozo

I’m in the same camp as Mike on this one. Did my garage floor the “easy way” and had to redo it the “right way” about 2 years later. There’s tons of useful threads on the floor section of garagejournal.com forums (one of them’s mine). It’s a group much like here, but garage related vs. tile.
(Wouldn’t this be more of a mud box thread, unless of course we’re going to tile the garage floor.)
Old 11-19-2018, 09:11 PM   #15
smifwal

ALI that looks awesome

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase