Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-19-2018, 06:26 PM   #31
Brady Wimer

Aesthetically, I have seen a lot worse. However, if there's no waterproofing behind it, it makes no difference as it will eventually fail. There are people on here who have been setting tile a LOT longer than I ever did that are exactly right, and I would advise listening to them. Just my two cents.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #32
Dave Gobis
da Man!

There is no way to evaluate a shower without removing part of it.

Spot bonding tile is never OK, especially in a wet area.
Dave Gobis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #33
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

What many folks aren’t aware of is that city code inspectors aren’t there to catch every violation. They don’t usually sift through a job with a fine-toothed comb. Unfortunately, they are tasked with inspecting jobsites at a rather high rate of speed. If a bathtub being inspected has running water, without obvious leaks or some other glaring mistake, it’s probably going to “pass inspection”.

And if an inspector misses a code violation or doesn’t understand a manufacturer’s instruction wasn’t followed, that code official doesn’t hold the bag. In reality, it’s the homeowner who is ultimately responsible for building to code/industry standards. Sure, they hire pros who are supposed to do their clients right. But the homeowner is the person saddled with having a code-compliant building/project/whatever. If you read the fine print with permits, you’ll see what I’m talking about. So, put the proper amount of credibility behind this as you decide who to call for “ammunition”.

Printed codes and printed industry standards are powerful. If you want to hit the “easy button”, you can hire a competent tile industry expert to document facts. Between their reports and industry credibility, they hold a tremendous amount of weight in a court of law. But it’s messy...and unpleasant...and expensive. Personally, I’d use the collective wisdom of the experts weighing in on your situation (including one of the finest industry experts who posted above me) to progressively document each problem. State the industry standards or codes...and compare them to unbiased descriptions of the facts in question. You can build yourself a strong case to convince the average well-intentioned installer that there’s a problem that the industry recognizes that they don’t. It’s not always a pleasant process, but it doesn’t need to be mean or nasty.

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #34
makethatkerdistick

Reminds me of the inspection of my grid-tied solar array I had installed years ago (and which has worked beautifully since, actually).
The inspector had never inspected one and kept looking for the "battery." He could only think of this array as somewhere having a gigantic battery. Finally, the compliance statement from the inverter maker must have satisfied him. In my municipality there are no local code regulations as to how a solar array has to be installed on a roof. However, I got this "helpful" tip on the phone when calling the city: "Just make sure that they're installed so that they can't be seen from the street."
Old 11-20-2018, 10:53 PM   #35
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Well Stephen, what happened today.

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:27 PM   #36
Crimsonsky

Not a lot really. The shower is basically on hold as some needed tile is on back order. I'm going to use the pause to get it independently inspected hopefully.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:56 AM   #37
hfxjohn

Have you tried having it 'inspected' by another tile installer? One who follows manufacturers instructions.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:52 PM   #38
Crimsonsky

Thats the plan in theory.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:13 AM   #39
Anamri

Update?

Any update on your inspection, etc.? I'm afraid I've hired the same contractor. Ugh.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase