Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-15-2018, 06:06 PM   #61
1hawaii50

Laticrete says 2 yrs...I plan on using them within the next week...if I should take them back, I will, then I'm stuck using versabond as it's the only other thing I can get.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:27 PM   #62
Raymond S
Carpenter - Tile Setter

I would go with the versabond. Agree with Wolfgang.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:05 PM   #63
rmckee84

I'm on the other side of the fence it seems. Because of how laticrete packages their goods I wouldnt have a problem using what you have, provided there isnt a big rip somewhere in the bag.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:59 AM   #64
1hawaii50

OK, I went with the majority...I returned the Laticrete...they don't have anything fresher on hand. I found another wholesaler willing to sell to me and he guaranteed their stock was fresh. I drove over to them and theirs was date stamped 3-17...needless to say I passed on that also.

I can get Versabond from HD right now. I can get TEC Full Set Plus from another semi-local big box (2hr round trip, and I can't check the date code until I go to the store). I found a PDF from Schluter where they say that Mapei Uncoupling Membrane #576086 is the best they recommend...I can get the Mapei locally. The PDF says to use the uncoupling membrane mortar to set the Kerdi, and to set the tile...

What's my best bet?
Old 11-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #65
t2jeff

As mentioned above, use Versabond for everything. Used it on both my kerdi projects with zero issues.
As CX said, the only thing Versabond won't get you is the warranty which you won't get anyway.....
Old 11-17-2018, 05:47 PM   #66
1hawaii50

Ok, drywall is all up, kerdi niches are both installed. Heading to HD tomorrow to grab some versabond. For the kerdi membrane, mix the versabond wet, wipe the walls with a damp sponge (drywall), and start hanging? Do I press the membrane as flat as I can, pushing out as much thinset as possible? Watching the schluter videos, it looks like they are pressing the membrane pretty tightly to the drywall....
Old 11-17-2018, 05:52 PM   #67
makethatkerdistick

Are you using the Kerdi trowel? Or something close to it?
If you apply the proper amount of thinset, you don't want to squeeze out too much thinset. Rather, rub the membrane in, so the ridges collapse and full contact between Kerdi and substrate is established. Peel back to check for coverage and re-embed. Some squeeze-out will happen but you don't want to force it.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:59 PM   #68
1hawaii50

I bought a 1/4 x 3/16 v-notched trowel.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:55 PM   #69
cx
Da Home Builder

Joe, I've used a number of different trowels for installing those sheet-type membranes and I found that the 1/8x1/8x1/8 inch Schluter trowel definitely made a difference in how well the installation went.

I install those membranes using drywall knives and I do apply a moderately heavy pressure when doing so. I always have a bit of squeeze-out at the edge of the sheets.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:49 AM   #70
1hawaii50

Schluters trowel is 1/8 x 1/8, yet they recommend a 1/4 x 3/16...weird. I don't have the schluter trowel, but I can get a Rubi 1/8 x 1/8 square notch.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #71
makethatkerdistick

If you follow their recommendation for an alternate trowel size, you should be fine, too. You just don't want a trowel that dispenses too much thinset, making your Kerdi installation bumpy from too much thinset. The Kerdi trowel is extremely fine-toothed and, from what I know, cannot really be used for anything but installing Kerdi. At least, I found no other useful purpose for it. Now, the Ditra trowel can also be useful for setting small tile such as mosaic.
If you plan on having another Kerdi or Ditra project in your future, it might be worth investing in one or both. They're good quality tools made by Rubi.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:51 AM   #72
1hawaii50

I can get a cheap 1/8 x 1/8 now at HD...they will have to order the Rubi...story of my life...
Old 11-19-2018, 09:53 PM   #73
1hawaii50

OK, so I found some Laticrete 271 dated 7-18, so I bought a couple bags. I also scored a Kerdi Trowel for $20, and a nice grout float. I got home from work and hung the Kerdi....this is where I'm at...

I overlapped seams by 3" or so. I also burned a whole bag of 271...could have easily gotten by with 1/2 bag to hang the Kerdi.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2018, 09:33 AM   #74
makethatkerdistick

From the dark colored membrane it seems like you made good contact between wall and Kerdi. I always tend to overlap a hair more than the 2 inches. Just because I can. You'll be good with 3 inches for sure.

Depending on the grout you are using, your grout float might be right or wrong. If it's the soft rubber kind, this will be good for cement grouts. If you're thinking about using epoxy grout, then you need an epoxy float (which is much harder).
Old 11-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #75
1hawaii50

It's a harder grout float, more like a green urethane than a rubber or plastic. It has some flex, but not as much as a gum float.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase