Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #1
nmchugh6

6x6 Travertine Install

I'm thinking of purchasing these tiles (pics 3 and 4) to use as a backsplash to cover a 32 sq ft area (36 sq ft if I decide to tile behind the microwave). Can anyone tell me what kind of travertine they are (honed, tumble, etc). The back of one has velcro on it in case you are wondering. I also have some additional questions below:
1. Should I start at either end of the sink wall or at the mid point of the wall?
2. What size grout line for 6x6 and for 3x6 if I decide to cut the tiles and should the grout be sanded or unsanded? What is a good brand? Is there a particular float size you would recommend?
3. Am I correct that I should caulk where the first row meets the counter top and where the wall corners meet? What type and brand?
4. Should I be concerned about stains (spaghetti sauce, etc) if allowed to sit for a little while up to a couple of hours or will a sealer mitigate a lot of my concern? What type and brand of sealer would you recommend?
5. How should I apply the sealer? Should I do it before or after grouting? And do you have any recommended techniques?
6.. What adhesive (type and brand) would you recommend and what size trowel?

If there are step by step install instructions anywhere on the site, can someone be so kind to provide a link? Can anyone provide a link to any post that describes how to "fold" the corners in case i decide to cut these to 3x6. From several years ago I think I recall someone posted how to do it and I think they talked about one row being 1/4 tile on one wall/3/4 tile on the adjacent wall the other row being 1/2 tile on each wall but I'm not sure.

I'm thinking of doing a focal point above the sink and stove but need to design the stove area in such a way that it looks fine with the existing stove that has a control panel that rises 10.5" above the stove but will also work with a new stove that only rises 3inches above the stove. If anyone has any ideas on what I can do now that will need minimal re-work to make it look good with the new stove I'd appreciate it. By the way, it is 17.5 inches from the bottom of the upper cabinets to the top of the countertop.

Last question, is there anything available online where I can design my layout that you can refer me to?
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
EppNation

The back of tile looks like a tumbled edge, but the front (filled) side looks like a straight cut. Hard to tell cause pic is a bit blurry, at least it is on my mobile.

I can't advise on the rest of your questions/concerns, I'm very new to the tile trade, but I know a tumbled travertine when I see one!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2018, 07:52 PM   #3
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Looks liker a combination of a tumbled travertine and a filled travertime. I normally see the tumbled as a 4x4 and the filled as a large foremat tile.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:37 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

1. I would start full tiles at the bottom and center up width ways over the sink. Draw a vertical center line behind the sink and either put a grout joint one the center line or center up a tile over the center line, whichever makes for the biggest cuts against the cabinets.
2. I'd use 1/8 spacers on both type tiles.
3. Yes, caulk or silicone. Use the same brand as the grout you use so it will match.
4. I would use Miracle brand sealer. If you like the stone natural, use the natural sealer. If you like the color enhanced then use the enhancer sealer. Any spills or splashes should be cleaned up immediately. Depending on what you splashed, it may or may not stain.
5. I would seal the stone before grouting. Depending on which type grout you use, it may need to be sealed after the grout sets.
6. I would use a non-sag white thinset to bond the tiles. Custom white Pro-lite from Home Depot works well.

To fold the tiles thru the corner you use the cut off tile on the next wall.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:32 AM   #5
nmchugh6

Thankyou gentlemen. Davey, would you recommend that I stack the tiles evenly over each other or do you think staggered like subway tiles would look better?
Old 11-20-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
nmchugh6

Material and Instructions to make my own mosaic

Can anyone tell me what product I can purchase to design my own mosaic? If you know where I can find instructions on this website for how to complete the design, please provide a link.
I assume i need to sketch out the design then lay an adhesive material sticky side up over it and then lay the tiles on the material.
Thankyou for any help you can give.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:15 PM   #7
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

Can you show your design? And where you plan to put your mosaic? Most art mosaic is done over a square mesh fabric sold for that purpose. You cut the tile to shape and attach to the mesh with Weldbond glue. You can then move the mesh to a surface, attach it, and grout. If you're working in a wet area, you have to be more careful. Weldbond, for instance, will resoften in water. I had to add a few steps to put my mosaic in my shower.

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:04 PM   #8
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You can also lay the tile out on a flat, dry surface, then cover it with sticky paper.

ANother way would be to thinset the tile to say KerdiBoard, or even a sheet of Kerdi, but you'd need everything ready to install since the thinset won't allow working forever as it starts to set up. Once that sets up, you'd stick the whole thing up like a huge tile. Depending on the size, you may need to cut things and do it in sections. That might be an issue if you needed the waterproofing capabilities, but there are ways around that by putting Kerdiband on the joints.

But, if you're asking how do you design it in the first place...that's a bit tougher.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:52 PM   #9
nmchugh6

Thankyou everyone. Here is a picture of the layout I would like to create. Where can I purchase the mesh and weldbond glue or is there a mesh product that is already glued? The area I want to install the tile in is behind my kitchen sink and the area is 30x35. I'm hoping I can get the tiles on the mesh and then mount them in the adhesive on the wall behind the sink.
Name:  backsplash diamond pattern focal point 4  sink.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  19.2 KB

Name:  pic6 also level resized.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  32.2 KB
Old 11-20-2018, 09:46 PM   #10
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

That isn't what I would call a mosaic. You could set those tiles one by one on the wall. Or, if you wanted to, you could do it on say Kerdi or Kerdiboard by applying thinset to the back of the tile verses the surface. Then, embed the whole thing on the wall. Kerdiboard would add more depth than Kerdi fabric.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #11
nmchugh6

Can anyone suggest how I could create a backsplash with these designs?

I'll be doing 3x6 honed and filled travertine as field tiles and want to do something more interesting behind the sink. The area behind the sink is 30 1/8" between the cabinets and 35 1/2" from the bottom of the upper cabinet to the granite. I'm wondering if anyone can offer how I can layout either of the two designs below. I'll have to cut the extra 3x6 in half to get the 3" square for either pattern. I have a wet saw and plenty of time so I don't mind the cutting. I'm hoping someone can guide me on how to lay either of these designs out and on what size tile I should use for the smaller tiles. For the second design it looks like I should use 1" for the smaller tiles but considering the grout, it looks like the end tiles wouldn't align with the bottom and top of the 3x3. How could I address that? Even a 1/16 instead of 1/8 grout lines would result in the tiles not being aligned. Am I over thinking this? Is there an easy way to make it work? Is there an easier design for the area that you would recommend?
Name:  pic5most level.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  29.6 KB

Name:  pinwheel pattern.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  14.9 KB

Name:  diamond pattern.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  25.4 KB
Old 11-23-2018, 03:32 PM   #12
cx
Da Home Builder

Nancy, it'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #13
nmchugh6

Can anyone help with questions about travertine install along with how to repair a da

While measuring the wall I noticed this gap between the wall and granite. The drywall looks like it curled and the gap appears to be about 1/8 wide. Can anyone tell me how to go about repairing this before doing the backsplash?
I read that a 100% silicone is best for the area between the tile and granite. Is that what you would recommend and can you tell me please how thick it should be?
Name:  pic 1 gap 1128.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  pic2 gap1128.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  60.2 KB

Davey recommended that I use a Custom white Pro-lite non-sag thin set. Can you tell me which of these you are referring to or if anyone else has a recommendation, Id appreciate it if you would tell me what it is.
Name:  custom thinset.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  9.1 KB

Should I use sanded or unsanded grout?
I know I need to use a sealer. Should I seal the tiles after install and before grouting? Should I seal again after grouting and how long should I wait for the grout to dry? Is it ok to seal over the grout or should I try to avoid that?

Id like to do a diamond backsplash around the sink area. Ill draw a line from point to point on the tile and align them with the vertical and horizontal center point of the wall area. Can anyone please tell me how I should proceed? Should I work from center out on each side and then up and down the center and then do quadrants? If there is a particular order that works best, please tell me.

Should I start the 3x6 in the center of the sink area (30.5) or should I start at the center of the sink wall that is 124 wide?
Name:  pic2.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  28.0 KB
Old 11-28-2018, 09:47 PM   #14
rmckee84

1. No need
2. Approximately 1/8" gap between counter top and first course of tile
3. The bag that says pro lite. Any white non sag will work. Prolite is a decent product.
4. I would use sanded
5. Yes seal before grouting.
6. Wouldnt hurt
7. Follow the directions for the products you use
8. Shouldnt affect the grout, follow product directions
9. Draw it out measure and make a template. Lay the tile out on the template and cut them to fit. Not exactly sure what guidance youre looking for. Pick a starting point and go.
10. Play with layout, you dont want to end up with slivers anywhere if avoiding it is possible.
rmckee84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:26 PM   #15
nmchugh6

Tiles Arrived Wet

I ordered Classic Travertine and picked up 4 boxes on Friday. I opened each when I got home to find them wet. Odd things is that the outside of the boxes were dry. I can only guess that these got wet before being packed.Maybe during the cutting process they weren't dried properly? Should I be concerned? I think it is likely water. There is no smell that I could tell. Is is common for the tiles to be wet or should I be concerned?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase