Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-19-2018, 01:09 PM   #61
houndzilla

Main floor is done! I've tiled up to my soft joint. I'm going to grout this area so that I can start moving some stuff around as I'm running out of space.

I've washed all my tiles of thinset, they are kinda hazy since all I did was move it around and wash it all up.

My questions are:

1) do I need to get them 100% clean before grouting.

2) is using grout release a worthwhile effort vs some extra cleaning. I'm concerned about release getting into the joints.

3) I have about an 1/8" gap between my free corner tile and the steel post. It's free and clear of debris, but I'm wondering if I should have opened up that gap a little. I have 1/4" on the other side.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2018, 12:49 PM   #62
houndzilla

So I wrapped up grouting yesterday. Flexcolor CQ is a nice product.

I ended up using grout release after the first few cycles, it made washing go much much faster especially with all the texture my tile has.

The floor is "clean" as in there are no appreciable accumulated amounts of material anywhere on the floor. But in washing (water only) it I'm getting some suds (probably a combo of grout release and some flex color residue), and have I have some hazy spots from thinset during setting.

I did a final scrub with a black pad, and now I'm going through with a mop and two bucket method to lift as much residue as possible. I expect to see a few hazy spots when everything dries. I've been hitting whatever spots I see with my triangle grout joint scraper which is doing a good job and getting most off. I just need to get that last little bit of haze. It's distributed enough that I'd like to hit the whole floor.

I have epoxy haze cleaner and some cement haze cleaner. My Dal Tile counter person told me that they recommend the epoxy haze cleaner even on cement products.

Any suggestions on the process I should use?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase