Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 12-03-2018, 06:38 AM   #1
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Forcing warped planks flat

Okay, so we all have dealt with warped tiles and now we see more and more leveling systems coming along. Here is one I was watching this morning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3Q015R7LxA

The question I have, does it hurt anything to force the tiles to lay flat? Looks like they would stay under stress (like a leaf spring). Is this bad, or no big deal? What's your opinion?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I think we've had a thread on this previously, but there's no telling where it is.

I'm in the school that thinks the constant tension between tile and substrate might be a problem. I don't know why or how. I just think it.

Last edited by John Bridge; 12-04-2018 at 08:24 AM.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:41 AM   #3
Just In Tile LLC

It probably does keep some tension to it, I've used clips for 3' or longer planks because it does bring them into a plane flatter then they were made. Anything under they don't do anything for me good prep wouldn't do.

I've gotten some amazing results with them, but admittingly don't know the long term effects of tile under tension.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:52 PM   #4
Karls tile Inc
Tile and stone contractor Tile setter

We use them on all of our jobs. As long as the tile is properly installed I don't think the tension will be a issue.

Karlstile.com
Karls tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:05 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Bond strength of a cured good modified thinset is in the order of 3-400psi. If the bond is able to cure sufficiently prior to release of the leveling clamps, it should be okay. If they were warped a lot, I might want to leave things in place a bit longer than overnight before removing the levelers just to be sure, but I have no data on that.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:59 AM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'm on the fence, I feel like it's not a good thing but I think a good thinset and prep work should hold the tiles down just fine.

Of course the clips are pulling up on one tile as it pushes down on it's neighbor. Another concern I have is a corner lifting up out of the thinset after the thinset notches have been flattened out. I doubt this is a major problem but could see it happening.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 12-04-2018, 08:28 AM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

This is probably one of the questions we can't answer in the short run. The test of time will tell.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:07 PM   #8
Just In Tile LLC

That's true John, now Davy from one stubborn guy to another... get yourself some no lip clips and try it on some long planks. Keep mudding but live a little
Old 12-04-2018, 06:51 PM   #9
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Need to bear in mind that the longer tiles need to be forced down to flat before tightening the leveling clips. Use your knee or your ex wife to do this.....After they are kinda flat, THEN tighten up the clips. You don't use them to pull the tiles "into plane"......You use them to hold them properly after the tiles are right.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #10
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'm trying.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 12-05-2018, 09:08 AM   #11
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Davy,

If Gobis was still running the tile school I'd send you on an expense paid trip to South Carolina to get you up to date on modern tile installation. That's what he did to me years ago, and I've been doing membrane showers ever since (as you know). Dave will tell you I was every bit as hard headed as you are.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:45 AM   #12
Dave Gobis
da Man!

I think probably more.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:38 PM   #13
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

With all due respect, You're still hard headed, John. You won't give up.

As for floors, I think I mentioned, I'd rather spend extra time getting the floor as flat as I can instead of spending time with clips. But, I understand if someone wants to use them. I'm cool with that.

For showers (here we go again ), I want my walls flat, plumb and square with each other. To me that's important with the crooked walls we are seeing and the large format tiles folks want. For me, mudding them is the fastest and easiest way to accomplish that. I understand it's not for everyone. Besides, why change methods, then I'd have to lower my prices.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 12-06-2018, 08:46 AM   #14
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Well, I've got to tell you I agree that mud is the best way to go for walls that are way out of whack. All of the membrane showers I've done have been taken right down to the studs, so getting them in shape was never much of a problem.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase