Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 01-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #1591
rmckee84

Last I heard Mick said they are getting close on the rewards program. He said keep saving them or recycle them.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:50 PM   #1592
Branespikin

Work on 3/4" Slab

HI All,
Was wondering if this will work with 3/4" slabs on floors. I have a huge project with Dolomiti slabs and would like to try this out just to make sure there is absolutely no lippage. Thing is client wants 1/32nd spacer so was wondering if this system is right for me before I pull trigger and buy it.
Thx
Brani
Old 06-21-2017, 06:43 AM   #1593
rmckee84

I can't say I've measure the thickness of the 1 piece straps, but they are very close to 1/32". The problem with using the strap as a spacer is it can make removal difficult at times. This is the same with all lippage tuning systems. MLT is an awesome system and would definitely work for your material, but 1/32" joint may be a little tight. It would be worth checking with customer service.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #1594
Branespikin

Thanks for the reply. Is there a representative here on this forum i can reach out too for details? Im new to this forum as you as you can see so dont know anyone yet. Really need to pull the trigger on this ASAP as job will be starting soon.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:27 PM   #1595
South land Tile

1/16" will be as tight as you can go with the one piece strap. On the two piece strap the metal part is 1/64" but I'm not sure if there's enough depth on the metal part for 3/4" material.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:18 AM   #1596
Branespikin

Yeah i read the one piece are 1/16. I was planning in the metal ones. Hopefully someone can chime in on here that has used this on 3/4" slab. Or can atleast measure the metal strap
Old 08-05-2017, 12:11 PM   #1597
wayiwalk

Has anyone ever had the "trigger" on the MLT tool break? I'm a non-pro user, and purchased the system about 2 weeks ago to assist with installation of some 6x36 rectified wood look tile.

I was removing caps/straps this morning, getting ready for a large effort today and tomorrow to finish a room, and was working on getting a few tougher caps that were stuck from the previous days work. Note, while I'm not a 98 pound weakling, I'm not Charles Atlas, either. The thing simply gave way, and now is useless to install/remove straps.

I've only used the tool for about 700 straps so far, so this should be early goings in its life. I'm really surprised.

Since it is a Saturday, I'm kind of stuck until I can have delivered a replacement tool, but if anyone has experienced this and knows of a fix, please let me know. I haven't removed the rubber trigger cover to see exactly what the breaks and whether there is a way to contrive a temporary fix, but would try anything as my assistant (my wife) is headed away Monday to visit family, and I'd lose another week on the kitchen project. In other words, HELP!

Thanks,

Paul
Old 08-05-2017, 12:21 PM   #1598
wayiwalk

I pulled off the trigger cover to see what the failure was - it is made of cast metal, which I guess limits its strength.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2017, 12:40 PM   #1599
cx
Da Home Builder

From whom did you purchase the tool, Paul?

Only quick and possibly useful short-term fix I'd likely try is the quick acting JB weld.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:00 PM   #1600
wayiwalk

Flooring Supply Shop on the west coast.

JB weld....sure, that is worth a try.

If that fails, then I'm thinking of seeing if I can tap a screw in there, to both sides of the break, unfortunately, there's only about 1/4" to slightly more before the handle part of the trigger transitions into a function where it links to a part that does the pulling on the grabbing/squeezing of the strap part of the device. Yes, that was a mouthful, but without names of parts, it is the best I could do.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #1601
cx
Da Home Builder

Think I'd first be contacting that Flooring Supply Shop to see won't they warranty that tool and send you a replacement right quick. Or are you close to that shop? Adding a geographic location to your User Profile helps a lot in responding to some types of questions.

The inventor of that lippage control system no longer hangs around here and I see that he doesn't advertise here, either. Still, I'd try sending him a PM inviting him to view this thread and your posts. I'm thinking he'll wanna make it right by you. MICK1 is his screen name here.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #1602
wayiwalk

Thanks for the suggestions and help. I'm in New Jersey, Somerset County. There weren't any nearby retailers/online, at least that I could find, and I'm not a fan of Bezos/Amazon so I do all I can to not use them.

I chose West Coast because at the time they were the only ones that had all of the items in stock that I was looking for.

Thanks again!
Old 08-05-2017, 02:02 PM   #1603
cx
Da Home Builder

Paul, if you don't put that geographic information in your User Profile it'll be lost before we leave this page.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #1604
JTile
Southern Delaware Tile Contractor

Things break. It happens. How long have you had the gun?

Mick is around. I just got off the phone with him a little while ago.

Kyle's Tile LLC
Ocean View, Delaware
www.KylesTile.com

JTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:00 PM   #1605
wayiwalk

Basically brand new, it was during the first few days of my first use.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase