Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-11-2004, 02:22 PM   #1
ShivaDiva

Question small area of exposed particle board

I recently had a garden window leak over the tiled kitchen countertop. The tiles were tiled right over the old formica, which has been no problem for 15 years until now. The water seeped in by the wall and popped some tiles after the board under the formica swelled. I removed the tiles..only about 6 were in need of replacement. I chipped out the swolen stuff and cut away the formica. Unfortunately due to the placement of the sink and dishwasher I can't remove the whole chunk underneath (it was murder getting as much out as I did!) ...I have to build up on top of the (junk) to the proper level to replace the tiles....from about 1/16 to about 1/4 inch at the most.
What should I use...bondo? a spackle of sorts? I don't want this crap to swell up again...at least not from the Thinset. (no guarantee that in 15 years the new window won't leak!)

Thanks in advance,
Monica
ShivaDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-11-2004, 03:48 PM   #2
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

Hi Monica,

I hate to say it but tiling over particle board is a cardinal sin as far as tile goes.

Your problem now is that you cannot use anything that has water in it to fill in the particle baord. This will cause the more swelling and likely add'l tile failure. I really don't know what to recommend here.

My only thought would be the use of a waterproofer over the exposed area and then fill the cavity with thinset. This will prevent the particle board from swelling

This may be a good time to consider a replacement if the tile job isn't too recent.

Maybe the others can think of a better option

Jason
Unread 01-11-2004, 03:56 PM   #3
Sonnie Layne
Da Poet

Monica, as much as I'd like to sometimes, I just can't condone installing tile anywhere near particle board. It's been my experience that the particle board will continue to swell.

Having said that, if I were of the mind to do the repair and for whatever reason could not remove everything..... I'd probably explore the use of a latex type floor leveler. It's hard for me to even think of it and I'll now crawl off into the corner and await my punishment from the others
Unread 01-11-2004, 04:49 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Monica,

I think spackle or something on that order would do the job. The little bit of water in the patching material won't raise the particle board much. Let it dry thoroughly, sand it off and stick your tiles to it with Liquid nails.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2004, 05:06 PM   #5
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

I can hear the sirens now.....

Jason
Unread 01-11-2004, 05:45 PM   #6
Sonnie Layne
Da Poet

Monica...... note the smiley at the end of those posts. I don't think you're gonna get off easily here.

We're not mean. Realistic. And for the most part, we can't be bought.
Unread 01-11-2004, 06:24 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

What Jason said.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2004, 07:17 PM   #8
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Well, I want to qualify this by saying she's asking for a quick repair. She's already told us the particle board isn't going to be removed. Doesn't leave much.

Oh no, I think I can see red lights in the distance.
Unread 01-11-2004, 09:43 PM   #9
Mike2

Monica:

If you do decide to act in definace of Tiling 101, and the Law & Order imposed upon these parts by the seldom seen Tile Ranger, do not use Bondo. It won't stick to anything wet, moist, damp, or anything that has been wet, moist, or damp in recent history. Use a water based substance like what John said.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2004, 09:59 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

I think the Tile Ranger musta died. Ol' JB's been gettin' a free ride here lately.

Actually, the Ranger's prolly jist rollin' his eyes and lookin' the other way. After all, this isn't really a tile question so much as a countertop repair question. More serious question should be how to keep the damn window from leaking, eh?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2004, 10:11 PM   #11
Mike2

Maybe he have Mad Cow disease too.
Unread 01-12-2004, 08:54 AM   #12
ShivaDiva

well, I put on my suit of armor before checking replies this morning. I know enough about tiling to expect what I got. But as John said, it's a repair issue, it's just not an option now to rip up the entire countertop and start over...the walls and backsplashes are tiled in the same tile, and all of it except for these few tiles is in excellent, like-new condition. (a neutral "non-dated" style too).

Now that I've taken my punishment for making such an ghastly request I think I might try to find some exterior spackle type stuff and do the Liquid Nails attachment.

Good news cx is I am confident that the new Anderson won't be leaking any time soon...well, err...unless I leave it open in the rain...

Thanks everyone! (can I take off that suit of armor yet?)
monica
PS: I'd love to post a pic of a small travertine foyer I did...can't quite figure out how though. And yes, it is over Ditra...now if only my countertop was!
ShivaDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2004, 09:29 AM   #13
Sonnie Layne
Da Poet

I'd coat it with varnish, then I'd prob'ly use whiting, mixed with a dollop of portland and just enough droplets of water to make it kinda hold together. Flat trowel it in. This is too large an area for exterior spackle. Everybody's gonna look at me cross-eyed, I know fer shure.
Unread 01-12-2004, 09:55 AM   #14
Mike2

Sure Monica, I think it safe now to take off de armor, long as your decent underneath.

Understand I hope you do, everything said was also sent with love.
Unread 01-12-2004, 06:33 PM   #15
John Bridge
Mudmeister

I'd like to see the entryway. If you can get the picture to under 50 KB you can just click on the browse button below and find the pic on your hard drive. Double click the picture and then post the reply. Don't try to review. For some reason that will wipe the picture away.

If that fails, send me the pic and I'll post it. Make sure you reference this thread though, so I don't get lost in here.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase