Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-31-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
Mark in Breck

Kitchen Counter - Edging & Underlayment Questions

I am about 90% done the shower wall and it looks great - so thanks to everyone for their help so far.

My mind is moving on to the kitchen counters.

Going to do 12x12 granite tiles (Uba Tuba). I found some edging in the granite that leaves a prefinished edging instead of the bull nosing.

My question is this finished edging I found only has a 3/4" edge that is covering the underlayment. Is 3/4" undelayment enough for a countertop? If so, I was thinking 1/2" plywood and 1/4" hardi backer, does that sound right? There is a higher bar surface that does have about a (15" total with 6" overhang) but it is at bar height not counter height so not condusive to someone trying to sit on.

Any experience (pros or cons) with this edging? I am on the fence whether or not I love it over the bullnosing.

Thanks...Mark

Last edited by Mark in Breck; 05-31-2007 at 12:29 PM.
Mark in Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-31-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
LGB
Tile Contractor -- Pennsylvania

The minimum thickness of the plywood should be 3/4" for a backerboard installation. Who is the manufacturer of the stone product you are considering ?
Unread 05-31-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
BedrockCreations

Smile Granite Tile Edges

Hi Mark,

It's a good idea to have at least a 3/4" sub base of plywood. If you put any type of hardibacker or redguard plus thinset over the plywood base, a 3/4" bullnose edge won't cover the substrate.
BedrockCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
nottilewizard

I ran into the same problem, but really wanted to use the edging that matched the granite. What I did was put down a 1/2" plywood base, then Gorilla-glued 3/4" plywood to the top of that (double-secured with screws). I then applied the hardibacker with thinset, giving me a 1 1/4" plywood base (with the Gorilla glue it isn't going ANYWHERE). I placed the field tiles first, then after those were dry applied the edging. To cover the remaining edge-wall, I cut strips of granite to size and applied those with thinset. It looks really sharp and gives the edge a sort of textured look.
nottilewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2007, 04:16 PM   #5
Mark in Breck

Thanks for the information. I went to the tile store yesterday and saw a similar edging on a sample they had where they cut tile to hide the extra underlayment so I might go with that. In the back of my mind I knew it had to be thicker than the 3/4" and you all confirmed it.

I appreciate everyones thoughts and advice.
Mark in Breck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2007, 09:00 PM   #6
tilerik

Send a message via Yahoo to tilerik
Don't forget, Schluter makes counter top edging. It's easy to install and looks sharp too!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase