Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-12-2005, 08:52 AM   #1
Absolution

Long time reader 1st time poster...(Potential Shower Problem)

Hi all! I have been a frequent visitor to these forums for many a project. Now I find myself with a problem and hope you can help.

I am tiling a tub/shower. I was planning all along to use drywall as a backer and install Kerdi to keep the moisture out.

After calling SEVERAL local tile companies I was unable to find one that carried the Kerdi in the length I needed. I wasn't about to pay for the minimum size they were selling for such a small job..

SO...I spoke to a sales rep at a large distributer that I have used before and he turned me on to a similar product from Blanke called AQUA-shield. I was hesitant at 1st so I called the Blanke rep and he assured me that it would do everything I wanted it to do and more. (I should have known....woe is me).

So I adhered it to the wall using Mortar like he recommended. Either my mix was a little dry or I took too long with it, but it just didn't feel right going on. It felt like it wasn't adhering to the AQUA-Shield. SO..I waited a day or so for it to dry and did a little test peel and it came off from the mortar a little easier than I would have liked.

I proceeded to pull the material back off the wall and was able to do so without damaging it. As I am a glutton for punishment, I decided to try again, but this time I applied the Mortar to the material and then to the wall and it adhered MUCH better.

I spent quite awhile working out the bubbles and making sure it was set and I walked away happy.

HERE AT LONG LAST IS THE PROBLEM:

The next day I noticed a few small bubbles underneath the barrier. The mortar is set up and I am loathe to rip this stuff out. None of the bubbles are more than a couple square inches. The rest of the material is on there pretty good. The tile I am using is an 8x10.

What do ya think? Cut out the bubbles and and overlap the cuts with more material?

If this were Kerdi would a few small bubbles be a problem? Kill myself now?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks all!
Absolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-12-2005, 09:47 AM   #2
bbcamp

If this were Kerdi, I would tell you to cut out the bubbled areas and patch with more Kerdi, allowing for 2" overlap all around.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2005, 07:16 PM   #3
Absolution

Any other opinions?

I will most likely try cutting them and covering unless someone has a better idea =)
Absolution is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase