Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 10-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #1
2MinutesHate
Adventurer/Patriot Extraordinaire

Epoxy grouting with two different colors

I'm looking for some tips regarding grouting wall tile with two different colors of epoxy grout.

The field tile is a 12x24 porcelain tile and it's grout color is Harvest (Mapei).

The 4" glass accent band receives different color - Hickory (Mapei).

The wall tile pattern is a running bond pattern with 4 rows of 12x24, 4" of 4x12 glass accent and then 1 more row of 12x24 field tile at the top capped with metal bullnose. Total wainscot height - 5'-4".

This will obviously have to be done in two parts as epoxy takes a whole day at least to cure out enough.

I'm thinking about doing all the 12x24 first and then taping off the field tile and coming back the second day and doing the glass accent. However, I'm worried about the Hickory color running down onto the Harvest color.

Has anyone here done this before on the walls and if so, what was your attack plan? Either I'm out of ideas or just being thick about the whole thing.
Unread 10-09-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Regular masking tape may not be your best bet, epoxy heats as it cures and can cause the tape to curl allowing grout behind it. There are 'outdoor' painters tapes now that have a more aggressive bond or stucco tape is another option.

The consensus here seems to be that starting with your deco band may be the best approach. You can pick out any grout that gets into the grout joints of the 12x24 before it fully cures. It's easier to do that that then opposite due to the number of grout joints.

Another suggestion from one of our installers was to use a thin 'wall-paper' blade to terminate the row of grout instead of tape. I know you don't have a lot of time for seeing what works best for you once you start grouting, but perhaps you can have both that and tape available and see which works best.

Good luck, thanks for choosing MAPEI!

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase