Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-10-2017, 05:12 PM   #1
GUGLHUPF

Glossy Paint on Wall

Hi,

Background:
I would like to make my bathroom a little nicer. When we got the house the bathroom was simple painted with a very shiny paint. It could be enamel paint, though I don't know enough about paint to be sure. I would like to put tile up on one wall to break up a very large and very boring wall. About 9 feet long and chest high.
I think the mortar would not stick to the paint. There is a little bordure round the bottom with some carrara ceramic tile, just like the floor. Between the painted wall and the front of the bordure I have about 12mm.

Plan:
I think to deal with the shiny paint, the easiest for me would be to get 1/4inch cement board and screw it over the existing drywall ( with the shiny paint ). Then use some 1/4 inch tile. This should be roughly flush with what is there already.

Questions:
Is this a good plan? If it is and since this is a bathroom do I need to do some special sealing/waterproofing/foil/taping, that stuff? If I do, is this described somewhere how to do it? I will only add to the wall so I am not sure if anything is needed. However I am thinking humidity may enter and be trapped between the current wall and the soon to be installed cement board. Which is why I am asking.

I think the alternative is to use chemicals and sanding to roughen up the existing wall. I think this would be way messier and more work overall. I don't feel quite confident in it.

About me:
As a background I did never tile anything. I am a reasonably good handyman. The closest work so far has been that I put a floating bamboo floor in my sunroom, which was easy. I want to tackle this project to learn tiling and to make the bathroom look a little less boring. There is a good chance that we'll have professional remodelers do the bathroom in 2 years. So this may be throw away work and doesn't have to look perfectly. I do not want to live in a house with mold though.
Attached Images

Last edited by GUGLHUPF; 08-10-2017 at 05:31 PM. Reason: typos
GUGLHUPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-11-2017, 09:16 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard, Ralf.

If you don't want to bother with the cement board you could probably find a tile mastic that will bond to the paint. Make sure the paint is bonded to the wall, though.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase