Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-22-2017, 12:55 PM   #1
Vi Kris

Kitchen Counter top

Water damage under 4" Ceramic tile on kitchen counter top. Pulled the tile(s), tile was installed on particle board cleaned up all the loose nasties, letting it dry, will bleach for any mold or mildew friends.
Thinking about using System Three T-88 to fill gaps in the particle board and bring it up to the proper levels. Then set the tile once the T-88 is cured.
Will thin set stick to the T-88, I think it will be pretty slick. Or is there a better tile adhesive I can use?
Also, thinking about using the Fushion Pro tile grout, I think it is a silicone grout that has a little more flexibility in case the tile does shift a little bit?
Thoughts? Not ready to replace counter top at this time, unfortunately. Thank you in advance for your ideas and assistance.
Kindest Regards, Vicki
Unread 01-22-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
rmckee84

1. Might stick, but the biggest problem is if it is particle board the entire countertop is set up for failure. I don't believe there is a thinset approved for use over particle board.
2. Personally I'd avoid fusion pro, had too many respected pros tell me of the failures they've had to deal with recently.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2017, 09:22 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Vicki,

Initially, it sounds like whatever you do, it's going to be a temporary fix. But if you could give us a picture, that might be helpful.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2017, 09:59 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

When this fails, consider just using a panel of KerdiBoard to make your new countertop...lots of how-to videos on Schluter's website. Totally impervious to water.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase