Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 07-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
wessendorf15
tile/stone setter

1500 sq/ft job advice

hi my name is brendan im sorta of new to the contractors thing been doing tile work for 5 years now and im just starting a business. for myself laying tile. i have done some rooms and other small things bathroom remodels act. i just got a call for a house for 1500 sq/ft and was wanting some advice on how to measure and square it out. and any other tips to make my life easier and get the job done a little quicker. thank you
Unread 07-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Brendan,

Welcome to the forum.

I suggest buying and studying John's books, and reading the library here on the forum. Then get lost in the threads of the Pro's hang out for a few days.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
wessendorf15
tile/stone setter

ive done it for awhile with a quality guy. but im young 21 years old and i know but i need to know any advice that could help me with future jobs
Unread 07-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #4
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Brendan, welcome!

When you say "advice on how to measure and square it out"- what does this mean? Are you referring to the bidding process or the installation end of it?
Unread 07-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
Jim Cordes

can't just know everything that quick...get the job, ask for advice, do the best you can,....study as you work. very important to research every job as you get them ...then before you know it you will start feeling comfortable.

yea it can be scary but being prepared helps alot.

you can even post pics here and ask questions. as far as bidding..that can be hard to do until you get rolling and find out what you need to charge..

give the customer the best job you can do and you will prosper. if you don't then not only will you have many problems but you won't get repeat business.

knowledge is power....power is money
Unread 07-19-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
wessendorf15
tile/stone setter

that's what i have been doing and i seem to be doing quality work and getting referred out alot to my customers friends. this job is very important cause its for a high ranking military man who could be detrimental to my word of mouth. so i want it to be perfect
Unread 07-19-2014, 09:50 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Brendan, welcome. Like the others said, read, read, and read some more. By reading, you will find some things you're doing wrong. You'll also learn how to do things the right way. I can say this because all of us here have been in your shoes. I've been around tile work all my life and been setting tile nearly 40 years and I'm still learning.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 10:42 PM   #8
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

After the reading, ask a few thousand questions.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
PetrH

"how to measure and square it out" Here's how I do it. I take the longest wall in the largest room, or the longest hallway that leads to a large room. I snap a line parallel to that, one tile +1/8" out from the wall. then I check every wall in the house off of that line to make sure I don't end up with any slivers 2" or smaller. Then I repeat with a perpendicular wall, keeping that line square to the first line. For a whole house this can take a couple of hours to do properly.

Also figure out some narrow points every 15 to 20 ft to put in expansion joints.
Unread 07-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #10
Jim Cordes

don't trust exterior doors or cabinets, use a long straight edge on the wall if it is wavy, don't measure off of joint compound in the corners, measure using the widest distances for more accuracy,learn how to do a 3-4-5 to check and how to use it to get a perpendicular line off of just one line.if using spacers understand how they will creep over distance,use different color chalk lines for layout and final lines, understand when its best to center the room and when it will be better to start full tile off of noticable places. make sure crooked walls are less noticable by having bigger pieces on them.. There are alot of little tricks to make the job look proper. It comes with time

you should know basically what size cuts you will have on all the walls before you start setting tile
Unread 07-20-2014, 10:32 AM   #11
HS345
Tile Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petr
"how to measure and square it out" Here's how I do it. I take the longest wall in the largest room, or the longest hallway that leads to a large room. I snap a line parallel to that, one tile +1/8" out from the wall. then I check every wall in the house off of that line to make sure I don't end up with any slivers 2" or smaller. Then I repeat with a perpendicular wall, keeping that line square to the first line. For a whole house this can take a couple of hours to do properly.

Also figure out some narrow points every 15 to 20 ft to put in expansion joints.
An accurate laser square can really speed up this process. "Accurate", being the key word. Don't buy the $49 Stanley at Home Repo, I made that mistake. Learn from my mistake.
Unread 07-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #12
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'm with Greg, a laser is a great tool for this. I have one that shoots a 90* L beam and I can set it parallel with one wall and check others at the same time.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 06:13 PM   #13
wessendorf15
tile/stone setter

wow thanks guys for the advice! i have been in it over 5 years with a guy and its a totally different story when you have to do it all on your own! im really liking this forum and is going picture my progress with you guys !
Unread 07-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #14
Autoplay
Tile Setter

How did the guy you worked for/with....layout floors etc?
Unread 07-20-2014, 07:20 PM   #15
wessendorf15
tile/stone setter

when i watched he squared it out then would go from the walls and measure the walls. i just never understood how he did it. and dont want to ask cause im trying to fill the schedule in with him still while i slowly grow my clientele.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase