Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
2MinutesHate
Adventurer/Patriot Extraordinaire

Kerdi-Line Question

Hi everyone. I have a question concerning this product as it is our first time installing this.

When installing the channel body, is it necessary to use the foam spacer(channel support), which is 1" thick or could this be achieved by packing mud under it? The problem is that the foam spacer is 1" thick and the mud floor can be no more than 3/4" thick at that point.

I have watched the video on it but it just shows an installation which incorporates Schluter's shower tray with it. I thought about running the foam spacer(channel support) through the wet saw and cutting it down to 3/4" thick.

This floor is going to be 1x1 mosaics so I don't have to use any of the profiles or weird stuff.

Thoughts anyone?
Unread 11-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Think we'd need more information about your project to help a lot, Carlo, but my first question would be why can your mud not be 1" thick at the drain?

Is this shower on a wood framed floor or a concrete SOG?

I'm thinking that foam spacer was used whether you used a foam tray or deck mud for your floor. Perhaps someone will correct me on that, but seems that's what I brought home from the last Schluter class.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

From what I remember, the spacer is important in the installation so that the levels of the drain and grate are proper. It's been awhile...you need to read the instructions carefully, check to see if they have a video on their website (did one come with the drain? it does on their 'normal' drain), or call them to clarify.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
kentth

I just got done putting one of the drains in last week. The videos and instructions only talk about using the foam insert. Of course none of the videos or instructions talk about using a mud pan, they are wanting you to use their foam bed. From my experience, it made the installation of the drain very easy.

It provides the support needed for the drain body and keeps everything at the proper level. I don't think I would install the drain without it.
Unread 12-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
zeaflal

As I recall, Schluder does not ask that you put any thinset under the drain body, just over and under the foam spacer under the flange. With the minimum practical thinset on the spacer, the channel body will be within 1/8 inch of the floor. So without recessing the channel into the floor, the foam spacer is near the minimum thickness. Also, if you are installing at a wall that is no way to put mud on the wall side of the channel. The spacer becomes the only practical way to support that side. (Note that the narrow side of the spacer goes against the wall. There is an additional stick-on section to make it full width for center installation.)

It should be obvious, but be sure the channel is installed level. The channel slope is minimal, so if even slightly out of level you will have a permanent puddle in the channel.
Unread 12-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #6
2MinutesHate
Adventurer/Patriot Extraordinaire

Thanks you guys for the input. I think I will abandon my idea of removing the foam spacer. I will just have to raise the floor that extra 1/4" there. This job is a therapy room (with tub and shower) in an assisted living facility. Meeting ADA requirements is a concern here so raising the floor too much from the adjacent hallway can be a problem. In essence, I was trying to keep the mud bed as thin as possible.

Some things you just can't change.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase