Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 11-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
hbrothberg

www.porch.com

OK, so who knows about this website www.porch.com ?

Who has Signed Up & listed themselves in the Find A Pro section ?

Henry
Office: (203) 393-0010 ext 202
Cell: (203) 988-1814

Full Disclosure: I am a 2nd generation Laticrete guy !
Follow my Blog: www.laticrete.blogspot.com
hbrothberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

Never heard of it before. But they already have me listed.

Maybe from my website?

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Very few Houston contractors listed. Maybe three per category and no reviews. Pretty poor for the third largest city in America.

Somewhat carefully typed on teensy cell phone keys.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
Arizona Floors
ReTile

So is it a bad thing to make this websites list? Seems like there are 1,000s of similar sites out there that have everyone's basic business info, not sure what database they pull from. I didn't really check out the site.

I didn't sign us up but it looks like we made the list.

Paul, you'll need to click the "see more" button below the 3 that first appear. I'm sure your on there too.
Arizona Floors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

its part of a now defunct site/company called HelpScore, Inc.
that never got off the ground.

pretty much like a Servicemaster, Angies List, Zillow or Houzz mix or clone.

they had lots of ads out for hiring people and looks like they never made it.

maybe this is round 2 ?

www.helpscore.com

Name:  untitled.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  5.6 KB

Quote:
StartUp: HelpScore, Inc.

What's in it for me?:
Entry Level Salary + Opportunity for Weekly/Monthly Bonuses
Last Updated:
10/29/2012
About Us:

Coming Soon...
Job Description:

HelpScore is looking for people to join our team as sales representatives. If you are interested in joining a group of accomplished, passionate people pushing the evolution of online marketplaces, then we want to talk with you!

About Us: We are a new start-up company focusing on helping homeowners find the right pros for their home needs, and we need someone to take charge of growing our network of service professionals. Our founders have built companies from the ground up - past accomplishments have included building a $60MM company, growing a company to $400MM and IPO, running and growing business in XBox/MSFT from $100MM to $800MM in 4 years, and building the optimization team at Google. This is your chance to join a fast-paced start-up from the beginning, work side-by-side with amazing entrepreneurs, and learn from the best!

About You: As with any team member, we're looking for someone who is resourceful, bright, proactive, a go-getter, works well independently and as part of a team, and who will be passionate about what he or she does.

About the Job: The ideal candidate will be comfortable with making sales calls - you will be primarily responsible for making sales calls to pursue and close new business in the professional services field (architect, contractor, designer). You will be responsible for delivering and perfecting a pitch, negotiating price and terms, and coordinating all aspects of the sale from beginning to end. You do not need to have sales experience, just a good work ethic and an ability to get the job done.

If you help us grow and prove to be a valuable team member, there is the possibility of a long-term position on our team. Dependent on sales, there could be weekly and/or monthly bonuses.

Tampa Florida Tile Installation
^^Check out our Blog^^

Last edited by ceramictec; 11-12-2013 at 03:50 PM.
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
ceramictec

Name:  Seattle+Times.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  42.9 KB

^^Check out our Blog^^
Unread 11-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
You mean there's somebody out there offering me a job? I'm excited.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
ceramictec

are you resourceful, bright, proactive, a go-getter, works well independently and as part of a team, and who will be passionate about what he or she does ?

^^Check out our Blog^^
Unread 11-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Porch was a big roll out that has big money behind it. But until this thread I had forgotten all about it. But I just checked and there doesn't seem to be a lot happening on it.

I think what is supposed to happen is that you are supposed to post photos of renovation work that you do and list the people's address. Then people can look up in their own neighborhood and see what others have done and how much it costs.

This seems like an invasion of privacy to me and I wouldn't do it without written consent from your clients.

There's also some sort of contractor review section to it that was supposed to be more "pure" than Angie's List.

Michael Stone has discussed this site on his Linkedin group. He doesn't advise getting involved in these types of "listing" sites.
Unread 02-09-2014, 11:48 AM   #10
mneagle

Porch Update

I work at Porch.com and wanted to provide this thread with an update on our company and our progress.

Since our launch in September 2013, we have been working hard to make home improvement easy, delightful, and connected.

We now have many thousands of home professionals using our site and getting quality leads in their area. We also announced a partnership with Lowe's to provide recommendations for trusted local professionals to shoppers in their stores and have been featured in over 2,000 media articles on CNN, Wall Street Journal, TechCrunch, Bloomberg,and many more.

For home professionals, Porch is a great way to build a stronger online presence, increase word-of-mouth referrals, and get connected to the right customers.

We provide a free profile that lets you showcase your prior work and collect endorsements from customers. We then use that information to connect you with customers who are searching for pros who have done work in their neighborhood, on similar homes, on similar types of projects, or for their friends.

In regards to the use of address information, we mask that information at the neighborhood level in our maps and our search results so it is not attributable to a specific house. It is used at the aggregate level to make our search results better and to better connect homeowners with professionals who have done quality work in their area.

We recognize home professionals have many options to promote their business. We are working hard and moving quickly to provide you with a better way to reach the right customers to grow your business.

You can learn more about us by visiting Porch.com, emailing us at support@porch.com, or calling us at 888-549-6019.

Thanks.

Matthew Neagle
Director, Pro Marketing
Porch.com
Unread 02-09-2014, 12:40 PM   #11
Higher Standard Tile

Matthew thanks for posting.

I'm curious how does Porch make money?

For example Angie's List gives the impression that it's income comes mainly from homeowner membership fees but it actually makes more from contractor advertising. Anytime I see a number with an Indiana area code I ignore it because I know who's calling

Maui, Hawaii

Unread 02-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #12
CASAVANT TILE

Looked into it briefly. Not sure where the names and businesses come from but it's obvious they just pull names from wherever they please without contacting the owners for the sake of building a directory. Example- one former local business is listed on there. This business was taking deposits in the tens of thousands of dollars and never ordering material, or contacting the owners again. Local news team got involved and the owner ended up getting arrested, and charged. Not sure what happened to him, I think he's in prison, but this was back in summer 2010, more than 3 years before porch.com was even established. How did this company get advertised in porch.com? Saw several others listed that are no longer in business too.

Here's the link:

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...ide&id=7635201
http://casavanttile.com

Last edited by CASAVANT TILE; 02-09-2014 at 04:41 PM.
CASAVANT TILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #13
ceramictec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneagle View Post
We now have many thousands of home professionals using our site and getting quality leads in their area.
Isaac,

Seems like its simar to Servicemaster and they charge contractors for leads.
I know you have heard the horror stories of SM. Guys headin to home and 8-9 contractors already had the same email lead. And the more guys they send the lead to the more $ they make.

^^Check out our Blog^^
Unread 02-09-2014, 11:30 PM   #14
Kman

Just to clarify, ServiceMaster is a disaster restoration and cleaning business. They come to your house after a flood, fire, etc., and they do commercial and residential cleaning.

Servicemagic, which is now called HomeAdvisor, is a website that lists pros for home improvements and repairs.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #15
Higher Standard Tile

I'll take Angies's List over Service Magic any day. They are why I also used to never answer any calls from Colorado.
Service Magic is now called Home Advisors.

Maui, Hawaii

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase