Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-28-2022, 05:21 AM   #1
nebojsa

Confused

I have talked to a renovation person about what my plan is how i will tile a shower.
I will be using either Kerdi board or drywall with a Schluter membrane over it.

I have never heard of using 4x8 subfloor panel as a shower wall. I can't see it and it does not make sense to me, but then i don't know.

Any ideas.
Unread 09-28-2022, 07:03 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi nebojsa, Welcome.

KerdiBoard is a foam tile backer board used on showers. Kerdi membrane over drywall has been done for decades. Works great.

www.schluter.com (Watch the videos)
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2022, 05:45 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Schluter has lots of videos on how to use their products. This is one that shows the use of their shower kit, but you may find KerdiBoard with a mud pan would give you more flexibility on sizing. https://youtu.be/9hPMWc22oK8

It's a good idea to get familiar with how it's done, even if you're paying someone to do it for you (and ideally, it's not their first one, but it's not really hard). ANY shower is detail oriented...you need to follow the instructions...it's not technically hard, but it does take some understanding of what's required, and follow-through.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2022, 04:58 AM   #4
nebojsa

Maybe i was mis-understood. I did previously renovate showers, either with Kerdi board or drywall with Schluter membrane.

The question is has anybody ever used 4x8 subfloor panel instead of Kerdi board or drywall or cement board to tile a shower wall. I never heard of that.

Nebojsa
Unread 09-29-2022, 06:09 AM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I guess I'm not clear on what "sub-floor panel" you're talking about. Plywood?
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2022, 02:54 PM   #6
nebojsa

Yes plywood.
Unread 09-29-2022, 03:34 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I would not use plywood on my shower walls. I'd use the Kerdiboard or sheetrock with Kerdi over it like John mentions in post 2.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2022, 05:40 AM   #8
nebojsa

Nice information. One question. I have a older shower/tub where upper part of the wall's are drywall with plaster over it and the bottom half is just drywall. Will Kerdi membrane work on both materials with modified thinset.
Unread 10-29-2022, 09:16 AM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

I've moved your post here from the other visitor's thread to avoid confusion on his thread. Best to keep all your project questions on one project thread.

Would depend somewhat on just what the "plaster" is that you've got, but I wouldn't hesitate to use Kerdi over it if it's in good condition. You would void the warranty if using a modified thinset mortar with the Kerdi, but yes, it will work just fine in that application.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2022, 05:25 AM   #10
nebojsa

Thank you for the input. Yes i am confused . Modified, Unmodified. You can use Modified over this but not that.
You can use Unmodified over this but not that, and then there is, you can use any of the Schluter mortar. Schluter also has modified /unmodified mortar. Even the Schluter information is a bit confusing, at least for me it is.
Unread 10-31-2022, 07:34 AM   #11
cx
Moderator emeritus

Let me put your confusion into perspective, Nebojsa. All manufacturers of direct bonded waterproofing membranes (Kerdi, NobleSeal, RedGard, etc.) require the use of a modified thinset mortar with their products - except Schluter. Schluter didn't want latex modified mortars used because some of them take a very long time for the polymers to dry (the cement still cures at the same rate with or without) when sandwiched between impervious materials.

Most of the modified thinset mortars (ANSI A118.4) of today are modified with polymers other than latex and, while the polymers might still require some air drying, they don't have the problems of the latex modified mortars, and many, many of them can be used effectively with Schluter's products. Schluter knows that. But their contention is that since they can't test their product with all known modified mortars, they'll just require un-modified mortars. That caused a good deal of confusion, like your own, and Schluter decided to start making their own modified mortars, which they could recommend for use with their products.

Bottom line: All other manufacturers of similar waterproofing and uncoupling products require a modified mortar. If you want to think that somehow Schluter's products are substantially different in that regard, that's up to you. Schluter's own modified mortar, and their un-modified mortar, work just fine and you can use them if you want. Or you can forego the Schluter warranty (which won't likely ever be of benefit to you) and use any number of other products on the market. We (TYW) generally always recommend you read and follow the product manufacturer's instructions, but this is a case where I deviate from that. See my warranty information below.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2022, 04:37 AM   #12
nebojsa

Thank you for clarifying it.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase