Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-27-2022, 03:12 PM   #1
lordoftheflies

Front stoop repair

Hi. I have some pavers that were completely loose on the edge of the stoop. The work was done by contractors and let's just say they didn't do a good job and had to redo the entire stoop.

Anyways, they are long gone and now I've got these paver bricks that were just set on top of stone dust on top of concrete filled cinder blocks. As you can see the surface is not smooth. I've just scraped it clean and used a garden hose on the highest pressure I could dial in (hose is adjustable). I can power wash if necessary. I knocked off all the loose spots and the rest of the stoop is holding in place.

My question is whether or not I can use modified thinset to adhere the pavers directly to the rough surface. Or, should I use an angle grinder and try to smooth it out as much as possible? Or should I go and get a bag of sand mix for this purpose? I happen to have one bag of modified thinset in the garage.

How thick can I lay the thinset? If I had to guess there was probably about 3/8" of stone dust. They did not secure the edges at all and with the rain (no awning over the stoop) it simply washed away.

The thinset says "Polymer modified".

Thank you in advance.

First pic shows before cleaning off the stone dust.
Attached Images

Unread 09-27-2022, 04:41 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Thinset mortar is just that, a thin bonding layer of roughly 1/4 inch or less. I would mix up some thinset and spread some on the rough surface. Then spread some fat mud (for masonry work) over the wet thinset and then also apply a layer of thinset to the backs of the pavers and set them into the mud, mashing or beating them down to the right height. The thinset mortar will bond the fat mud to the rough surface and also to the pavers.

You can buy fat mud at Lowes or Home Depot premixed in bags, just add water.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2022, 06:34 PM   #3
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

AKA "Brick Morter or Mason mix."
Unread 09-27-2022, 09:18 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, RH.

Davy's fat mud method will surely work with the thinset mortar you have, or you might wanna look at the LFT (Large Format Tile) version of that VersaBond, which is actually a LHT (Large and Heavy Tile) mortar according to ANSI standards and the manufacturer says it can be used in thicknesses up to three quarters of an inch on horizontal surfaces. Marking on the bag similar to your photo, but will say it meets A118.4HT. H is for Large and Heavy Tile, and T is for thixotrophic, making it a non-sag mortar, too. Just another option, 'specially if that bag of mortar you have has been open for a while.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2022, 06:15 AM   #5
lordoftheflies

Thanks for the replies.

Upon closer inspection of the rear most brick it looks to be about 1" or so above the rough concrete so I will follow the thinset+mortarmix+thinset triple layer method.

Should I wet the bottom of the bricks before back buttering them? I should think so as the bricks will suck up moisture pretty quickly from the thinset.

I'll pick up a bag o' this and post some pics. I may have time today to do this.
Attached Images

Unread 09-28-2022, 06:18 AM   #6
lordoftheflies

Should I mix the thinset a bit on the wet side so it gets into the nooks and crannies? And perhaps slightly less wet on the mortar mix? Should it be like setting a tub dry? Or a bit more wet than that?

I did set a tub and I made that mix pretty dry.

Thanks.
Unread 09-28-2022, 07:32 AM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The bricks and old rough mud can be damp but you don't want any standing water. The thinset can be thinner than usual since you're using it as a skim coat bonder. Same with the brick mud, a little thinner than usual but thick enough to support the bricks without them sinking. A rubber mallet is handy to tap them into the mud.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2022, 02:09 PM   #8
lordoftheflies

Thanks. Will tackle this project tomorrow with pics!
Unread 09-29-2022, 08:36 AM   #9
lordoftheflies

So I chipped away at all the loose chunks of rough concrete. There was a lot more than I expected. Some of it was coming off in sheets. Then I brushed it clean, wet a small paintbrush and wet the rough concrete making sure there was no standing water.

White is the thinset. Grey is the mortar mix. I bought a 15lb bag of mortar mix and had quite a bit extra.

Back buttered all the pavers with thinset ensuring complete coverage. The pavers must have been sticking up at least 5/8" above the good pavers so I had to do some jiggling and tapping with the rubber mallet.

All in all it took a little over an hour. I figured I'd just pour some polymeric sand for grout since that's what's between the rest of the pavers.

Thank you all for the advice. It went just about as smoothly as I could have imagined it.
Attached Images

Unread 09-29-2022, 08:39 AM   #10
lordoftheflies

Here's the tub showing how much excess I had.

Now onto doing a full service on a new-to-him Honda HS928 snowblower for my neighbor....which happens to be the exact same unit that I just procured as well.

Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase