Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-21-2022, 04:46 PM   #1
supersan7

Peter's Kitchen Counter

I have a similar project as the OP: a kitchen counter on which some of the original grout has cracked or come out in spots. The tiles are small (typical white-ish kitchen tiles), and the grout lines are 1/16th".

What tool or tools are best for removing the old grout from 1/16" lines? My kitchen opens to the dining/living room so it's not possible to seal if off, so I'd prefer a removal method that doesn't result in material floating through the air and landing on everything.

What are people's opinions on Fusion Pro for this type of situation? Or would unsanded be better? Or something else?
Unread 09-21-2022, 07:41 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

I've separated your post from the other visitor's old thread to avoid confusion in both places, Peter.

'Fraid I've no idea what a "typical white-ish kitchen tile" might be. A photo or/and a bit more description would certainly help.

Do you know what grout is currently in those tiles?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2022, 10:46 AM   #3
supersan7

Here are 3 photos of the tiles and grout. The tiles are about 4" x 4" with a very smooth, untextured surface. The existing grout was here when I got my house, so I don't know what type it is. Do the photos indicate whether the existing grout is likely sanded or unsanded? Thanks.
Attached Images

Unread 09-22-2022, 09:13 PM   #4
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

I'd probably do that by hand with some sort of scraping tool or grout saw. It's just too narrow for say a grout blade on an oscillating tool, in my opinion - I had that same countertop, and shower, in my house so very familiar with the "typical, whitish kitchen tile" from the late 80's to 90's here in CA.

As for what's best for the new grout, I'll leave that to the Pro's but having just used Custom's Prism, I would likely use that unless steered otherwise. And it is sanded but can be used in 1/16" grout lines.
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2022, 07:20 AM   #5
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Looks like un-sanded from here, Peter. Agree with John on removing it by hand. And you'll need to get most of it out so that the new grout will adhere; about two thirds of the thickness of the tile, which are probably about 1/4" thick.

My favorite grout so far is Spectralock Pro Premium. It is an epoxy grout, which would be ideal for a kitchen countertop, for its stain resistance. Some people have reported that the grout in white can yellow, possibly due to exposure to sun light. I recently used Spectralock One, which is a single component grout and is also touted as being stain resistant. It is a pre-mixed grout so it is easy to do small sections at a time. Both of the above are consider sanded grouts so you'll have to work at getting them into those narrow joints.

Fusion Pro, also a single component pre-mixed grout might be an option, I've never used it. Mapei's Flexcolor CQ single component pre-mixed could also be an option. I tried it, I think it would work well on your glossy, smooth tile.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2022, 08:28 PM   #6
supersan7

Thanks! Has anyone used the potential options mentioned by Dan and John in a project re-grouting 1/16th” lines? What was your experience in getting the grout in the thin lines? If you were able to see the project years later, how well did it hold up?

The ones they mentioned as having potential are:

Spectralock One (single component pre-mixed)
Mapei's Flexcolor CQ (single component pre-mixed)
Fusion Pro (single component pre-mixed)
?Spectralock Pro Premium (epoxy)
Custom’s Prism

Thanks

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase