Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 09-17-2022, 04:05 PM   #211
michael48

I didn't know I wasn't comfortable until I read the reviews on this site. Just wondering if the consensus had changed. I don't mind using it if it's a good product. Already purchased a few bags, just wondering if life would be easier with a different product.

Last edited by michael48; 09-17-2022 at 04:40 PM.
michael48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2022, 06:37 PM   #212
cx
Moderator emeritus

Well, I'll combine your question with the general product discussion in the Hangout, Michael.

We rarely (never?) see a rep from the TEC company participate here, and I don't really expect a response this time, but one never knows.

Or perhaps one of our resident pros has again tried the grout recently and might have a new opinion. Some say it works, some say it doesn't. I've never tried the stuff and can't really help.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2022, 07:15 PM   #213
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

In my opinion, life would be easier to pick another product. It’s not a bad product, but the potential for a headache isn’t worth the advertised benefit.

While I have used a lot of Tec products over the years and like them, I won’t use this product. This isn’t a wonder product. Any standard cementitious grout can be very easily sealed with a foam brush and a few minutes time. The important things to remember are to buy a decent sealer, apply the sealer to the joint (maybe 25 sq/ft at a time) and allow to dwell for the specified time (usually about 5 minutes), and don’t let the sealer dry before you polish the wet joints 100% dry with a white rag.

A grout that will make your job better is to use one that will dry to its advertised color (splotchy and lighter-than-expected grout color are very common problems). I suggest Laticrete’s Permacolor or Custom Building Product’s Prism. Both are cementitious grouts, are easy to use, and dry to their advertised color.

Help an awesome summer camp!

Last edited by Tool Guy - Kg; 09-17-2022 at 08:25 PM.
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2022, 12:10 AM   #214
CaliGrown

Used it a bit over a year and a half ago and had issues with it, had to run the grout through twice and do touch ups after it cured. Used it as it was supplied by the GC, prefer Custom’s Prism, Mapei’s Ultracolor FA or Laticrete’s Permacolor all roughly the same price point without issues.
Four years back I used it in a tub hop, one bag never cured. The new bag dried rock hard in 20 min, and the gray became very splotchy. Not work the headaches as Bubba pointed out
CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2022, 10:57 AM   #215
michael48

Great, thanks guys for your feedback!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase