Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 06-07-2016, 01:27 PM   #1
siklife

quick question about installation prices

Hey guys, just a quick question for the pros here. Whats a good price per sq foot to install stone (specifically travertine) tile. Smaller jobs around the 200-300 sq/f with basic perimeter cuts. Not including prep since every job is different. Also wanted to see what you guys are charging to lay down hardie board, just labor. Its pretty labor intensive with the thinset and all the screws, and ive always felt im not charging enough at dollar a sq/f. This is around the chicago area btw. Many contractors like to use it over schluter since they dont wana spend the extra money on material.
Unread 06-07-2016, 03:06 PM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Vi,

Read this thread

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2016, 04:00 PM   #3
Dave Gobis
da Man!

Like Paul basically said, no way to answer that. If you have three months of work your too cheap.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2016, 05:41 PM   #4
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

I'll take exception to the 3 month rule Dave, we are commonly booked for 8 or 9 months. If I could charge another nickle, you know I would.

But then we do larger remodels that take weeks to months to complete.

Unread 06-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #5
siklife

Great read houston. I typically quote by how much time i think a project will take me when they are my costumer. Dealing with gc's is a whole different ball game. All they wana hear is sq/f price. As much as i hate dealing with them, i have to at times.

Anyways if anyone would like to throw some numbers around id appreciate it!

Last edited by siklife; 06-07-2016 at 08:36 PM.
siklife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2016, 10:19 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I use to do work for builders all the time. I was always surprised at how they were always focused on sq ft price. If I was a dollar a sq ft higher than the next guy, they would pitch a fit. But I learned to keep my sq ft price about the same as the next guy and hit him on extras. I always charged 200-250 for jamb labor, 400 for a seat, especially if I had to build it from concrete blocks. Also several hundred for a design or border. Most didn't have a problem with the extras.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2016, 10:37 PM   #7
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Vi!

Right. All the GC wants to hear is a square foot price. Think about that and write down a few paragraphs of why that is. Then contemplate what price, if any, is appropriate. A trustworthy GC is capable of using a sq/ft price. But my experience is that only includes maybe 5% of GCs.

Some pros may use $1-2.5 per foot for cbu install as they're building a bid. But that doesn't include job specific factors that could dramatically affect the price. For instance, if I'm working in Chicago, I'd likely add this to the sq/ft price: 1) trip charge into the city. 2) parking fees, and 3) fee for time spent hauling stuff from your truck 4 buildings down the block and up 3 flights of stairs to the job site.

Manage your bids wisely so they don't take advantage of you. Giving out sq/ft pricing and working for most GSc is typically as pleasant as fingernails on a chalkboard. If you're interested in hearing 20 ways to get business other than through GCs, just ask. Plenty of pros will share their experiences to help you.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2016, 10:41 PM   #8
PetrH

You're desperate for a $ figure. Around here It's $10/sq ft, including all setting materials and a coat of sealer. But I'm not even in the same country as you. Another way to approach travertine: charge exactly double what a regular porcelain would be.
Unread 06-07-2016, 10:48 PM   #9
PetrH

I do Sq ft pricing all the time. It's not that bad. Sometimes you make $1000/day and sometimes $300, but it all evens out over the year.

Contractors need predictable pricing more than anything. They need to be able to tell a client how much things will cost before the house is ever built. If you find a couple of good contractors to work for it's an easy road. a steady stream of work and after a few jobs you get the prep all ironed out with the other trades on site. And no, you can't charge them for parking, they'll never call you again
Unread 06-07-2016, 11:13 PM   #10
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

While working for GC's provides a nice source of work, it comes with the low prices and demanding schedules.

I stopped working for builders / GCs a while ago

Unread 06-08-2016, 07:23 AM   #11
Dave Gobis
da Man!

I don't need to rethink it Paul. I practiced sliding pricing based on backlog for close to twenty years. There were times when I was literally at 100 % higher (16 weeks out) than my normal price (two weeks out). Only exception was regular accounts so they could budget.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2016, 08:14 PM   #12
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Hi Vi

Questions like this are probably going to get better answers if asked in the private Pro Chat area. You have to be approved and it's for professionals only. You sound like you might be a pro but we do need to verify your credentials.

If you are interested, fill out your user profile better and you can apply by going to User CP --> Group Memberships.
Unread 06-09-2016, 10:17 PM   #13
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

Quote:
I'll take exception to the 3 month rule Dave, we are commonly booked for 8 or 9 months. If I could charge another nickle, you know I would.
Paul I take exception to your exception.
Most experienced tile contractors/business owners would agree that 8-9 months is evidence that you are not getting every nickle you could (I've been as guilty of that as anyone). You have plenty of room there to raise your prices on a sliding scale like Dave mentioned and let some drop off and still keep busy with the ones that will pay more. If they would wait for you for 8-9 months, they WILL pay more, especially when it cuts their wait time in more than half.
Unread 06-10-2016, 09:42 PM   #14
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

I've talked to Paul, and the prices he gets for his work in Texas are impressive.
They are actually impressive for Maui, Manhattan, or the Bay Area too.

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2016, 08:31 AM   #15
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

Okay, maybe I should give this more thought.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase