Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 05-25-2016, 08:09 AM   #16
Dave Gobis
da Man!

To run mud floors I always used a mag and wood float, just a preference. Only used steel on walls.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2016, 01:38 PM   #17
Just In Tile LLC

When I was learning to float floors and countertops part of the challenge and skill was learning the steel trowel to finish the mud. Since the bevel was very slight you had to make sure and keep pressure off the leading edge as to not dig into the mud.

Aren't the mags really beveled? Or do they make a fairly square edge one?
Unread 05-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #18
Autoplay
Tile Setter

Mags are beveled yes.

When using a brand new steel trowel,prior to using it the first time.....peen the trowel......hit it lightly in the center of the trowel,with a hammer. The idea is to put ever so slight of a peen in the center,so the two leading edges are concave in relationship to the center. Makes using it a lot easier....and less likely to accidentally dig into your mud while pressing/rubbing up.
Unread 05-25-2016, 07:01 PM   #19
bulldog tile

I've always "rubbed down" mud walls with my beating block. With a circular motion it leaves a semi-smooth texture and the beveled edge is great for working the corners.

I use my flat trowel to finish off mud floors like Davy said. It brings the moisture to the top and makes the finished product a little harder than the average mud bed.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
bulldog tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2016, 08:03 PM   #20
Just In Tile LLC

Sometimes a re-read my comments and they come off kinda, well arrogant. Im really a humble down to earth middle aged man I promise haha.
Unread 05-25-2016, 08:58 PM   #21
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Justin, some times I do wet my walls down after mudding them. Just yesterday I mudded a wall that is nearly 9 ft tall and 6 ft wide. I had scratched it the day before. I wet down the scratch coat before setting my sticks so the mud will set slower. After I finished the wall, we ate lunch and afterward we mudded a second smaller wall. At the end of the day I sprayed the large wall with a light spray to hopefully avoid any cracking. No cracks today so I guess we did good.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2016, 06:22 PM   #22
Just In Tile LLC

Check out these plastic lattice float strips.
Attached Images

Unread 05-26-2016, 10:01 PM   #23
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

Nice Float strips!
Justin, the guy who told you steel brings up too much water was probably right in relation to how wet or dry his mix was (or sometimes how long you wait to use it or how much you work it). It obviously works great for guys like Davy who really have their mix moisture tuned in (I have to be super careful with steel on wall mud but I always finish with it on deck mud).
I rate the trowels in order of how much water they bring up: 1- steel, 2-magnesium, 3- resin, 4- wood. So if you're satisfied with a wood-only finish then you can use a slightly looser mix. Almost the same if you only use the steel for one light pass or wait a little for it to firm up (wait too long and it's worthless for driving the sharp rocks down). Resin is pretty close to wood on the bring-water-up scale; I like the sharper edges mine has for bigger flat floors, but I prefer worn wood for the curves of shower pans.
Since I like the more durable surface that light finish trowel provides, I'll sometimes finish with either steel or magnesium depending on how wet or dry I think my mix is. Steel for a dryer mix, magnesium for wetter since it brings a little less moisture up.
Unread 05-26-2016, 11:18 PM   #24
Just In Tile LLC

Davy, Rich, Tom, Tool Modifiers,
I got my new trowels in the mail, now that I have my old ones to experiment with, have ya'll ever squared and straightened your old steel trowel or resin floats?

I thought I also read about truing up your old straight edges somehow, belt sander?
Unread 05-28-2016, 07:04 AM   #25
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've never tried to straighten the edge of old trowels. I have a few that could use it. I usually buy the rubber handle trowels made by Marshalltown, I like those best.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 05-29-2016, 07:45 AM   #26
Just In Tile LLC

I wouldn't know anything about that Davy
Attached Images

Unread 05-29-2016, 05:09 PM   #27
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Justin, I've never seen plastic float strips. Where did you find them?

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 05-29-2016, 06:10 PM   #28
Just In Tile LLC

Well Davy, I had a woodworking buddy help me float, and told him about me trying to find redwood because mine I made out of heartwood cedar. He saw me spray them down to keep them wet with your pump up sprayer trick.

Couple of days later he texted me and said he was going to drop off a "present for me"
He saw the lattice dividers at our Lowes here and ripped them to take that center piece out. Said I wouldn't have to hose them down.

http://m.lowes.com/pd/White-Vinyl-La...03-ft/50280317.

You can see in the picture one of the center pieces didn't get completely cut off but a little angle grinder work should remedy it.
Attached Images

Unread 05-29-2016, 06:38 PM   #29
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I may have to look into that, I like that idea. CX ripped a bunch of sticks for me a few years ago that I'm still using. I take care of my sticks and hate having to cut them up.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 05-29-2016, 06:47 PM   #30
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

So, it looks like they are lattice dividers for a fence. There would be 4-8 ft long sticks out of each divider, is that correct?

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase