Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Closed Thread
Unread 01-26-2015, 11:26 PM   #1
Kilauea
LT

Hiring Setters

A couple of months ago,I ran a Craigslist ad to sell some of my old wetsaws off.I got a huge response from multiple folks.All of which were hispanic.The guy that I ended up selling my saw to showed me some pics,and I was impressed.I offered him some work,and he has been setting for me ever since.

Its been kind of awkward.A learning experience no doubt.As alot of the rest of you cocky baddest on the planet tileguys (myself included),other styles are kind of a no-no.Not saying that they are bad,or less effective,just different.Lets face it.Most of us arrive at point B from different routes,but arrive there the same.

As Ive noticed,most of the tile guys that have really enjoyed success,have guys eventually setting for them.Most of them arent on this forum,but some are that work for the guys Im talkin about.James Woelfel is one of the guys Im talkin about who is a pure tile success story.Hats off,James...you're my business idols!

Hiring setters is a river that some never cross.I have to cross this river.Why?I cannot enjoy any more success than what I have now without other setters.Training guys from ground level has proven to not work.Atleast not for me.Ive nor the time or patience already.Ive tried.

That being said,Ive adapted to teaching vigorously my style to another wayward yet motivated young setter.Using leveling systems has been the hardest road.It take longer but has its advantages.Being able to share theories that not only are foreign but work are definitely a learning curve.The art of approaching a job meticulously through premeditation rather than hacking thru it wiith a sigma and a makita has been a test.

He is hungry.Willing to accept my style,or atleast methods of "proper" installation whether it be pre slope or mesh taping CBU.Knowing the "proper" way and understanding its benefits.I have taught him mud,and have let him mud walls.1st time ive seen someone so motivated.I guess Ive given him what his peeps couldnt.Similar to what many of you have given me.

This is the hunger that lacks in our nation today.A hunger that Ive had growing up in the trade that seems less and less with todays generation.

Sad?Maybe.Alot of you maybe competing with different ethnic groups.It is a constant.Accept it for what it is.As leaders in this trade we should incorporate the best qualified individuals,regardless of ethnicity.

As a native american carving my niche,this is where my journey has lead.Why do we speak english in america?Are the indians proud because of that?

Why do mexicans speak spanish?Proud?Spain is pretty far from Mexico.The spaniards conquered them.So why dont they speak aztec?Exactly.

2nd generation tile installer

Last edited by Kilauea; 01-26-2015 at 11:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-26-2015, 11:30 PM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

I'm very glad to hear things are going so well for you

Here's to the trend continuing.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Unread 01-27-2015, 12:00 AM   #3
Kilauea
LT

Yeah,I was worried for a while.He went back to Mexico beginning Dec and just returned.I hadnt talked to him all that time,and he just returned.

Ive got 3 guys local that work for me that cant show up on time.He drives an hour from Dallas every day and makes it.Hard to compar work ethic.This is the hunger that makes people exceed.Tilesetting is a commitment.When you have a chance to work in an elite setting,you have to take full advantage!

I have an uncle that has an employees for atleast 18 years.hes not white,hint hint.He told me that white boys are lazy.Ive always hated because I don t speak spanish.F that.Some of these boys are loyal and hungry.Ive changed my perspective.

Sorry for all the years of prejudice!

Unread 01-27-2015, 12:16 AM   #4
Kilauea
LT

I know this is a touchy subject for most.We compete with alot of aliens.Aliens meani8ng foreign to our surroundings.Im an alien to everyone where I live,rednecks,Latinos,Blacks,etc.

In HI we had setters from other islands,cali guys,japanese,and micronesian.Ive never let comp in TX bother me cause its nothing like in the islands.Ive always held my own here in east TX.This is probably why we have flourished here.Lack of qualified tradesmen.This is similar to what Brad is going thru.TX is a free for all.You have to establish a market where longevity,quality,craftsmanship,and communication trump price and speed.Price shouldnt be the bottom dollar.Not in an installation that should stand the test of time.

Builders,and homeowners appreciate the fact the installation will not only look good now,but also 10,15,20 years down the road.This is where the intracacies of communcation,detail,knowledge,and preparation differentiate ourselves from the next Joe Blow down the st.

As NTCA TX State Director,this is what Id like to share with other subs in my State.Yes,we are experincing a constant influx of tradesmen that are constantly bombarding our market.Thru proper education,we can not only differntiate ourseleves in our market,but excel our trade as a whole provide aan increasing profitable future.

Unread 01-27-2015, 12:31 AM   #5
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.T.
Sad?Maybe.Alot of you maybe competing with different ethnic groups.It is a constant.Accept it for what it is.As leaders in this trade we should incorporate the best qualified individuals,regardless of ethnicity.

As a native american carving my niche,this is where my journey has lead.Why do we speak english in america?Are the indians proud because of that?

Why do mexicans speak spanish?Proud?Spain is pretty far from Mexico.The spaniards conquered them.So why dont they speak aztec?Exactly.
It's not ok to say it like that. You don't need to make it a racial thing, it's just a good kid doing good work, and we're happy it's working out for you.
Instead of ranting about the poor kid's race, why don't we discuss your methods. You mentioned leveling systems. Have you found it's cost effective to have him use them very frequently, to get the better quality, or are you trying to teach him to go without them?
Unread 01-27-2015, 12:41 AM   #6
jwmezzanotte

Work ethic doesn't have much to do with race. I work pretty hard, and I've got a brother that works even harder at not working. We grew up in the same house.

I think a pretty large portion of North Americans are lazy. I don't think it has anything to do with race. We are just plain spoiled rotten. People that come from worse conditions have more drive than those that grew up well fed and warm from what I can see. doesn't make a difference about race.

Also glad it's working out for you, it's pretty tough to find a good fit. I wish I could say the same, I pass on enough work to keep a guy busy these days.
Unread 01-27-2015, 07:24 AM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
It has absolutely zero to do with race. It has to do with need, resolution/determination, talent, education and a few other less obvious qualities . . . good looks and wardrobe to begin with.
Attached Images

Unread 01-27-2015, 09:52 AM   #8
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

I dunno, John. Devastatingly handsome, yes, but dude kinda looks like a slacker to me.
Unread 01-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #9
Dave Gobis
da Man!

Yeah, I don't buy the race card either. I have had all different nationalities work for me over the years. Hard workers and lazy people come in all flavors.
Unread 01-27-2015, 06:34 PM   #10
Peerless Tile
Tile Contractor

That scarecrow almost looks like it's alive. Bet it does a great job though.

Have to agree with Dave and John...Tile trade or night club career...had some really good people and some really worthless folks in both, from all walks of life in all types of positions they were hired for.
Unread 01-27-2015, 07:21 PM   #11
Lump
Tile sales/installation central WI

Always have hired my team members and trained them to fit the way I need them to perform. Has it been a struggle...yes. At the current moment I have a the best team I have ever had along side me, that make me look good everyday.

Training/employing is a b*tch but as the team leader I listen, change, accept, bend and stay flexible with my teams professional and personal needs. At this point in time we have not subbed out a tile project in over 6/7 years.

Typically when I ask people what is most important in their line of work (besides pay) or what they wish for at their work place is flexibility from their boss.

Lose the word employee or subcontractor and start using team member and you will be surprised what you will get from your team. Also we and us are better words to use. Example: when you are on the phone with a client or speaking to one say something like "my team member joe will be here till 5 to button up your project"...make sure you team member hears you speak this way. I love hearing my team refer to themselves as a team member to a client rather than an employee or "I work for.....".

edit: also do not allow your team to call you boss have the refer to you as team leader.

Success is a ladder that cannot be climbed with your hands in your pocket.

NTCA Proud Member
ICRI certified moisture technician
Unread 01-27-2015, 08:52 PM   #12
Kilauea
LT

Yeah,not trying to sell anyone a race "card".Just being realistic with my geographic location.Your reality may not be my reality.What your surroundings are may differentiate than mine.

Where I "currently" reside there is definitely a racial divide.Thats not a good thing or a bad thing.It is just a reality thing.It is what it is.Ask Davy.Me and him frequent the same Daltile in Plano.Anyone who has ever had the joy of waiting and waiting in line at Dal can probably concur.I see the same thing every time I go in there.Mostly crews of mexicans,some crews of white and mixed,and then there is the occasional asian.

Im just saying that Im integrating a native Mexican who is a legal US citizen.This is the 1st time a Mexican native has set tile for me.Im saying that I am willing to integrate any race on my team.I have a black dude on my squad,too.So,yeah.It is all about race.That's one of the underlying themes in my thread.Not good,or bad.Just real.

Unread 01-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #13
digitalshooter

That guys overalls are way to clean, he must be the BOSS!
Unread 02-05-2015, 08:22 AM   #14
2MinutesHate
Adventurer/Patriot Extraordinaire

Some people here in South Dakota say the native americans are lazy because of the high unemployment on the reservations. We have 2 working for us, both work hard, but one of them works harder than I've ever seen. Endless fountain of energy and never complains. We'd like to clone him if possible.

Work ethic usually has more to do with your need to survive and your parents than the color of your skin in my opinion.
Unread 02-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #15
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

Ok, I can't take it any more. Carlo, you can't just blatantly repeat something hurtful when you don't have to, just so you can make a point that you are better. That's like me chiming in on a thread about bad work, where your name was never mentioned, and out of the blue saying: 'hey you know what else? Everybody around here says that Carlo guy is a complete hack! But I like him anyway because I'm such a great guy'. Your first sentence was hurtful and out of line, regardless of whether you just repeated it to make a point about how great you are.
LT, yes the racial divide is real, and it's mostly because of guys like you. Has anyone else had that older grandparent that says "I'm not prejudice, I just think... <insert something prejudiced here>". You still are totally clueless that almost every poster in this thread told you that race is NOT relevant at all to work ethic, yet you persist in saying race has a prominent place in a discussion about hiring setters. It doesn't! You can't tell anything about their work ethic, morals, honesty, integrity, hireability, etc. from just their race. If you post publicly on an internet forum that you think you can tell these things by race, good or bad, then you are hurting them with your prejudice. Stop. Race has no place in this thread.
Closed Thread

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase