Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
esgarbanzo

Window in shower solution

Hi all,
I've searched the archives and haven't really found a great answer to my specific problem/question, so thanks in advance for the help!

We are adding a shower to what was a 1/2 bath in the finished attic of a 1922 house. The plumbing is done. Against the exterior wall is a shower with sand mix presloped base and curb allowing about a 4' x 30" shower space. In the middle of the exterior wall is the old double-hung wood window. We decided early on to keep the window for light and cover it with a curtain since that is always recommended. It is also being repainted with marine-grade, oil-based gloss white. The trim will be replaced with tile to reduce wood in the shower.

My problem is this: in order to create a flat/flush surface to install Hardibacker on I cut the window casing back to be flush with the studs (this may have been a mistake). I ended up cutting back more than I thought I would and now there is no room for a stop for the lower sash. I think I have 2 options: 1. install CBU and use 1/2" tiles (or some really thin tile) on the edges as window stops - but I don't know if this is ever done... 2. Use furring strips to add a little more depth to wall and window casing to build a flush surface for a narrow wood stop and tile surround.

I think the walls are not perfectly flat so the furring may be necessary anyway, in which case I may have screwed up by cutting the window case back..

Thoughts?

Thanks again!
Unread 09-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
Richard Tunison
Retired Tile Contractor

Hi Jeremy and welcome.

A few pictures of the situation would be most helpful. You can use the paperclip icon in the post reply box to upload files from storage on your computer. If under 2Mb the forum will resize them to fit the format.
Unread 09-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Jeremy.

Along with the photos, perhaps you could clarify the terminology a bit. Sounds to me as though you've removed the casing and actually cut back the jambs of the window. Here's a drawing of the various components that might be helpful.

Name:  WindowApronL.jpg
Views: 9918
Size:  32.5 KB

Wood framed windows in a shower are not generally a good idea at all and changing yours out for a vinyl framed unit, preferably a fixed unit, might be the best solution.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2014, 04:02 PM   #4
esgarbanzo

You're right, CX. Thanks. The jambs are basically a wooden box around that hold the sashes. I cut the whole box back ~1" to bring the surface flush with the studs...

I will take some pictures this evening and post.

I know that wooden windows are not ideal, but I'd rather preserve the wood window and shield it with a curtain than put a fixed or vinyl in. I'm trying my best to protect the window and house... It is done successfully in some cases, including our downstairs bathroom that has a fully trimmed out wood window that works great. It is shielded with a curtain.

Thanks for your ideas.
Jeremy
Unread 09-22-2014, 10:48 PM   #5
esgarbanzo

Here are some pictures. It was hard to get the story across but hopefully these help. I ran a straight edge across the existing surfaces and they are nearly flat so furring strips would probably not be necessary unless I need to add depth.

Thanks for your time!
Unread 09-22-2014, 11:02 PM   #6
esgarbanzo

Oops, now with picks....
Attached Images

Unread 09-22-2014, 11:31 PM   #7
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

I think you know it now, but it woulda been easier to leave the jambs proud of the studs by the thickness of the tile backer board. At this point, you might consider something like a Corian, Azek or equal extension jamb, to get you back to where the surface applied waterproofing and tile can be sealed to the window.

Set the Corian extension jamb into some good caulking/sealant, then extend the waterproofing over it. Seal the corners well too. After you're finished grouting, seal again with color matched 100% silicone between tile and extension jamb.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2014, 06:12 PM   #8
esgarbanzo

Thanks, Dana.
I'm not familiar with extension jambs. Can you recommend a vendor?

Jeremy
Unread 09-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #9
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

We usually make them custom to what we need. I doubt you'll find any stocked on a shelf.....

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2014, 11:01 PM   #10
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

What Paul said. Go back to CX's sketch above - see the jamb? An extension jamb is just another piece of material that extends the width of the existing jamb. Since you're in a shower, get a piece of 5/8x or 1x Azek and rip it down to whatever width your existing jamb is.

page 5
http://www.azek.com/files/files/2014..._14%281%29.pdf

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2015, 06:22 PM   #11
esgarbanzo

Hi all,
I have a similar problem to the OP. My deck mud is completely cured as this project been months in the making. Unfortunately, I forgot to unscrew the drain to a proper height and now it would be far too low with our marble mosaic tiles...

Any tips for unscrewing at this point or am I better off just buying the extender kit? Extend-o-drain brand most likely....

I've tried the shower drain trick of open pliers and a metal bar for leverage. Even with quite a bit of force the drain didn't budge. I'd rather buy the extension than risk damaging something.

Thanks!
Unread 04-14-2015, 07:07 PM   #12
cx
Moderator emeritus

This the shower with the window you asked about earlier, Jeremy?

You may be able to chip some mud around the drain to loosen it up enough to thread it up a bit.

Unread 05-04-2015, 09:55 AM   #13
esgarbanzo

It is, CX. Thanks for asking. This project has moved incredibly slowly, but I think its being done right (except that I neglected to raise the drain before the shower pan was setup).

I'll try fishing a putty knife under the drain or something.

Cheers.
Unread 05-04-2015, 09:59 AM   #14
cx
Moderator emeritus

I've moved your recent posts here from the other visitor's old project thread, Jeremy. Best to keep all your project questions together so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. We can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

Unread 05-05-2015, 06:36 AM   #15
Platypus

If it's not too late, I'd like to suggest that you get rid of that window. It's right next to the shower head, and using a shower curtain is not going to prevent it from condensing steam on the glass, which will run down to... where? Knowing water, it's is going to go where it is least wanted: into the wall. This upstairs? Water in the wall... you get to ruin two rooms for the price of one.

Yes, I'm being a pessimist, but you are taking a big chance, especially if you think a mere curtain is going to keep moisture out of that. It absolutely will NOT.

At the barest minimum, you should replace the thing with something that is all vinyl or metal, and designed for the purpose (if such a thing exists). A fixed window is better suited, and maybe a glass block "window" might also be an option. But that wooden window is the worst possible option.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase