Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
dumbdave

New Construction Showers

I'm getting ready to start my house and was going to throw a few questions out there and see what you guys think.

1. What membrane should i go with.......Kerdi or Noble TS.

2.In the showers i will have benches, should i build them first before building my mud floor or vice versa.

3. For the shower floor should i just use kerdie or use kerdi ditra?

I downloaded the kerdi handbook and it is by far the best thing out there! I guess since i'm gonna use kerdi or Noble i will use drywall in the showers and hope my first time waterproofing will be just that......waterproof.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
Rd Tile
Tile Man

No Ditra in a shower, all Kerdi.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
silvercitytile

Send a message via MSN to silvercitytile
welcome ski.
1 both membranes are good.
2 doesn't matter if your useing a sheet membrane.
3 use the kerdi on the floor, or noble

Schluter Kerdi and Ditra installer in Southern New Mexico
Castillo Construction
silvercitytile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Easy one first, build the bench first.

Second, kerdi on the shower floor, ditra for the bathroom floor (not in shower)

Kerdi or Noble? What is accepted by your local building codes? Ask your local building dept. In my fair city, the code requires the thicker noble as the code was written for the typical vinyl liner, but we can use kerdi as I know my local plumbing inspectors and give them a heads up before we start.

I find kerdi easier to work with as it is a much thinner material. Either will work just fine.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:56 AM   #5
dumbdave

new construction shower

I am currently building my home and had a few ?. My inspector wanted me to install tyvek inside on all exterior walls in my showers so I did so it would pass inspection. now my ? is I am going to do kerdi showers so should I leave the tyvek on the wall and sheetrock over it then kerdi it or should i just take off the tyvek before sheetrock goes up?
Old 05-20-2010, 05:03 AM   #6
bbcamp

Tyvek house wrap is a wind infiltration barrier, not a vapor barrier. It may act as a vapor retarder, but if it was effective in that role, it wouldn't be on the outside of your house. If your drywall was already up, I wouldn't take it down to remove it. However, if the drywall isn't there, take the Tyvek down and get it out of your way.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:54 AM   #7
dumbdave

Few ?'s on new construction showers

I am in the process of starting off my master baths with dry pack floor and kerdi and had ? about the mixing valve rings that come with kerdi drain. My delta mixing valve size is alot smaller then the ring that came with the drain and did not know if i should use it. I'll take pics later this morning to show. Also looking for unmodified thinset at HD but really can't tell if it's modified or unmodified, asking them is like asking my 6 year old. anybody know what kind of unmodified they sell so I can use it for my kerdi install. Thanks
Old 07-20-2010, 06:23 AM   #8
bbcamp

You don't really need that Kerdi valve ring thingie. Cut your drywall/backerboard fairly tight to the plaster guard that comes with your mixing valve. Smear some Kerdi-fix or 100% silicone caulk over the cut edges, then apply the Kerdi-mat up to the cuts as usual. After you tile, install the valve's trim ring/plate and caulk all around, except for a small gap at the bottom.

HD does not sell an un-modified that is suitable (in our opinion) for installing either Kerdi or Ditra. They do sell Versabond, which is lightly modified. Many of our pros use it without hesitation to install Kerdi or Ditra on the walls/floors, and to install porcelain tile onto the membrane.

I merged all of your threads into this one. Please keep all your questions about this particular shower or bathroom in this thread. It helps us by keeping your project history in one spot. Thanks for your cooperation.

Last edited by bbcamp; 07-20-2010 at 06:44 AM.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
dumbdave

Ok here are some pics on what the shower looks like. Should I sheetrock the niche and on top of the half walls? I gonna try and start on the mudbed this weekend and could I use the drypack that I will be using for the floor to set the kerdi drain but just mix that batch a little wetter? Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
cx
Da Home Builder

Ski, you'd really do yourownself a large favor if you'll go the the Schluter website and download their Kerdi Shower instruction manual. I'd also recommend you purchase and download John Bridge's Kerdi shower eBook here on the site. Best ten-dollar Kerdi tool on the market.

Will help you avoid some errors that will make life easier for you. Like, you woulda known you really didn't want to have all those sheetrock joints taped and bedded in the shower area.

Yes, you wanna sheetrock the niche and the top of the walls if they are to receive Kerdi.

Yes, you can set your drain in some wetter deck mud. I recommend you toss in a little lime or some thinset mortar if you've got some around. Makes that part a little mooshier, to use the technical term, and easier to set the drain down into.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:47 PM   #11
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Ski,

I don't know if its in ol JB's book or not, but before you kerdi those walls, I'd primer them first with Zinser or Kilz. Thinset over drywall mud isn't ideal. Besides, you'll be primering the rest of the room anyway.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #12
Edthedawg
Wannabe Engineer Old-house-nik DIY'er :)

thinset over drywall mud is POOR. Definitely prime first w/ a good sealing primer. IDK if BIN is good enough for this - I'd go w/ a PVA like Behr's Gripper (if you're a HD shopper)

GO SOX!

Pleased to have helped design and build many of the residential projects featured here: http://www.tandtdev.com/portfolio.html
Edthedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:10 AM   #13
dumbdave

Thanks guys for your anwsers and suggestions. I told my sheetrock people to just hang in the shower and not to mud the seams in there but when I got home from work that is what I ended up with. Painters are coming in so I will prime with a good primer and hope for the best. Do you think since the seams have been mudded that I will have problems down the road, if so i will knock it all down and redo it all. I have JB'S kerdi handbook but this is my first time doing kerdi and just want to make sure everything is right!
Old 07-30-2010, 04:52 AM   #14
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

No it'll be fine.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #15
dumbdave

ok just left hd, can i set the drain with type s mortar. If not I will go to low*s in the am and see what they have

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase