Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-08-2003, 06:21 PM   #1
vicks

Question switching type of thinset on subsequent CBU panel

Hi all, I have some update photos I should send of my tub/shower project. It still needs to be grouted, but it turned out fine.

Okay, the topic at hand: I am in the middle of laying CBU's on my OSB bathroom subfloor, so I can tile it. So far, I have been using Master Blend thinset mix, modified with acrylic latex admix, then attaching with hardibacker screws. I have done 3/4 of the floor, but I ran out of Master Blend. I have one more panel of CBU to put down.

Should I drive 20 min to HD to buy some more Master Blend, or can I use the Versa Bond I already have here? If I can use the Versa Bond, should I mix it with water or latex?

Thanks!
vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-08-2003, 06:41 PM   #2
bbcamp

The thinset under the CBU is really for filling the minor voids between the floor and the CBU. No bond is required, therefore there is no need for modified thinset (latex). So, I guess this means "get back to work, no trip to HD for you!"
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2003, 07:13 PM   #3
vicks

Thanks!

Okay...back to work.
Unread 01-08-2003, 07:34 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
You better get those pictures in here, Victoria!

John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2003, 05:27 PM   #5
vicks

Hi John!

Okay, I'll send those photos

Just wondering...will the thinset + latex between the OSB subfloor and the hardibacker help keep water away from the OSB when my two boys flood the bathroom floor?
Unread 01-09-2003, 06:43 PM   #6
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

It won't keep the water away, but your necessity for concern is dependent on whether it's really OSB, or particle board. If it's particle board, then you might consider putting a waterfroofing membrane over the CBU. If it's OSB, their big claim to fame is that in testing they were submerged in water with no ill effects, and although I wouldn't want to put them to that extreme a test, I wouldn't worry about it, either.
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2003, 07:35 PM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

I got your pictures, Vic. Looks like a shower!
Attached Images

Unread 01-09-2003, 07:38 PM   #8
John Bridge
Mudmeister

And here's the current state of affairs. I think it's going to be a wonderful shower. I do like the style.
Attached Images

Unread 01-09-2003, 08:03 PM   #9
vicks

Thanks! I am quite pleased, as a matter of fact. And after grout, drywall, more quarter-round trim, and fixtures(!) it'll be much nicer. I just got a toilet (as I was typing, the UPS guy dropped it off) and I have just discovered it is an identical color match to the trim tile! I am so happy, cause with white everything, I wanted the toilet & pedestal sink to provide a little contrast.

Yes, my subfloor is OSB (oriented strand board, the real McCoy) and the guy at the Tile Council of America (after reading it in the HD tile book-go figure) told me that OSB is not good under wet areas & to thinset some 1/2" backer board over it before tiling. What kind of membrane could I put over the CBU and under the tile? Anything that is available at HD?

My boys are really wild in the bathtub and do flood the floor!

Thanks for all this great advice!
Unread 01-09-2003, 08:28 PM   #10
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Victoria,

There are all types of waterproofing membranes, some brushed or rolled on and others that are a fabric or mat. I think one of the best ideas is Schluter Ditra. It not only will waterproof the floor, but it will enhance the mechanics of your tile installation as well.

And it's user-friendly. Say hi to Missy. Missy is the national accounts manager for Schluter Systems.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase