Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
slcorrigan

Why would grout dry two colors?

I recently had a ceramic tile backsplash installed in my kitchen and decided to go with a grey unsanded grout. When it dried, it dried two different colors! While some areas had grey grout, others on the same wall dried leaning towards a black color. It actually looked like some of it was still wet in areas. This was still like that two weeks later though! We decided to re-grout the area and went with black this time thinking it would cover easier. We even used a different brand this time and yet again, it dried - some grey and some black. What is happening??
Unread 08-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
dbitton
Professional Stoner

Sounds strange to me... Are you mixing the grout dry before adding water?
Unread 08-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
slcorrigan

I am not doing the work myself but have an experienced tiler who is so assume he is mixing it first. He did the floor previously and it looks great.
Unread 08-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
dbitton
Professional Stoner

If it's black grout drying grey then it's probably efflorescence. Does it brush off of the black grout? have you tried to scrape it a little?

If it's grey grout drying black then I'm not sure, but efflorescence is caused by the grout setting with too much water on it, or mixed too wet.
Unread 08-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Unfortunately, grout, when done up in seperate batches can sometimes give varying results. Usually it's a function of the amount of water used, how wet it got in the cleaning process and even the quality of the water. Do they have well water, for instance? When in doubt, I'll buy distilled water for the mix. Many of the homes I do have well water with a high sulpher count.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

Last edited by Lazarus; 08-10-2009 at 03:16 PM. Reason: (lousy typing error...)
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
slcorrigan

Re: grout drying two colors

I think perhaps some are misunderstanding me - this is not two different colors on parts of the wall as a result of two batches of grout being mixed - this problem is around the subway tiles themselves..individually!
Unread 08-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
Muddman
Potter, Contractor, Philosopher

Sounds like efflorescence to me. You need to clean the grout with a mild acid solution to remove it. It is caused by minerals in the water and/or grout settling on the surface as it dries. You can get grout cleaner at the store, start with a weaker one, then if that doesn't work, move to a stronger one.

www.muddmandesign.com
Muddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Sam.

How 'bout you post us some pichers of what you're seeing. We like pichers.

Have you tried scratching the surface of both color areas to see if the surface color extends deep into the grout or is just on or near the surface?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #9
slcorrigan

Re: grout drying two colors

I tried scraping as suggested. When I scrapped the black portion, it took little effort and I found grey underneath. When I scrapped the grey portion, it too was grey underneath.

Being new to the forum, I was unaware I could attach a picture but will attempt to do so now. This is from the first attempt when the grey was the color of choice but it really doesn't look much different now since re-doing it with black.
Attached Images

Unread 08-12-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
ob1kanobee

It is possible that when he is mixing the grout he is not allowing it to slake then remix (follow instructions on the bag for mixing).

It is also possible too much water is being used in the clean-up process.

I have seen this also when too much or too little water is used to mix the grout.

The other tilework he did looks good so it doesn't strike me that you have a water problem.

Sometimes when it is a backsplash the guys mix grout by hand and don't mix it good enough is another thing.

At this point, I would consider just staining the grout with a grout stain.

One other thing, is the grout sanded or unsanded? It looks unsanded but still hard to tell..................I have seen sanded grout dry like that in small joints such as your tile, especially grey grout or dark grey grout.

Rule number one in life: You go with what you got, imperfections and all.
ob1kanobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I would look at the edges of a left over piece of tile. Sometimes the edges have glaze on them, other edges not. This can cause the grout to dry out faster in some areas than others.

I would rub a grout joint lightly with fine steelwool but not hard enough to scratch the tile. Pinch a small piece of steelwool between your fingers and rub the grout.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 07:40 AM   #12
slcorrigan

It is unsanded grout.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I am going to take all your suggestions to my tiler and we will have to come up with a plan as it is definately not to my liking right now.
Unread 08-14-2009, 06:28 AM   #13
cadman8263

An interesting problem, what about trying an enhancer on the grout, in an area say behind the toilet to see if it darkens the grout uniformly?

Chuck
cadman8263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2009, 07:58 AM   #14
slcorrigan

Re : Chuck's suggestion

Just to clarify Chuck, this is my kitchen so no toilet but I could certainly try it behind the fridge. First tell me what an enhancer is though please??
Unread 08-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #15
ob1kanobee

The results I have had with enhancer and grout is that the grout has to be uniform to begin with.

If you have very dark grout you will have very very dark grout after enhancer. If you have dark grout you will have darker grout after. Sometimes enhancer won't do anything for the grout. For instance, I have tried to make almond grout more of a tan before and it would't work yet it had worked before. Why, I don't know?

So based on the above it may work, it may not, it could still be blotchy only darker where it is already dark and just plain dark in some spots and some spots it might not do anything.

Just keep in mind that if you decide to take the risk and enhance it and it doesn't work, you are going to have to remove the grout and start over instead of just color sealing it now or "grout Staining" as the enhancer will either have to be chemically removed (have fun with that) or removed with a razor knife. As it sits now, you could just grout stain it and be done with it.

In answer to your question as to what is enhancer, it is a product that brings out the natural characteristics in stone sometimes if not usually darkening it. Some enhancers also function as sealers too.

http://www.aquamix.com/products/pg_d...830&pgid=37155

I would also be a little concerned what the enhancer could do to your tile. It might not do anything, so if you go that route, test a piece that you have not installed yet just to be safe.

One thing we always did was wet the grout or the tile with a fairly damp sponge to give us an indication of what enhancer may do. It is the best indicator I have found so far without unwanted consequences.

Rule number one in life: You go with what you got, imperfections and all.
ob1kanobee is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase