Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
Kimbaloo

Fixing an imperfect mud bed, after the fact

Five years ago, the spouse and I tiled our bathroom floor, heeding the advice of my general contractor FIL to pour an old-school mud bed (tar paper, lathe, mud, screed, etc.), rather than using cement backer. For rank amateurs, we did OK, although after the tile install we did notice a slight slope toward the baseboard/quarter-round, adjacent to the tub. Ugh. Predictably, water pools right at the baseboard in this spot, and the paint has started to flake, the finish nails have rusted, and...well, I know this needs to be fixed.

I'd love to atone for this by ripping out the baseboard and installing cove tile instead, leveling the mud bed below in the process. Is it as crude/simple as chiseling out the floor tiles where they meet the wall, putting in more mud, and laying the new cove tiles? Just wondering if I'm missing something obvious. Many thanks.
Unread 08-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Hi Anne and welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne
Is it as crude/simple as chiseling out the floor tiles where they meet the wall, putting in more mud, and laying the new cove tiles?
Maybe. I'd first want to verify that leaking water isn't causing problems or that the tub hasn't settled for some reason.

If it's just a tile issue, and if the 'slight slope' is small, say 1/4" or less, you could remove the tile and build up with some thinset. After it cures, lay some new floor tiles and cove base as normal. I'd want to remove enough tile to get a smooth transition rather than a sharp slope at the wall/tub. If the 'slight slope' is bigger than 1/4" you could build up in layers of 1/4" or less, allowing each layer to cure before building up with additional layers.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
Kimbaloo

Ya, I investigated and it is a tile problem. Thanks for helping me visualize the task! Sounds like rip-roaring weekend fun.
Unread 08-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Yea, sounds like you've got the idea. Don't forget the PPE when chipping out the tile; safety glasses, ear plugs, etc.....

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase