Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-20-2008, 12:57 PM   #1
Vales

Unhappy Deck Mud issues/ Tile Wall ?

I have read and read watched and never posted just looked through all the posts as most here are very helpful with great advice on how to accomplish about anything. My husband and myself totally tore out out masterbath and re-did the entire shower and the room, short version here as I will try to put up a few pic's if that is allowed or send a link to them. The shower we used hardibacker, redgard, tiled the walls. The floor we used plywood, tarpaper, screen then deckmud. Then the pan then our next round of deck mud sloaped to the drain as you see looks great, but.... I could not see so well and after I got it all leveled and set the next morning I noticed that I was short the entire distance around the shower like 1/4 " now I pushed the mud into and against the tile on the walls.
I'm worried I have messed this up as my deck does not come even with my tiles? Do I just thinset it or should I silicon it if Im worried? or can I mix some additional mud and add a small round of mud around the outter band of the shower..... help please as I now feel for the first time totally lost ans feel like I have messed this up **cries** my husband says no matter it is fine and can be sealed before the thinset and floor tile and that actually with the floortile and thinset will probably be fine. advise from you all will be great? Below are my Pic's any help would be greatly appreciated.

Valerie ~~ in North Carolina and thanks in advance as you all have already helped just by posts I have read in the past to get where we are now!!
Attached Images

Vales is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-20-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

your going to have a hard time setting your floor tile with the lip around the perimeter of your mud floor.

Quote:
or can I mix some additional mud and add a small round of mud around the outter band of the shower...
I would get some thinset and float off the bottom of the tile to take away the lip and make flat sloping outward to the drain.

you should have also taped the bottom of your wall tile off so you wouldn't have all that mud stuck on your tile and in the grout joints.

and to be honest the texture of your mud looks like
you made it wet like cement when installing it..... ?

Tampa Florida Tile Installation
^^Check out our Blog^^
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

Brian it does look like it was mixed wet unless they dipped the flat trowel in water and shined the top of the mud and made it really solid. It looks like its been curing for a couple weeks too.

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
Vales

Unhappy Deck/Mud

it was dry, I did make it very smooth after it was down with a float just me. and it has been cured for almost 2 weeks, my husband broke his shoulder so things kinsa halted. so that is the color it has turned in time. and it is not a lip it is a gap I did not make the outter edge thick enough? so not a lip. Also the cemet does wash off the tile with a sponge.

Vales
Attached Images

Last edited by Vales; 09-20-2008 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Add additional photo's
Unread 09-20-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
ceramictec

you will still need to do the method shown above to get up
higher so you can set the tile and not see the horizontal mud.

^^Check out our Blog^^
Unread 09-20-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

yah i would hit it with thinset and let it dry and then tile it the next day you should be fine.

We have wooden floats we use to carve mud and cut at it so we dont dig out and leave valleys. When i float i switch between my trowel and my cedar block all the time.

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2008, 06:23 PM   #7
ceramictec

Like these ?

^^Check out our Blog^^
Unread 09-20-2008, 06:33 PM   #8
Vales

Red face DeckMud Issues

Thanks for the help. so I shall just use the same thinset I used on walls which is modified thinset mixed to peanut butter. I used it on walls and worked great. I will let it dry then start my floor the next day. I was worried about the long wait imbetween working with the floor. I hope that the cure time is ok and that is is fine it has sat for a few weeks. I still have the floor to tile after the shower floor and the curb. then we are well on our way. Again thanks to you all for the help.

hehe I used those to make it all smooth and nice =)

Vales

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase