Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-11-2008, 06:06 AM   #1
blel

Thinset mixing

What should the consistency of modified thinset be before it sits? I mixed up a batch to bond some Durock together and it seemed a little soupy but the "ridges" from the 1/4" trowel did stand up. Just wondering how stiff/soupy it should be.
Thanks
Bill
blel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-11-2008, 07:36 AM   #2
nforcer2

I would not get in to the habit of mixing to a consistancy. You should begin by pre measuring the amount of water indicated on the bag. After placing that water (I recommend holding out a small amount of water until all the powder is in) in a bucket add in about half the powder and mix that until it is well blended. This helps ensure that you don't get your mix too clumpy from the polymers in the thin-set soaking in all the water. Add in the remainder of the powder and any water that was withheld until everything is well blended and there are no signs of powder or chunks in the mix. Allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes and then remix. This will ensure a proper mix and eliminate any errors or weakening of the product from too much water.
nforcer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2008, 07:53 AM   #3
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
Great advice for a pro Robert, but us DIY'ers are kinda slow and tend to mix up very small batches.

Instructions like this:
Quote:
Use approximately 1.5—1.75 gallons (5.7—6.6 l) of water for 50 lbs (22.7 kg) of powder.
don't help us much, unless we want to break out the scales.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2008, 08:14 AM   #4
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

A lot of DIYers don't even have tools big enough to mix a full bag.

Still, it's difficult to convey in a forum post what properly mixed thinset looks and feels like. So, to Roberts point with a suggestion from Dave, I say get the scales out and do mix at least one batch in the proportions indicated on the bag. Follow the directions. This should give you first-hand knowledge of properly mixed thinset.

You might be able to wing it after that, but don't ignore the slake time.
Unread 09-11-2008, 09:08 AM   #5
Jaz
Michigan Tile Pro

I have yet to mix a entire 5o lbs at once. I'm sure I never will. I like to work out of a 3.5 gal container if possible. That size bucket is perfect for me and you can mix about 30-35 lbs at most. Works every time, 3 batches = 2 bags.

Those of use that do it all the time learn by eye how much water to pour in the bucket to start with. Newbies, should simply do a little math. I haven't noticed very many tile setters with measuring cups and scales around here.

Jaz
Jaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
blel

Thanks. I will probably never mix a full bag. When I mixed to bond Durock together I used 1/2 amount of water and approx 1/2 of bag of thinset. The result seemed a little "soupy" before the slake but not so much after.
Bill
blel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #7
scuttlebuttrp
Tile Contractor -- Jacksonville, FL.

Quote:
I haven't noticed very many tile setters with measuring cups and scales around here.
I have a big 4.5 cup measuring cup made of plastic. Use it all the time for mixing the newer fancy stuff that's really sensitive like TEC's XT grout. I've also been eyeballing the old scale at my house. Just have to snag it when the wife ain't looking.
Unread 09-11-2008, 07:53 PM   #8
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

Ill go find an iced tea contained out of my truck i usually have a 1/2 gallon one all the time, i know on a commercial job they brought in mapei ultralight and no one ever used it before and i measured out all the water and it was stiff but you could but an 18 x 18 on a wall and it wasnt saggin. Also when we go slc i measure the water out.

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 12:20 AM   #9
sandbagger

also pay attention to the type of mixing paddle, mixing speed, mix time, and all that. "When all else fails, try following instructions." This is especially true with the new "high tech" pookey on the market. There are several discussions here somewhere on the subject, do a search.

Try these two for starters

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...t=ribbon+mixer

http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/show...=mixing+paddle

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #10
tcseacliff

thinset mixing

I am doing my first thinset mixing ever. i am getting a feel for what needs to be done reading these forums. I have a 36 sq.ft. counter to deal with and 24 linear feet of bullnose to do. was planning to do the field tiles first,then the edges. I am now getting worried about the batch size. the bag is 50lbs. what do I do if I am not planning to do the entire job in one day? I am not sure how to figure how to divide the bag of thinset up to do the filed tiles one day then the edges? and what is slake? I am goint to use ditra. will I need mor than a 50 bag for the job? sorru about all these newb questions!
Unread 09-18-2008, 10:33 PM   #11
cx
Moderator emeritus

Chappy, it'd really help a lot if you'd keep all your project questions on a single project thread so's folks could see what you're working on and be better able to help you with your questions.

I'd suggest you copy and past that question over on your most recent countertop thread and I'll go see can I find your older thread on that project and get'em all put together, eh?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2008, 07:43 AM   #12
tcseacliff

CX,
I'm sorry. I had a thinset question also ,so i put it in with the other guys thinset question even though it was right after my layout question. I just wanted to put my posts in with similar topics. i will try to get this right.
Unread 09-19-2008, 07:46 AM   #13
cx
Moderator emeritus

Yeah, that seems to make sense, Chappy, and I know it's done on a lotta other forums, but here where we have whole construction projects going on much of the time and a lotta helpful people watching them, we find it helpful to have all the information in one place.

It also gets confusing when there are answers being given to different people on different projects on a single thread and we do try to keep folks from picking up the wrong response to their particular problem. Subtle differences are sometimes important in the answers given.

Works for us.

Unread 09-19-2008, 07:54 AM   #14
tcseacliff

CX< thanks for the info i will keeps my posts together. I just thought if I asked a thinset question ,it would be moved to the thinset thread,so i thought i would save you the trouble. sorry, now ,how do you move these threads? I wanted to put my thinset question by my project questions.?
Unread 09-19-2008, 08:15 AM   #15
cx
Moderator emeritus

Just copy the text and past it into a post on your thread, Chappy. Only moderators can move things about on here and picking one post out of a thread and moving it to another is much more work than just duplicating it there.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase