Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-10-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
supernatural

14" rail saw Vs 14"radial arm saw

Hello all.I am presently looking into a 14" saw to cut bigger stone than i am able to with my 10"imer rail saw.I have recently bean toying with slabing up rock from whatever natural environment i am able to.Dont want a rocksaw , although that would solve some dificultys will not be as versitile as i would like.imer makes a imer combi 1000 (14"-38"travel 110 volt now available)around 3,000 new.It is apealing.Felker has a 14" -51" travel,will also use to cut up scrap countertop slab.Can anyone attest to the reliability ,acuracy of either saw.I have bean wondering if anyone has ever used a radial arm saw ( normally for woodworking)for stone cutting.Of cource you would need to insulate the saw for short circuits.Seems as natural as can be.(if its so easy why hasent anyone mentioned it as far as i can tell) any imput will be accepted as i am sure their will be yay and nay sayers . Thanks Chris]
supernatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-10-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
gardner

random unfounded opinion

I bet a radial arm saw that would turn a 14-inch blade would not be a cheap piece of kit. And the minute you put a diamond wheel in it and start spraying water around the warranty is gone.

Sticking a diamond wheel in a wood saw is a totally reasonable thing to do, so long as the saw is "expendable". You score an old skilsaw for $10 from a garage sale or pick up a 10-inch radial arm saw for $75 from e-bay -- sure, go wild. But buying a fancy cabinet-making instrument and then using it this way? Feels wrong to me.
Unread 12-10-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
gueuzeman

Naysayer here. Not that it isn't a good idea. But the design of the tool (even if you were to solve the water feed and GFCI issues) doesn't allow for the escape/washing away of the slop/ cut stone material. Not made to be cleaned of sticky slop.

We'el get Steve in here tomorrow to sell you a Raimondi rail saw, or perhaps a trolley type. Click here- Midwest Trade Tools

gueuze
gueuzeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
gueuzeman

Oh, and if you do take Gardener's suggestion, please PM mne your personal info so I can take out a life insurance policy on you.

gueuze
gueuzeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
Paulie Walnuts

Zipper Saws

http://www.raimondiusa.com/zip_105_ors_2008.html

Aluminum, Plastic water pan, Plunge, Miter, 2.2hp, 12" or 14" Blades.

Paulie
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase