Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-07-2007, 09:07 AM   #1
TedKansas

Question Shower Floor Mess? Help

Hi, I have been here reading and using everyone’s knowledge to build my shower for the last few months. Respect goes out to the ones that do this as a trade. It has been hard long tedious work. I used the Kerdi method. The shower is a large one, built corner bench, two niches, has two shower heads and sized for two. Walk around corner to enter. Everything is done except the floor. (Tile, Grout, Fixtures). Here is were I hit my wall. Yesterday, I put down plastic & metal lath. Installed Kerdi drain. Mixed up 5 bags of sand and 50# of portland cement and got it damp like beach sand. Packed it under the drain flange (was worried about any gaps there). I had installed small screed boards level along the walls to help with the ¼ slope. My first error was when I packed the drain flange I did it a little too aggressively. (it raised it a ¼ or more of a inch). So the sloping is off some. Then, as I was working my way out of the shower I ran out of mud (was about one bag short of sand) and what I had left was getting stiffer. Got very frustrated. So here I am on Saturday morning with this mess of a shower floor. What can I do?

Can I save this Kerdi drain installation?
It is in a second floor master bath with no access. I did the drain pluming when I had the floor up.

Can I put mud on top of mud?
Where I ran short.

I am afraid, I will have to hammer out the floor, cut out the lathe and plastic. But what worries me most is the Kerdi drain.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ted in Kansas City
TedKansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-07-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I think you're okay, Tedd, you can always trowel a little wet thinset onto the mud first then use your drypack over it, a little wetter this time to attach it to the previous mud.I'm not in tune with your drain situation though,but if the drain will still have pitch, and is secure you're fine, you can always build up your floor the way i mentioned to compensate for lack of pitch.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
Star
Pete

I know how you feel dude, I kinda messed up mine too, it'll be a lot easier the second time around (your mother-in-law's bath?)

Don't be too freaked-out, it ain't rocket science, follow Dave's advice and you'll be fine. When you get it all tiled up and grouted (epoxy), take a shower and relax, it's gonna work fine whatever you do!

_ pete
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
TedKansas

Dave & Pete, Thanks for the replies. Just did not want to have to take up the floor. The concern for the Kerdi drain, was if I had to take up the floor, I would damage it and would have to replumb it and have to get another one since it was glued in and would have to be cut out.
TedKansas is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase