Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-26-2006, 11:40 PM   #1
john2777

Any economical diverter valves? And other questions...

I would like to add a handheld to the shower but would like to use a diverter valve, or something. I have been looking around, but can hardly find anything under $150 for a rough-in and valve handle (brushed nickel). I would love to do this for $50-$75. I'm OK with a 1/2" valve.

Also, I have had difficulty finding correct valve/shower componets. Being is a small city I have to drive 30 miles just to find a Lowes, HD, or Menards. So, I ended up buying a shower set with the diverter on the tub spout. I know this is not the best situation. You can see it here: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...K00&lpage=none I am planning on routing the flow from the tub to the main shower and use a diverter for the handheld. But I have also wondered if I could just use a shut-off on the main shower (tub spout), which would then force the water out the top of the valve, which was meant for the shower. I guess I am thinking a shut-off would be cheaper than a diverter and would accomplish the same result. Or would it? But I can't find an economical shut-off either.

I noticed that Danco has a nice brushed nickel shower handle for $30-$40. Actually, this would do quite nicely: http://doitbest.com/DoItBest/Main.as...associate=true Could this be matched to a diverter or shutoff valve? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
john2777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-26-2006, 11:49 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi John,

Are you making this overly complicated....or am I reading too simplistically?
Would a shower arm diverter do the trick for you? The one pictured can be had at an Ace Hardware store for about $20 and screws directly to the end of your shower arm. The bottom fitting goes to the shower head, and the left fitting goes off to a hand-held wand.
Attached Images

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2006, 11:50 PM   #3
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

I'm a little unclear on your current set-up. Do you already have a working shower head? If you are looking to save money, you can get a diverter valve that attaches between the shower head and the pipe that the shower head is connected to. I bought a plastic one for a few bucks. I didn't expect it to work, but was willing to gamble that it might. So far, it has worked. With the push of a button, I can choose the regular shower head, or the hand held (which I use mainly for cleaning the shower).
Unread 12-26-2006, 11:51 PM   #4
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

You beat me to it, Bubba - and provided a nice picture.
Unread 12-26-2006, 11:52 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg

Like Jimmy John's.....so fast you'll freak!!!

Unread 12-27-2006, 12:18 AM   #6
john2777

Tool Guy and Dan,

I am actually trying to avoid that "screw on" type of diverter. I looked one over and it seems that it has about a 1/4" opening inside. So, it seems to me, that it would diminish the flow to the handheld, as well as to my regular shower, since everything would have to flow through the valve. And, I would like to have a bit nicer look to my shower.

This is actually a new shower install, or rather, a bathroom total remodel. I have just finished the tile floor in the bathroom. I posted a picture of it in the other thread " 1/16" inch grout lines". I bought a shower base and will soon tile the walls, as soon as I do the plumbing.

But as I think about it... I could probably make it work. If I "corked" one of the outlets on the "screw on" diverter, then it would in effect become a shutoff. And if it was shutoff, then water would automatically flow through the top of the main shower valve. So, water flow through the top of the main shower valve would not be diminished much. This might be doable.

I was kinda hoping somebody would know about a 1/2" diverter valve and handle for $60, or less. I figure if I am spending $130 for the full shower plumbing/hardware, I don't want to spend $150 to turn the handheld on and off.
Unread 12-27-2006, 12:21 AM   #7
Tool Guy - Kg

That little opening lets a whole lotta water through inna hurry. It's the best option if budget is a concern.

Last edited by Tool Guy - Kg; 12-27-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Unread 12-27-2006, 12:24 AM   #8
jdm

I'm confused. Do you want to use the diverter to select between the tub spout (which has an integral diverter) and the showerhead, or between the showerhead and a handheld shower?

And are you planning on attaching the handheld to a wall union (outlet) or to the shower arm?

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2006, 12:43 AM   #9
john2777

Tool Guy, yes, I am in a budget mode for this part of the project.

Jeff, if you are a bit confused don't feel bad. I am too! I want to switch between a shower and a handheld. But, I have bought hardware for a tub/shower combo. So, I want to come up with some innovative and non-destructive way to make this work... economically. I would like to plumb a special out for the handheld and not just screw a diverter on to the shower head.

So, lets say that I hooked up the handheld to where the tub out would normally go... and then hook up the shower to the regular shower out on the main valve. Then, if I shut off the handheld, water would automatically be diverted to the shower and should have very good flow.

But if I could find an economical true 1/2" diverter valve, then I would use it to route the shower water between the handheld and the normal shower. I hope I made this a little more clear.
Unread 12-27-2006, 01:10 AM   #10
Husker

I shopped and shopped for a diverter, and also wanted one with brushed nickel trim... finally found the best value for what I was doing, made by Delco, you can get it with or without body sprays, it' 1/2". Has an "A/B/Y" valve (shower, or handheld, or both). I think it's called the moentral valve, or something like that. I can look up the exact model if you have trouble finding it. It came with the entire rough-in valve plus the brushed nickel trim - I don't remember exactly what I paid but do recall that it was a good value compared to most out there, maybe $150 for all? Good luck, hope this helps!

Mark
Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2006, 01:12 AM   #11
jdm

Ah, so there's no tub, eh?

Some manufacturers (Danze is one) make tub/shower valves with a small second lever below the main handle which pivots left and right to divert between shower and tub. I believe that one of these would work for your application. These diverters also keep their setting even when the water is shut off (other types switch back to the tub spout.) Danze valves are reasonably priced, and they make most of the house Pegasus brand shower controls for Home Despot. However, many of the Pegasus controls were recently changed to put the diverter on the tub spout, probably because that arrangement is less expensive.

Here's a link to one online source that seems to have good prices. I would call Danze (1-888-328-2383) to verify that the valve will do what you want before buying.

Go Rutgers!
Unread 12-27-2006, 01:37 AM   #12
jdm

Here's the Moentrol valve with diverter mentioned above. It comes with several different trims. Since this is the Moen site, the prices are list. You should be able to find them online for less.

Go Rutgers!
Unread 12-27-2006, 11:23 AM   #13
john2777

Thanks, Jeff

The Danze valve may be a better solution that what I have come up with. It should be great for the guest bathroom. The Moen valve may be possible for the master bath where I could spend a little more. I like the fact that the Moen valve controls both pressure and also diverts. One seems to be getting quite a bit more.

Well, I have become less hopeful on finding anything much cheaper. Thanks all for the help.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase