Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-15-2022, 10:51 PM   #1
cmilot6329

Countertop fabricators in or near Phoenix/Mesa AZ?

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this or even if this is a good forum as it's not tile but I'm looking to see if anyone has any recommendation on a countertop fabricator in the Phx/Mesa AZ area? Tearing out our old tiled countertop and wanting to put in Quartz.

I've had one company come out so far and this was their quote:

Area #1
110.3 sq ft - 2 Slabs Customer Provided (Custom Color)
77.7 sq ft Countertop
77.7 sq ft Fabrication $2,720.00
41.3 lin ft Finished Edge - Eased
7 lin ft Appliance Edge
1 - 32.25" Undermount Sink Cutout
Tile Removal $550.00
Total: $3,270.00

I would probably do the tile removal myself to save on the $500 and to have some time to lower the sink drain while the countertop is out. So looking at 2720 for the labor and would still need to buy 2 slabs. Does this sound reasonable? I want to get a few more quotes if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks!
Unread 01-15-2022, 11:13 PM   #2
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

Chris, I can tell you my Quartz countertop story, it may vary where you live.

When wanting to do new countertops, we visited our local tile shop where I have purchased many things. I found that what I would pay for in a new countertop is whole slabs, regardless of what the actual square footage was.

I found the same quartz material (Silestone) at Home Depot and found that they actually price by square foot, This is because they contract with large countertop fabrication companies who will use the remnants on another job.

I had good luck with the large company who was the current HD contractor - great install job. I did have an issue down the road that took a while to resolve but HD took care of it and replaced the entire countertop with little persuasion. Who you need to know is the manager in the HD countertop department, once I found her, it was easy.

But bottom line, find out who is your local HD contractor and check them out before you go with HD. As far as price, WAY cheaper than anyone else for the exact same material. And they are basically installing plywood on your bare cabinets and gluing down Quartz - so it is either right or not.

My experience, YMMV.
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2022, 01:19 PM   #3
dremgt

Where I live we have a dealer who sells what he calls "prefab" countertops. They are already counter depth and edge finished, so he just cuts them to length for you. A lot less waste than working from full slabs. The downside is that you don't have as many color selections than a slab yard. He offers three different edge profiles. Don't know if there is a fabricator in your area who has those, but it is something to check out.
dremgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2022, 09:26 PM   #4
cmilot6329

Thanks for the advice! Got an estimate with HD and their quote was closer to 7000 for the cheapest quartz which is out of my price range. Was hoping to get it done between 3 and 4 grand for the material and install/fabrication. I'll get a few more estimates
Unread 01-18-2022, 09:53 AM   #5
Nicpaus

That price is not bad. The tear out is low in my opinion. We do the quartz install in house. If you were in SoCal we could give you a bid.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase