Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-13-2022, 10:49 PM   #1
evildrz

Ceiling or walls first

After a rather extended prep period, I am nearly ready to tile a tub/shower. This is an alcove tub and the three walls and ceiling need to be tiled. Question is, should I do the walls or the ceiling first? A guy who did one of my other bathrooms did the ceiling first and he said that helps hold it up. Several videos online show the walls going in first. In the grand scale of thing, I have a feeling it really doesn't matter (provided everything is installed properly. However, I am wondering if there is a general consensus out there. Additional question - Is there a recommended thinset to use? These are 12 x 24 tiles. I have access to Mapei and Laticrete products. Thanks.
Unread 04-13-2022, 11:15 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

If you happen to have square tiles and you want all the wall to ceiling grout joints to sling very accurately:
Working on the ceiling is tougher than the wall. For that reason, I’d rather do the ceiling first. This allows you to be a little imprecise on your perimeter cuts because they will be covered by the thickness of the wall tiles. However, the wall tiles are hard to install from the top of the wall (where you can place them dead accurate to the ceiling grout joints) downward. It’s much easier to stack tiles from the bottom up. However, starting at the bottom puts the thumbscrews on you to be dead accurate on placing every wall tile so that they all align to all the ceiling grout joints. So…

…to get the best of all methods, I like to install all the wall tiles, except for the top row…then ceiling…and finally the top row on the walls.

For your 12” x 24” tiles, you probably aren’t lining up grout joints. If so, I’d do the ceiling first, then stack the wall tiles.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2022, 04:43 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

This seems like an ideal use of Schluter's Dilex-EKE. It will allow you to hide one edge in the profile while the other is butted up against it, and takes the place of the caulk joint you'd need for the change of plane. THey come in various colors and thicknesses to handle a wide variety of tiles. THey also have a cove-shaped one if that would work out better, and it can be had in stainless steel, too, and there are others as well.
https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us...E?facets=false
Attached Images

Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.

Last edited by jadnashua; 04-14-2022 at 05:45 PM.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2022, 05:06 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I do it like Bubba. I tile the walls except for the top row. Tile the ceiling and then the last row of wall tiles.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase