Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-07-2022, 05:13 PM   #1
worldknown

Best grout?

What grout are you guys all using today? What’s the best out there?
Unread 01-07-2022, 05:29 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

That's a loaded question.

There are various types of grout, and numerous situations from say a countertop, to a dry wall, to a garage floor, to a shower where you might want one type or another.

Then, there's ease of installation, features (some of the epoxy grouts can be had in day glo and mettalic flake if that floats your boat). Some are resistant to mold, and some just will rapidly fail when using certain cleaning materials (a big thing in say a commercial kitchen).
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2022, 05:32 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

You have a particular application in mind, Mike?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2022, 05:41 PM   #4
worldknown

Yes! Going in a shower pan and bathroom floor.
Unread 01-07-2022, 06:06 PM   #5
lochrie22

We have been using a lot of ARDEX FL with great results
Unread 01-07-2022, 06:08 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

The more information we have, the better we are able to give good advice.

For shower floors I recommend a cementitious grout, but some other folks tend prefer different types.

I would say the same for the bathroom floor in general, but could be swayed there.

As Jim pointed out, there are different types of grouts available today and many, many different brands. Best? Ford/Chevy/Dodge type question. Some of the newer types don't yet even have a tile industry standard associated with them. Not reasonable to even attempt to answer a question as broad as "[w]hat's the best out there?"

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 01-07-2022, 07:26 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If the same tiles are going on the walls, I would want to use a grout that would work in both places. Like Cx, I like using cement type grouts, Custom Prism is my favorite but there are others that work fine.

What type tiles and how wide are the joints?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2022, 07:27 PM   #8
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

A choice I've had very good results with is Prism grout from Homer Burrito...

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2022, 11:17 AM   #9
cbaum

I have used mapei flexcolor CQ for a bathroom floor and mapei ultracolor plus FA and I really didn't like working with the flexcolor at all. It didn't feel right and frankly I don't love the look of the grout afterward. It looks very 'unfinished' whereas the ultracolor FA looks incredible and professional. The warnings on the ultracolor FA are not a joke, it sets up fast.
Unread 01-12-2022, 09:15 PM   #10
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

For cementitious grout, I’m using Laticrete’s Permacolor or Custom’s Prism because they dry to the advertised color. It’s a real bummer when the grout dries “too light” compared to what you thought it was going to be.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2022, 09:02 AM   #11
jeffnc

In my experience all cementitious grout in a shower has to be sealed regardless of what the label says. It does work better than the premixed grouts. I've used Flexclor CQ and Laticrete Spectralock and they are similar - both need quick work to clean before the surface film starts to dry. But both give good results for me and neither actually need sealing.
Unread 01-13-2022, 10:17 AM   #12
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
In my experience all cementitious grout in a shower has to be sealed regardless of what the label says.
For what purpose, Jeff?

Unread 01-13-2022, 11:17 AM   #13
Dave Gobis
da Man!

Curious myself. Not a big believer in grout sealers. My interior cement grout is just fine after 26 years of use. My porch spends months under snow and ice every year and is also doing just fine. From my perspective performance it is more about the installation process. Poor grout jobs are rampant. I definitely don't like pre-mix.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2022, 11:23 AM   #14
jeffnc

Cementitious grouts that say they don't require sealing are basically for stain resistance as opposed to water absorption. Grout in a shower will absorb water more in some areas than others and get dark where water has absorbed and it just doesn't look good. Sealing the grout helps keep a more consistent look to the grout, not to mention the fact that the less water that seeps through the better.

So let me rephrase that - grout doesn't "have to be" sealed, but just because grout says "does not need sealing" it doesn't mean that water won't absorb into it and make it look darker when wet. In other words, sealing can still improve upon it, while with a premixed grout that says it doesn't require sealing, I don't see any improvement by sealing.

Last edited by jeffnc; 01-13-2022 at 12:31 PM.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2022, 03:12 PM   #15
cx
Moderator emeritus

Not seeing it, Jeff. The appearance of inconsistent water absorption in the grout joints can sometimes be made worse with the application of a penetrating sealer. And none of them prevents all moisture from penetrating the joints. All of them do, on the other hand, tend to retard moisture vapor leaving the joints, slowing the evaporation of water that has entered the joints.

Nothing at all harmful about moisture penetrating the grout joints or the tile in a properly constructed shower, either, that I'm aware of.

I just don't see the need, nor any real advantage to sealing grout in a shower at all. But that's:

My opinion; worth price charged.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase