Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-11-2022, 09:17 AM   #31
Jake12

Thanks Dan
So start taking tiles out? Looks like I’ll need to go 6” or so around drain to establish a new slope.
They’ve been in for about a month. Grouted a week ago.
Any recommendations on how best to do that? Should I get the grout out first or just try to pop the small ones by drain and see how it goes? Will I tear into Kerdi or should they separate above the Kerdi and then I can carefully clean down to Kerdi? I’m sure it will all vary but any tips on what I’m getting into is greatly appreciated. Tools, techniques, etc.
obviously killing me that I let this happen.
Everything else is finished and happy how it turned out. Can’t believe I messed this up.

Thank you
Scott
Unread 02-11-2022, 10:57 AM   #32
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I dunno, Scott, it depends on how much slope you have. If you remove the pennys, build up the area below, and reinstall them with less resulting slope you might just push the puddle out farther from the drain.

Regardless, the Kerdi does complicate things. If removing the pennys and the grout pulls the fleece off the Kerdi there won't be any left for the new mortar to bond to. Or, if the pennys and grout are really well bonded to the Kerdi, you run the risk of the Kerdi getting lifted off what it is adhered to below.

You won't know how it's going to go until you try, but it could be a whole can full of worms.

I'd almost consider cutting some slots into the edges of the stainless drain body. I'd definitely consider a squeegee.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2022, 11:16 AM   #33
Jake12

Dan

OK that’s what I’m thinking.
Notching the edge seems to be a good step. Any idea how tough that material is to cut? What tool would you recommend? Thinking a notch on each side.

Definitely squeegee for glass and floor. But I think I need to try something to improve it.

Thanks for the guidance.

Scott
Unread 02-11-2022, 12:08 PM   #34
ss3964spd

Cutting slots into the lip around the grate will only work if the lip is solid, and I have no idea if it is.

If it is, it won't be terribly hard to cut. First tool that comes to mind is a Dremel with a metal cutting disk. If I were going to do it I would measure carefully and cut a slot in the center of each of the 4 sides. I'd probably follow that up with a small, triangular file to create a V shaped opening. Be certain to remove any burrs. Might need to create corresponding slots in the bottom edge of the grate. Done right it might even look like they're supposed to be there.
Unread 02-11-2022, 01:14 PM   #35
Jake12

Fairly soft material. I used a multi tool. Worked pretty well.
I cut the 4 and a big help
However it is relatively thin. You can see looks like I cut through on the first one. What problem did I create now? Can a caulk that? Where will that water go?

Otherwise I think I’m getting close. Like the filing suggestion too.

Thanks
Attached Images

Unread 02-11-2022, 03:33 PM   #36
ss3964spd

Yeah, I see the hole, confirms that it isn't solid.

I don't think it's a problem though. Any water that gets in there is just going to hit the top of the flange and go down the drain.
Unread 02-11-2022, 04:42 PM   #37
Jake12

Thanks again Dan. That worked out better than expected. Drains a little slow but clears the surface water after not too long. I left it alone last night and the water never completely cleared. I was obviously very stressed. We’ll plan to wipe down but good it’s resolved for future.
On the Ditra Heat the pre filling was sort of a waste. I ended up walking over it many times to get access and I lay tile like a turtle. Anyway many of the “buttons” popped out and made a pretty good mess. A few ended up in my thinset but fortunately I think I caught all of them or my troweling was thick enough I didn’t have one hang up under a tile. It did stay intact over the cable so probably worth having it there to protect cables. Just thought I’d add for others benefit.
The cables tested out good. Have an electrician coming out to put a new breaker in next week and will hopefully all turn on properly.
Don’t know what I would do without the support and confidence you guys all provide to us. Can’t thank you, CX and the rest for the help.
I’ll post a pic.
Unread 02-11-2022, 04:44 PM   #38
Jake12

Didn’t go with the half wall. Glass is being installed next week.
Attached Images

Unread 02-11-2022, 05:13 PM   #39
ss3964spd

Huh, I didn't have that issue after pre-filling my Ditra Heat. Just curious, did you use a modified or unmodified to pre-fill?

Don't let your sparky install a GFCI breaker, the floor controller has one built in. I'll be curious if your floor makes a very brief audible crackling noise the very first time it is energized. Mine did - most unsettling. But it's been toasty toes for 3 seasons now.
Unread 02-11-2022, 05:56 PM   #40
Jake12

Versabond.
I can’t guess how much I walked over it. I think I got sidetracked on some other things and probably 100 in and outs over a few days. Where I was able to stay off it it held pretty well.
Appreciate the heads up on the Ditra Heat.
Unread 02-11-2022, 05:57 PM   #41
Jake12

I also only did the one coat so maybe your extra helped??
Unread 02-12-2022, 07:40 AM   #42
ss3964spd

It might have, but I wasn't on and off it very much prior to setting the tile.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase