Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Kaminari
Black Belt Rocketeer

Grout Boost mess from Big Store advice

I bought tile, grout, thinset and unfortunately grout boost from Lowes to redo our whole house.

The tile layers finished the first large room.

They had never used grout boost before and said they would prefer using water, but since I had bought the grout boost sales pitch from the Lowes employee hook-line-and-sinker, I asked them to try it.

Now I am thoroughly regretting it. The grout all turned splotchy and white. I called Mapei first. As soon as they heard I had added grout boost, they said I would have to call the grout boost manufacturer to get support and advice. (They had said that the white was probably due to efflorescence.)

So I called the support number on the Grout Boost bottle. They said it was efflorescence and that I would be able to clean it with 50/50 water and vinegar after 10 days.

I am so afraid to continue the rest of the house and we were on a schedule we were trying to meet before a family gathering after renovating out house.

Now after reading many reviews of the Grout Boost product, I feel like an idiot. Most all people using it are getting the same results with their grout turning white, even with darker colors.

Should I switch to using water and regular sealer for the rest of the house. We did do a small sample on some hardiebacker board and it looks much more even and darker color.

If we do the rest of the house with water and get better results, should I be able to go back and correct the first room (unfortunately are largest...) with Mapei Grout Refresh of the same color?

We are using Chamois color Kera Color. We really like the color with our tile, just not the white it turns with Grout Boost.

Please help.

Thanks,
Duane
Unread 06-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
Kaminari
Black Belt Rocketeer

bathroom grout advice?

We are using Mapei Keracolor (Chamois) throughout the house. We had been mixing Gout Boost with it and planned on using that also in the shower.

We have decided to probably stop using the Grout Boost and just use distilled water and spray on sealer later.

I had thought the Grout Boost and grout would be great in the shower, but now having second thoughts and have started readiong threads on this site that talk about other liquid grouts etc that supposedly do not have to be sealed.

Please advise me on what is best to use in the bathroom for tub and shower surrounds and building/tiling the whoer "pan".

I have already installed hardiebacker board around the bath surround and will and have tape and redguard.

I did see people mentioning redguard or fracture free for the floor also. Should that be "painted" on the floor before thinset and mosaic tiles for the shower floor?

I assume the Mapei Keracolor (Chamois) should be fine for the floor and side walls (we are going about 40" up fromthe floor)? Does the floor in the bathroom need anything under the thinset and tiles? We have a post tension slab and I have not seen any cracks so far. The house is 12 years old.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Duane
Unread 06-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
steve26

First thing I learned in TS , never mix products from two companies; not because of the warranty issues, just because of the different chemicals used in the products. I don’t even like to use thin set mortar from one manufacturer and the grout from another.
Second, if it is what they say it is you could use vinegar or you can Sulfamic acid. I would go straight to the Sulfamic acid.

Last edited by steve26; 06-12-2012 at 08:38 PM.
steve26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
Kaminari
Black Belt Rocketeer

Should I finish with the same or change midstream

Now I see that is good advice.

I am worried also about changing midstream to just water and grout or a different colored grout and then not being able to match colors at all.

Not sure if I should...

1. Just continue the same (using the Chamois grout and grout boost) and then try to use less water when sponging the tiles and clean any efforescence with vinegar and water.

2. Switch to just water and Mapei Chamois grout for remaining tiles and then use vinegar and water to clean the "efforenscenced" tiles and then use Mapei Grout Refresh to try and bring the color up the same.

3. Or switch to a darker Mocha colored grout with water or grout boost (my wife was wondering about this) and then going back after the 10 days and trying the darker color Grout Refresh to match the new darker Mocha color.

Just really hard to figure out the best thing. I wasn't expecting all the grout issues...

Any advice on whether to change midstream?
Unread 06-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
steve26

Why don’t you try a little spot in a closet or corner and take it from there.
Unread 06-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
Seattle Tile Cleaning
Seattle Tile Cleaning

At this point I would suggest just using water and grout and then colorsealing the whole thing after your done. The colorsealer will seal and color the grout at the same time and provides a much better sealer than a clear impregnating sealer.
Unread 06-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
Kaminari
Black Belt Rocketeer

Recommendations on which colorsealer?

We are using Mapei Chamois, so does Mapei have a colorsealer we should use for that color or should we use a better/different brand?

And should we use that on both the room that was already done with Mapei Chamois Keracolor grout and Grout Boost AND the additional parts of the house to be done with just water and the Chamois grout?

Sorry for so many questions trying to narrow the decisions down. Just trying to make the best decisions on tis going forward and to get teh best results with what we have already done.
Unread 06-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
Kaminari
Black Belt Rocketeer

Any advice on the bathroom questions above?

Any advice would be great on that.

I'm also thinking of downloading the eBooks regarding tiling bathrooms mentioned in this forum.
Unread 06-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Duane.

Sometimes a fella hasta be a little more patient than four minutes between bumps for assistance. It's sad, but some of our best helpers in our all-volunteer army actually think they have a life outside our forums. But if you give'em a chance, they'll usually come through for you, eh?

Not all manufacturers have easy to navigate websites, but that's still the place to start for questions like, "Does Company X have a Product B?"

Mapei has their line of grout sealer, which they refer to as Grout Refresh. I've never tried it, but I doubt it's much different from any of the handful of others we've tested. You might wanna contact them about the particular color you're looking for if you can't find a chart on their site.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
Kaminari
Black Belt Rocketeer

Thanks cx

Thanks for the welcome cx.

I actually have a bottle of the Mapei Grout Refresh Chamois. I wasn't sure that was the same thing as "colorsealer".

My 4 min second post was more referring to a bathroom question I thought I had asked separately but ended up in thois thread just under my first post.

I hadn't heard any responses on teh bathroom and maybe that's because it got "attached" to this thread.

I was trying to keep them separate figuring someone would tell me I should have created a new post for that.

Thanks again,
Duane
Unread 06-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #11
cx
Moderator emeritus

The threads are combined here for continuity so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. We can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

I didn't address any of the other questions on accounta I'm not at all clear what you're building/have built there. Perhaps if you'd tell us just how you've constructed the shower pan and walls we'd be better able to help with that.

All I see thus far is that you've installed CBU on your tub surround, but nothing at all about the shower construction except that you wanna put mosaic tiles on the shower floor.

We'll need to know a lot more about your construction and some photos would likely help a lot. Use the paper-clip icon above the Reply dialog box to attach photos stored on your computer.

And we'll go from there.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #12
Kaminari
Black Belt Rocketeer

shower and tub

I have put the hardiebacker board around the tub in one bathroom.

In the other bathroom there is a shower that currently have a plastic or fiberglass surround and pan that I plan to rip out after the tub is finished. (We only have two bathrooms, so trying to keep shower one functional until the tub one is done and ready to use)

I have the following materials:
* hardiebacker installed (at least on tub surround)
* tape for seams and Mapei Mapelastic AquaDefense (Like Redguard?) to "paint" over tape.
* tile for the shower and tub surounds
* "bullnose" for the side edges of the shower tile
* I framed two niches for shampoo, etc.
* Thinset
* Mapei Keracolor Chamois grout
* Grout Boost

I had planned on building the front part of the shower pan with either three stacked 2x4 studs covered around with hardiebacker and then sealed with "Redguard" or using some small blocks to build the same thing out of a small block wall.

So trying to see if I am missing anything that I need to make a leakproof shower.

Thanks again for all the help,
Duane

Loo
Unread 06-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #13
Kaminari
Black Belt Rocketeer

And thanks

Thanks for the calrification on the combined threads. That makes sense by project so people can see al the things invoved.
Unread 06-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #14
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Duane, welcome to the forum.

This thread is being added to faster than I can type with the merging and extra posts being added on. So I'll start by saying I'm only going to talk about your grout color issues:
"My grout dried to a lighter color than I expected" is one of the most popular topics on the forum. While an excess of water during clean up can lead to grout drying light, it's not the only factor. How absorbent the tile and/or substrate is, the temperature, humidity, whether a breeze is running through the house, and even sunlight shining on the tile/grout affects the speed of the grout drying and it plays games with the color.

You've done a test and are apparently doing something different or exposing it to different drying conditions to obtain the darker color. But rather than get all wrapped up in that, I'd change courses if this was my job. I'd switch to a grout product that I could count on to consistently dry to the "sample" color. Laticrete's Permacolor and SpectraLock are two such products. Permacolor is a cementitious sanded grout (can be sealed)...and SpectraLock is an epoxy grout (never needs sealing). What size grout joints do you have?

Buy the way. I'm not a fan of using the paint-like grout colorants to hide grout drying problems on new installs. I'd rather correct the problem immediately than hide it. Removing fresh grout is rather easy (provided that there is no delicate layer of waterproofing under the tile that could be compromised) ...but realize it gets tougher with each passing day. For me, I'd rather save the use of colorants for old installs that removing the grout would be cost prohibitive or impossible. If you do use a colorant, make sure it's compatible for use in a wet area if that happens to be your application.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #15
Kaminari
Black Belt Rocketeer

grout joint size

We are using 3/16" joint and 20" tiles that I believe are about 1/4" thick

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase